“Local, nice atmosphere”

Price range: US$23 - US$47
Neighbourhood: Navigli
Neighbourhood: Navigli
Reviewed 8 November 2017 via mobile

Arrived before kitchen was opened, that made us lucky to still get a table for opening time. Attentive and helpful staff, gluten free pasta and other gluten free options are available as well. First course (we asked pasta) was really big portion, we were already full finishing it. Second course we chose cod with lentils in black squid ink and grilled rooster, both was quite tasty. For dessert white chockolate mousse and creme caramel, here absolutely the mousse was the winner. Good wine recommendation.
Place was full of locals, looks we were the only tourists, which is a good sign for food quality and for price.

2  Thank Adrienn N
GIORGIO R, Proprietario at San Mauri, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2017

Dear Adrienn N, thanks very much for your wonderful review, we hope to see you soon, best regards.

Reviewed 18 October 2017

We try and visit San Mauri every year before we fly out for Australia. We followed the brothers who own this restaurant from their previous hosteria in another location in Milan as we rate what they offer so highly. Think Italian favourites but with a cutting edge and contemporary flair. Tonight my husband had the Duck Ravioli with a smoked seafood sauce and followed up with the duck. For me, the cuttlefish, fennel and orange salad was a superb starter and I the second course of galletto (young rooster) was a delight, beautifully prepared, flavoursome and tender. Sadly, we couldn’t manage dessert but enjoyed a great bottle of red wine from Basilicata and had a digestivo to finish up. We’ll be back next year! Thank you Giorgio, Luca and Paolo - as usual your excellent service and friendly welcome makes us almost feel like locals.

1  Thank Bevgrub
GIORGIO R, Proprietario at San Mauri, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2017

Dear Bevgrup, thanks very much for your wonderful review, we hope to see you soon, best regards.

Reviewed 16 October 2017

I went there because of the very good ratings and was very much disappointed. We went for lunch around 2pm and went for the pasta gratin as primi piatti and the meat Tatar and veal filet as secondi.
The gratin was very flimsy and did not taste like a fresh dish (I know it's baked in the oven) but for me this was the worst Italian pasta experience in my life (again maybe this is a north Italian dish and it comes like that but then I would never put it on the menu). Our table next to us made the same experience and left after the primi piatti. Then the meat tartar was the second disappointment with the quality of the meat just not up to the standard it should be as it was hard to chew.
Seems like a day of for them as ratings seem quite good. We just felt like having a simple lunch but this was very disappointing.

1  Thank Interista82
Reviewed 15 October 2017 via mobile

My husband and I celebrated our last night in Italy at San Mauri. We found this restaurant while wandering around Milan to see the Last Supper. What a find - the goose liver, duck, risotto and wine were excellent as was the service. I wish I had room for dessert. The wine list was good too - great Merlot recommended. I wish we discovered this on day one and we would have returned.

1  Thank LAFoodandTravelBuffs

Dear LAFoodandTravelBuffs, thanks very much for your wonderful review, we hope to see you soon, best regards.

Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

Walked in on a Saturday night without reservations. They accommodated us as they had an empty table. We were so lucky and I’ll tell you why: our meal was one of the most delicious we’ve ever had Italy or elsewhere. We were served by the owner who was both personable and professional. He made suggestions for us. While we perused the menu we had some wine and chunks of cheese served gratis. The ambiance was soft with relaxing music off in the background.

We made our food choices. For appetizers we had a heavenly risotto with mushrooms and board of sliced meats and pickled vegetables. Our entrees consisted of a filet of turbot and pork tenderloin with the most amazing seasoning of rosemary and other spices. Both were outrageously delicious. For dessert we shared the dark chocolate decadence which topped off the meal.

This place is not to be missed. The quality of the food, the textures and the tastes were beyond our expectations.

1  Thank larryws

Dear larryws, thanks very much for your wonderful review, we hope to see you soon, best regards.