“Fantastic location, better hotel than I expected”

Starhotels Splendid Venice
Ranked #67 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed 12 April 2012

My first trip to Europe in 20 years, and this was my first hotel. It exceeded my expectations. People were friendly, rooms were clean and functional, and the breakdfast was great. It was so easy to walk to the great places in Venice from here. Compared to the prices I saw for other hotels, this was great.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Craig B
Write a ReviewReviews (2,746)

Reviewed 11 April 2012

Having just returned from a 3 night break in Venice, I could not help feeling very cross upon leaving this hotel. Firstly the check in process was so slow made even worse by grumpy staff. The room itself was ok, I had booked a suite but it was so small in the bedroom area that there was just enough room to walk around the end of the bed as it was so close to the windows, maybe it was the shape of the room !. The decoration is nice however and the bathroom a good size. The location is wonderful, so near to everything and situated on a lovely little canal with lot's of good shops, cafe's etc nearby.
My problem really started at checkout - I left breakfast to pay the bill as we were being collected by a water taxi & I wanted to be organised. The man at the front desk was friendly at first asking me about the mini bar, wifi etc , all of which I agreed with, then he said I would be charged 3 days of extra breakfast for the child, no problem I said however we only had breakfast on the second & third morning. He then became quite rude saying he would have to check with the breakfast staff, " fine " I said, " however I am telling you we did not have breakfast on the first morning". He then proceeded to make a call & leave me standing for 10 minutes while he attended to another guest - meanwhile the lady in charge of the breakfast area came in, looked me up & down & said she would have to check. At this point I was really loosing my patience as I had been waiting now almost 25 minutes - I really did not care if I paid for the breakfast or not, it was the attitude that disappointed me. I then asked the other staff member behind the desk if I could pay her as my taxi was now waiting, but was told that he was dealing with it & I would have to wait. Eventually he attended to me & said yes I had not had breakfast on the first day !!!!! I think he got the message by my face that I was not impressed, however no apology was forthcoming over the delay & rudeness. One other thing to note is that every time we went to our room , the key card would not work & we would have to go to reception to have it reprogrammed - once or twice is understandable but every time is a bit of a joke. Having travelled extensively throughout the world , I find it very disappointing that front desk staff can let a hotel down so badly - whatever happened to the customer is always right ?

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank oscarspet
splendidvenice2011, Direttore at Starhotels Splendid Venice, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2012

Dear Oscarspet,
first of all thank you very much for choosing our hotel for your stay in Venice and for dedicating a bit of your time to us also after your departure.
Your comment is very important to us. I will verify with the relevant head of department the better understand the situation and be well assured that we will definetly work on what you have kindly pointed out on your comment. Please feel free to contact me if you come back to Venice, we would be very happy to welcome you back and to show you our high standard of service.
Best regards,
Salvatore Pisani

Reviewed 9 April 2012

We thought this hotel was excellent, and would definitely consider staying here again if we return to Venice. The staff were exceptionally polite, the breakfast was great and the restaurant was incredible on the one occasion we ate there.
The location was perfect, almost exactly half way between Rialto bridge and Piazza San Marco, so in a city where it is very easy to get lost we could always find our way back to the hotel by following the plentiful signs to either.
The room was spotless, with a nice view over the canal. If I had one complaint it was that the "double" bed was actually two singles pushed together, and on a very polished floor they kept sliding apart very easily. Hardly a major complaint though!
We would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Venice. I can't, however, comment on the price, as our stay was paid for by Airmiles so I don't know the normal prices.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 April 2012

This was my first time at this hotel after many trips to venice.. If I return there I would definitely stay there again.. Wonderful location, on a small canal.. Lovely rooms and great helpful staff.. A real winner!!!!

Room Tip: be on the canal if possible
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank gramargot
Reviewed 30 March 2012

We have nothing but praise for this hotel. My partner and I spent three nights here whilst visiting Venice.
The staff are very helpful, we had a first class room which overlooked a little canal and gave limited views of the city.
It's location was just two small blocks from St Marks Square in one direction and the Rialto Bridge in the other.
We had a really nice meal in the restaurant which is warmly decorated, and has attentive staff.
The hotel itself is very stylishly decorated without being overdone.
We were constantly getting lost in Venice which we suppose is part of it's charm. The whole place is a maze of little alleys and canal bridges which all look very similar.
We caught a Vaporetto from the airport which dropped us off at the Rialto Bridge . From there it is just a few minutes to the hotel, when you manage to find it .

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple