Hotel Canal Grande
US$313
US$278
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Boscolo Venezia, Autograph Collection(Venice)(Great Value!)
US$371
Hotel Dona Palace(Venice)
US$363
getaroom.com
2,252 results
All reviewstrain stationwater taxiprestige roombeautiful hotelsmall terracefour poster bedthe hotel staffwatch the boatsacross the bridgemain buildingantiche figurepastriessister hotelvenetian stylesanta crocemurano glass factoryan upgrade
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 December 2011

How rare is it that every review of a place is a positive one? Particularly when there are over 380 of them? I was surprised – and, oddly enough, skeptical -- when I noticed that there is nary a negative review for this hotel here on Trip Advisor. So, despite the fact that this “dark horse” showed up late in my debate about what hotel to choose in Venice, I booked it. What a fortunate choice, since it turns out all these glowing reviews are right: Hotel Canal Grande is a perfect place to stay in Venice. Each staff member I encountered was helpful and solicitous, the rooms are lovely, the hotel spotless, and although the location is a bit removed from the center of the touristic melee in this town, I consider that a good thing (plus, it’s only a couple minutes walk to the nearest vaporetto stop, which will convey you into the fray). The night of my arrival, I stayed in one of the rooms in a newer building adjacent to the main hotel, appointed in the cream silks you can see in the photos. At ground level with windows facing an alley, the room was rather dark, and smelled too strongly of air freshener. After opening the windows (chilly, in November), I could have lived with the scent, but the darkness was a little depressing. In the morning, I asked at the desk if I could have one of the blue rooms, just because they looked nicer on the website. And here is one mark of a good hotel: they accommodated my request graciously and without demur, even though there was no compelling reason for it. As in, there was nothing wrong with the first room, I just like the color blue better than cream. It’s also possible that my second room, the Casanova, which is in the attic, might have been a higher price since its windows faced onto the Grand Canal. If so, the hotel staff didn’t mention it; rather, they just fulfilled my request (and remembered to remove the air freshener, if there had been one in this room, without me having to ask). The Casanova room was a little smaller than my original one, but this didn’t matter to me. It was decorated in the gorgeous sky blue silk you can see on the website, bright and sunny during the day, and snug at night. Being at the top of the building, it was also quieter without any upstairs neighbors treading above my head. Continental breakfast is included in a cheery breakfast room, and here again the staff is perfect – cheerful and accommodating. It’s possible there are room service items that you can order to your room throughout the day and evening – I didn’t look into it. There’s a small bar from which you could pick up a drink in the evening, if your room does not have an honor bar (some do, mine didn’t). I think the rooms have free WiFi – I left my computer at home – but there’s also a computer in the lobby in case you have a burning need to check in on Facebook. There may be a couple of free entries with your stay; I believe one of the desk workers mentioned that I could go to the casino or a glass blower on Murano, although I did not end up doing either; too much else to see. My final observation is that when I checked out, after 5 nights, the desk person asked very specifically if everything had been all right with my stay. Yes, I said. Rather than leave it there, he said “Is there anything we could do better or differently?” No, actually, there wasn’t: Hotel Canal Grande delivered a perfect stay.

Room Tip: Some rooms have been added in adjacent buildings on the square. They're newer and larger, but if you want a canal view, ask to be in the main building.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank supergirl_sf
Reviewed 12 December 2011

My husband & I stayed here for 5 nights on our honeymoon in the Giambattisa Tiepolo suite. It was absolutely gorgeous and so clean! We were both impressed with this hotel, from their help organising the water taxi on arrival, to the excellent maid service and helpful staff at breakfast. Would definitely recommend. Excellent situation too - just far enough away from the main tourist sites to feel quiet, but close enough that you can easily walk to St Mark's Square & Rialto. Also very close to train & bus stations and vaporetto stops. Loved Venice and this hotel was definitely a big part of the reason!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 December 2011

Superb hotel in a very quiet square overlooking the Grand Canal. In fact considering one of the main walking through routes from the station to St Marks Sq runs through the back of the square it is amazing how tranquil it is. The staff here through booking to departure were superb, my main contact was with Giani and Alessandro both of whom could not do enough, in fact every member of staff we met was superb. We were in the new annex, which whilst a bit disappointing not to be in the main hotel, soon became very novel, as being situated in the residential area of Venice anyone looking on would have thought we were a local.
The rooms were very very nice and comfortable with everything you would need on hand or a phone call away. There is a mini bar fridge in the room, without the little doors to trigger a charge, so plenty of room for you own bottles of something.
Some folks have commented about the distance from the hotel to St Marks, well considering the only choice of transport is by foot or water (Vaporetto stop 3 mins walk away) What a pleasant city to walk through, or better still get lost in.
Overall the Hotel Canal Grande set the tone for a really nice weekend.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank John-Boy-Saint
Reviewed 3 December 2011

I stayed in this hotel for one night. Though not cheap, some of their rooms offer great value. From Piazzale Roma, the walking distance is not terribly long (about 10-15 minutes), but it is strongly advisable to study the walking directions to the hotel.

As for service, it did not start well. While I managed to find the hotel with two heavy bags and a backpack in tow, surprisingly the man at reception did not offer to assist until I made it to the desk. It was then that he had the porter place my bags in storage. I was informed the room would not be available for some time and proceeded to a small deck situated right along the canal where there are some tables and chairs from which one can admire the views.

Fortunately things did improve once my room became available. The staff walked me over to a "new" building that is part of the hotel. These rooms are located within the square about five or six buildings away. Once inside, one can see this location is well maintained as quality, security, and comfort are immediately evident. Public access is prohibited and limited to guests and staff. My room is on the second floor located along a quiet calle (small street). After a quick tour, my bags were delivered up to the room. Inside there is enough room for a double bed, small desk and armoire. Two windows provide sufficient natural light. The bathroom is well kept and clean, though much smaller than expected. Functionally, everything worked as expected. I had no problems with maintaining a comfortable temperature in the room and slept very well on the supportive bed. The shower earns high marks with its modern fixtures and ample water pressure. Lastly, sound insulation seems excellent as I did not detect any noise from outside or from other rooms.

Later in the day, I did receive commendable assistance at the reception desk for any questions and concerns I had about getting around and finding a place to eat. They were even able to help me share a water taxi with other guests heading over to the cruise terminal.

The next morning, I found their excellent breakfast to offer the usual choices of breads and pastries, yogurt, fruit salad, cold meats and cheeses, and fruit juices. Coffee and cappuccino are terrific. The breakfast area is adequate for all guests. Even when busy, service is attentive, and the overall ambiance is highly enjoyable.

On the day of departure, while leaving my room, one of the hotel staff (I wish I could recall her name) saw that I needed assistance with my bags. She helped me navigate both of them down the narrow staircase and even insisted helping me on the way back to the main building. When the water taxi arrived, luggage was again handled professionally by the staff.

Pros:
Services is personal and attentive, almost excellent.
Quiet room and comfortable bed.
Quality breakfast.
Located in a quiet square away from the crowds.
Proximity to Piazzale Roma, Santa Lucia railway station, and Marittima Cruise Terminal.

Cons:
Small double room.
No elevator in adjacent building (which was not an issue since the staff was very helpful with my luggage).

Room Tip: When planning a stay in Venice, definitely book early for best rates and selection. Rooms adjacent to a calle can be less noisy.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 December 2011

Hotel Canal Grande prides itself on sitting right by the grand canal in Venice. However, perhaps as a result of its popularity, the hotel now houses several rooms at adjoining buildings, which no longer offers you the feel of staying by the Canal. Naturally, you could still choose to get one of those expensive rooms with a view.

That little gripe aside, the hotel was immaculately kept, and the furnishings provided were nothing short of splendid. The heating and ventilation system was without a doubt the best we have had in our entire trip, which was a huge bonus in the Venetian cold.

The location was a 5 minute walk from the train station and the nearest water buses, which made for convenient travelling. Getting to St Mark's took around half an hour on foot.

The breakfast area was charming, and offered direct views of the canal. The breakfast spread and service were also excellent, and were successful in tempting us towards spending a full hour on breakfast.

All in all, it was a very pleasant stay in what I'd deem a luxury hotel. Wasn't exactly the cheapest hotel, but then again, it's Venice that we're at. Thanks for the great stay! :)

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is in the main building itself
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple