“Good food, great service.”
Review of Il Cavatappi

Il Cavatappi
Ranked #1 of 33 Restaurants in Varenna
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

This is a very small and delicious Italian restaurant. Food is very good. Service is great. You can see the chef cooking the food in the kitchen. Lovely, friendly atmosphere.

Reviewed 21 February 2018

We looked up this restaurant earlier during our stay in Varenna and tried out luck for an early dinner one evening without a reservation (although I think its best to make a reservation). We were very lucky to be seated and enjoyed one of our best meals in Varenna. Every dish was perfect and tasty. Proper locally sourced and cooked meals.

1  Thank Amir S
Reviewed 27 December 2017

Months later, I’m still thinking about this restaurant, so I figured I should leave a review. On our last day in Lake Como, we stopped by Il Cavatappi in the morning. The proprietor told us that there were no reservations available, but people often cancel, so if we came back around 5:00 he would see what he could do. We showed up promptly at 5:00, and we were lucky enough to be seated in the alley way (our preference). Throughout our meal, many people stopped by to get a table, and were turned away. So, be sure to make a reservation in advance. Our whole meal was delightful from beginning to end. The service was excellent. We were the only guests seated outside, but we didn’t feel abandoned. The waiter was very friendly, and conversed with us about the menu. I love tomato, basil, and mozzarella, but I’m not sure I can eat it ever again after eating it here. They use local mozzarella, and I’ve never had anything like it! We had several courses. I will say that the least impressive was dessert (still good, but less memorable). Anyhow, we felt so lucky that this was our last meal in Italy. We hope to return one day.

Reviewed 10 November 2017 via mobile

We visited this restaurant during a weekend-trip to Varenna/Como in october. It is a small and cozy restaurant, around 8 tables and just one waiter. I'm glad that we called ahead to book a table! The food was great. Absolutely worth a visit!

Reviewed 31 October 2017

Well, let's just start by saying the people of Varenna are so wonderful and the town is enchanting. Match that with the most amazing restaurant down this little alleyway. It is open only for a short period of time at lunch and dinner, and boasts 7 (maybe 8) tables. Every dish is beautifully done, the ambiance very romantic and tons of locals. The staff is gracious and the chef creative. And, the best dish hands down, as rated by the locals? They travel on the ferry to get the meatloaf!! You MUST get reservations and don't worry if you can't get there for dinner - lunch was just as good.