“Not only the best but unbelievable valuet”

Piccolo Hotel Ristoro Olina
Price range: US$46 - US$108
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 3 June 2018

This place has outstanding food and is also the least expensive of the restaurants we used. The lamb chops (5) and potato was 12 euro (one of the specials of the day) and exquisitely done. The ravioli my friend had was the best I have ever encountered anywhere in the world and obviously made on the premises. The service was terrific. Salad and chocolate mouse desert (6 euro each) were fine. We all got complimentary aperitifs and a small starter. The only minor negative was the wine was a little dearer than we paid elsewhere. This is a must if you visit Orta San Giulio.

1  Thank JournoNsw

Reviewed 3 October 2017

We had a private upstairs dining room and a celebratory dinner. It started with lake trout marinated with sour cream and aromatic herbs. Next came crispy Toma cheese and it's fondue that was over the top rich and delicious. Than a cube of pork and it's garnish. They served me a large cheese slab that was fried because I don't eat pork. There was so much that we all shared the delicious substitution. Next was pumpkin cream that served to cleanse the palate. The main course was veal with baked potatoes. I was served a perfectly cooked piece of salmon. It was really delicious. Desert was caprese cake. We tried a few local wines that were great. The service was terrific and we were made to feel very welcome. The only negative is the decor and lighting were not good. One table had a bright fluorescent light over it the rest of us had ambient lighting from that light. The bathrooms have been painted/decorated by the owner, quirky and I liked it. This was an amazing meal.

Reviewed 12 September 2017 via mobile

We chose this on impulse, as it looked less touristy than most others. The service was friendly, and multi-lingual (we don't speak Italian). The food was excellent and unusual. We were served a free aperitif, and amuse-bouche, and the espresso was the best we've had this trip. Highly recommended...and the Alessi-flavoured decor was a nice touch

1  Thank RichardBR3
Reviewed 10 September 2017

Owned and run by the same person as Hotel Aracoeli, with equally weird décor and slightly shambolic service. Our party of 6 were offered a strange menu in which everything was 12 euros and were told we had to choose 2 dishes each. I said I only wanted one and so ordered salad as well as pasta. Before bringing the dishes the waitress returned and said she was confused and thought we were on half board. We could have just one dish each if we wished. Portions big, though not special in any way, just filling. Ordered seafood pasta and could have made it better myself.
This hotel owner (who runs Hotel Olina, Hotel Aracoeli, as well as this restaurant) needs to decide what his business is supposed to be - as it is, s/he seems to be a jack of all trades but master of none. Certainly service is lacking. Décor is minimally comfortable and decidedly odd.

Reviewed 2 September 2017 via mobile

On arrival there was no one at the desk. I looked at the list of reservations to find our name to point to. A waiter came over, took the page of reservations, turned it over and slapped it down like I was trying to steal the nuclear codes. Strike 1. Our waitress was bathed in so much perfume you could smell her two tables away. Strike 2. We asked for a wine suggestion. We were not not asked if we wanted a bottle or a glass. The waiter came over, filled two glasses without offering a taste first and walked away with the bottle before we could even have a sip. Strike 3. Probably should have left at that point but all the reviews said the food was fabulous. Not ours. Adequate at best. Strikes 4, 5 and 6. Extremely disappointed and will never return.

P.S. the waiters were very friendly if you spoke Italian. We don't.

P.P.S. the dining room has a western wagon with a rusted 59 gallon drum on it I which a cactus is growing. It gets worse from there. For those who say don't get out off by how the entry room looks, we were seated in the entry room.