“unique experience, great hosts”
Review of Sapori Solari - MOVED

Sapori Solari
Price range: US$6 - US$37
Cuisines: Deli, Italian
Description: Bistrot butchery with degustation of special high quality hams and cheeses. The evening end with an Italian liquors selection and "cantucci". Casual, friendly and cosy atmosphere.
Reviewed 9 August 2013

We arrived on our first night in Milan and headed out to this great place to eat. We were served a number of delcious plates of cured and smoked meats and cheese. You just will not find in any old delicatessen. We chose the wine and the plates began to arrive. Giuseppe tells you what they are and where they are from. Here you find great hosts who make you feel really at home. It is a place with only a few tables so you get a very special and personal service. It is truly a unique experience...so we went twice! If you are in the area and like meat, cheese and wine, make sure you go and visit! We hope to visit again...

Reviewed 12 April 2013 via mobile

I keep this short. Amazing. Just go there, its a taste experience like not other. Giuseppe and Tino have a selection of artisan meat and cheese and its delicious. Must visit.

Reviewed 27 February 2013

Me and my friends went to Sapori Solari last night. The atmosphere and the food was unbeleiveable . The owner Guiseppie and Tino make you feel like you are in your own home.The food just keeps coming and it only become better and better. The meats that are served to you are very special , they are something you don't have chance to eat every day.This place is a hidden gem it is worth the taxi cab ride.And you do not have to worry about getting a cab back to your hotel there is plenty of cabs in area. The area is a local neighborhood which is very safe . I would rank this restaurant number 1.

Reviewed 21 October 2012

My husband and I visited Sapori Solari three weeks ago during our vacation in Milan. I had seen the Tripadvisor reviews and for six months looked forward to visiting. I asked our hotel to make our reservation for Tuesday, October 2. When we arrived that Tuesday, there was no reservation for us. The owner looked at his list and said, "lunedi". We were shown the reservation list and saw that our name was listed for Monday (I assume the hotel was responsible). Heartbroken that we had "missed" our reservation, it must have shown in my face. The owner looked at us and saw how disappointed we were and held up his finger to indicate to wait. He looked around his tiny shop and rearranged some chairs and wonderfully agreed to accommodate us. He placed two stools and a small table right by his deli case and that's how our magical evening began.

Giuseppe is the owner of Sapori Solari and does not speak English. We do not speak Italian but we were fortunate enough that his lovely girlfriend arrived and was able to translate for us. His tiny shop fits about 20 snugly, and we were sharing the evening with a group of locals. As other reviewers have explained, this place is not a restaurant, but a deli by day and by night a shop that allows Giuseppe to showcase his most prized products to patrons in the know. To enjoy this experience, you must love food, and in particular, meat!

Our evening began with Giuseppe preparing a large plate of marinated, sliced beef, with a large round of buffalo milk ricotta drizzled in olive oil. What followed was a a four hour experience of a lifetime. Plate after plate was presented, each a different selection of pork, mortadella with black truffles, wild boar salami and smoked goose. Giuseppe's assistant Tino was slicing bread and everyone ensured that the wine continued to flow. In addition to the meats, grilled zucchini, grilled eggplant and pickled onions were served. Tino presented us with little bundles of lardo sprinkled with pepper, ground coffe and honey. A delight to the taste buds. A small plate of spaghetti was served. A wonderful cheese that was encased in grape skins and seeds. Giuseppe took a hot salami that had been cured but not dried and removed the casing a spread it on some toasted crusty bread. On top he placed paper thin slices of lardo that melted into the heat of the salami. We were on a wonderful Italian culinary adventure. Throughout the evening we shared warm conversation with Giuseppe, with the help of his girlfriend. We definitely did not feel like customers, but one of the family.

For dessert, we were presented with a dish of mascarpone and ricotta, with sliced red grapes, dusted in cocoa and drizzled in honey. And somehow we found room for biscotti.

Giuseppe enjoys his trade and it is obvious by the pride he takes in providing others with his favorite selections. I am grateful that he was kind enough to fit us in on that busy Tuesday night in spite of the reservation mix up. His girlfriend translated for him, explaining that when he saw the disappointment in my face, he knew he had to accommodate us. I'm so happy that he did.

When we left we took pictures with our friends for the evening, Giuseppe dressed me in an apron from his shop, and there were hugs and kisses goodbye.

I do not exaggerate when I say that I experienced three masterpieces while in Milan. I saw Da Vinci's The Last Supper, I attended the opera La Boheme at La Scala and above all, I experienced a meal at Sapori Solari.

2  Thank knd24
Reviewed 13 August 2012

The Saporisolari restaurant is much more than a place to eat. Going there is just special. Eating is only one of the fantastic things you are going to do there. The unique service is absolutely incredible. After some minutes Giuseppe, the owner, is already your best friend. You do not have to order any thing, just choose your wine, tell him what you like and dislike and he will choose and bring to you the best things you can eat.
My case was very special, because my wife is pregnant and she cannot eat the raw salumi and some cheeses. He deinfected the knives and "cutting maschine" to prepare the things for her forst and after that he started to cut the meat and other stuff she could not eat.
If you are in Milan, Saporisolari is your main stop.

1  Thank Eduardo M