“Winter visit in Venice”

Residence Palazzo Odoni
Ranked #133 of 387 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed 25 December 2017

We spent two days in Venice and stayed at the Residence Palazzo Odoni. The location is perfect for discovering Venice, not that touristy area even though it's quite close to the bus station. The rooms we stayed were comfortable, quiet and private. The owner was very helpful in everything and we really appreciated the little info package that he provided us with to find everything necessary nearby (supermarket, bank, post, breakfast etc). We loved the Christmas decorations that were up, it made the visit so much more festive. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 December 2017

We chose the Caravaggio suite with canal view for our family of 5. It was spacious but the bed configuration was a king bed, 1 single sofa bed and a double sofa bed. The location was great and it was a short walk from the Venice Santa Lucia train station. As there is no bell hop onsite, it was a bit of hard work to get large (and heavy) luggage up to the apartment. The suite was decorated in traditional Venetian style which means it is a bit dated, which is the attraction of staying in a historical palace! It even has a jacuzzi bath tub but I think it was not working.
Although it has shared access with the sister hotel, there is no breakfast service onsite. However, in the little handbook provided by owner, we found a few options very nearby and in particular enjoyed the pastries from "Tonolo" which is a stone's throw away.
This place is highly recommended for families who need space as this comes with a premium in Venice.

Room Tip: Caravaggio suite accommodates 5 and offers a very nice canal view
Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 November 2017 via mobile

Our stay at the Palazzo Odoni was great. The old elegant venezian style of the Palazzo is stunning and unique. We stayed at the Tiziano Suite and it was big and comfortable. The location it’s also pretty good with a nice view at the canal and close (15 min) to Piazza San Marco and 5 min to the parking lot. Definitely will be back.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 November 2017

I wish to thank the owner Michele for a wonderful experience. He sent us info on how to get from the airport to Piazza Roma by bus which was the easy and fast way to reach Residence Palazzo Odoni. We arrived early and he greeted us at the steps of a beautiful Courtyard and helped us carry our luggage up the long flight of steps. He then said we can store the luggage and our room was being cleaned and would be ready in a few hours and gave us the keys. We went out and got lost in Venice. It was fun being lost and we saw some very beautiful piazzas in Santa Croce and were shocked when we rounded a corner and was by the Rialto Bridge, We then went back and went into our lovely 2 story apartment the Tiziano. My husband stayed up late in the living room admiring the people and breathtaking canal below. I will post a view from our room. The bedroom was up several flights of stairs. Which at 60 and 65 we really didn't mind as I took my time going up and down. We met one of Michele's dogs but not the larger one I saw in pictures. The rooms were cleaned perfectly every day. If you want coffee or drinks the cafes are right outside a few steps to the left or right on. We liked the ones on the left when leaving for coffee and on the right for drinks. Thank you again, Michele, for a pleasant stay and hopefully, we can come back in a few years and enjoy your hospitality again

Room Tip: Tiziano room has a great view of a canal
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 November 2017 via mobile

Communication with the owner is great before you arrive but once you meet him, he is not welcoming and/or friendly. I’m surprised by all the good reviews. We stayed 3 nights. The second night, someone stayed above us and you could hear every single footstep. It was so loud that the mirror and vanity were shaking against the walls which led to no sleep. The last night, there was no hot water and I could not find the night porter on duty. We were left to shower with cold water. Mind you, it was less than 50 degrees Fahrenheit outside. On top of that, Michele was very rude towards my family. Our sink was clogged the first day we got there and we had only used it to wash our hands. Michele said he would fix it right away but as we were conversing, he asked us to “speak English”. Are you kidding me? We are from the United States where English is our first language. He had a very thick accent which is to be expected but he’s asking us to speak English? On top of that, when we checked out, I asked him.. “everything all good?” He replied “it’s a mess up there. Stuff all over the floor. It’s ok the maid will do her job”. I couldn’t tell if he was trying to be funny or not. We did not leave the apartment a mess by any means. Yes, the beds were not made but obviously they need to change the sheets for the next guests so I would assume it would be ok to leave the beds unmade... also, we asked for clean towels at one point. It didn’t seem like the Palazzo was fully packed with guests but they didn’t even have any towels left!!!

Also, I saw someone else write that Michele charged them 4€ a day per person. The tax is supposed to be 2.50€ a day per person so he is lying and scamming people. He also said that this is cash only so this leads me to believe that he is pocketing the money. I am currently staying at another apartment in another city and the tax is 2.50€ and they allowed us to pay by credit card.

The only positive thing I have to say about this place is that it is very close to Piazzale Roma which is where the bus drops you off. It also isn’t too far from the train station. If you are going to St Marks Square, it is about a 25 minute walk if you don’t get lost. I loved the city of Venice so getting lost wasn’t a big deal to me. If I ever come back, I would not stay here. There are plenty of other apartments when you check Orbitz for about the same prices.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Michele G, Proprietario at Residence Palazzo Odoni, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2017

Buongiorno Lo,
It is so unfortunate that we didn’t understand each other. I realize that the language barrier is definitely a serious issue between us.
I am Italian and I speak english the best I can. My clients always understand me and are so nice to speak slowly and with simple terms.
This is probably why I have so many wonderful reviews. my guests are always welcomed and they appreciate the Palace and respect the Palace.

You probably needed a different apartment, with no ‘1800 furnitures, ancient carpets, original Murano chandeliers, fine sheets, brocade and a rare floor of original “marmo veneziano” of 1600.
The atmosphere of the 15th century Palazzo Odoni creates a magic empathy between the Palace and the guests staying in the apartments.
This is maybe why they never leave clothes, food & trash all days, on the floor and all over the apartment (even causing bad smell ) and all the reviews are wonderful.

I assume that this is just not the kind of place that meet your different needs. It can happen.

The only big problem is your accusation of pocketing the money of the city hall. Did you get how serious is your statement ?
You can be persecuted for something like this.
There is an official folder in the apartment with the LAW according to Venice city hall;
every single hotel/B&B/ apartment has a different price depending on the category it belongs. Residence Palazzo Odoni tax is 4 euro (per day and per person) and it’s MANDATORY to collect the money in cash.
I have no problem in putting this in writing. You might have a problem for your accusation.
I will let you know if I decide to sue you.