“Neptune's Grotto (Grotta di Nettuno) - Not To Miss While In Alghero!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Frecce delle Grotte di Antonio Piccinnu

Frecce delle Grotte di Antonio Piccinnu
Ranked #4 of 80 things to do in Alghero
More attraction details
Owner description: Tour this marine cave that is carved in a spectacular sheer cliff, with long winding passages that delve far into the rock passing many fantastical stalagmites and stalactites.
Belfast, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Neptune's Grotto (Grotta di Nettuno) - Not To Miss While In Alghero!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2008

The trip started out on the boat which was a little expensive (13 Euro per person) but I think overall it was worth it as the bus can take a little long and there's alot of steps to get down to the grotto.

We really did enjoy the boat trip, it was a little bit rough but it is expected with crossing the sea. It was quite windy and I got quite cold but I ended up getting sunburnt so be careful!! The wind fools you into thinking it's not hot.

Once we got to the grotto we were charged a further 10 Euro per person
to enter the grotto. It was an amazing experience (one similar to the Marble Arch Caves in Fermanagh, Northern Ireland only on a grander scale). Briliant day out well worth the money.

7 Thank belfastlady06

• Slovak first
Austin, Texas
67 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 513 helpful votes
“Definitely visit here if on Sardinia”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2006

I was just at Neptune's Grotto end of November, not sure if the boats were running or not but we drove out to Capo Caccio and walked down (and back up!) all the stairs to see the grotto. The natural beauty of the grotto is incredible, I have been on several cavern/cave visits before but never have I seen such developed columns (fused stalagtites and stalagmites) and such a huge, wide-open space in which to view them. It's impossible not to be awed by the natural beauty of the grotto.

Taking the stairs is definitely a physical challenge, but if you're in a reasonable shape then it's not impossible to go this way (we were in a group of 12 people, everyone stopped 3 or 4 times on the way back up to catch their breath, rest a bit, and enjoy the view).

The tour guide we had in the grotto was great, she was fluent in Italian, German and English and was extremely well-informed on the history of the grotto, how it developed, and how it compares to other similar attractions around the world.

The island of Sardinia is incredibly beautiful with amazing beaches, mountain peaks, valley views, etc, but visiting Neptune's Grotto is the most vivid memory I have of the 4 days I spent on the island.

19 Thank Counterweight
Fareham, England
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“worth it, no matter how you get there”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2006

We visited the Grotte di Nettuno on 23.10.2006. I'm a 53 year old arthritic asthmatic so we had no choice but to go there by boat (there is no way I could manage the 650+ steps each way) even though my husband is not a good sailor.

There's chance the boat won't be able to stop at the caves entrance, but the man at the ticket booth in Alghero warned that it might end up just being a "trip round the bay" before we bought our tickets. We were "lucky" and managed to disembark at the caves, despite getting soaked to the skin as the boat tossed about on the waves (the trip there and back was fine, it was just the couple of hundred metres of cross-currents round the headland that caused the problems). I now know what it feels like to be made to "walk the plank!" but the boat crew were great and helped everyone off (and back on again), only giving the OK to run along the gangplank when it was safe to do so.

Take my advice though .... don't take young childen, the elderly or anyone with manoeverability difficulties. If you go by boat, all the party need to be able to get on and off without your help. If you go by road they have to be able to manage all the steps (apparently the young and fit take about 15 minutes to climb up from the caves to the car park/bus stop!).

If you do get there though it's a really wonderful experience.

19 Thank Pat_from_Fareham
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 95 helpful votes
“Seriously, TAKE THE BUS, unless walking/climbing is a problem for you”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2006

The advantages of taking the Alghero-Capo Caccio bus are as follows:

- you can be 100% sure of seeing the caves. The boat won't dock at the caves if the waves are rough, and even if the sea looks calm in Alghero, that doesn't mean it is calm at the exposed windward side of Capo Caccio, where the cave entrance is. When I went (by bus), I watched the boat come in, and even though the sea was not that rough, the captain twice backed out and I heard from the passengers when they disembarked that it was touch and go whether he landed. If you get the bus, there's zero chance of disappointment

- a return bus ticket costs 4 euros, the boat is 10 (ok not a big deal)

- the BIGGEST reason -- the STEPS leading to and from the cave are, in my opinion, as much an attraction as the caves themselves. The views from the walk are incredible (see photos) and breathtaking. In comparison, the views you get from the boat, of the coastline, are nice but not spectacular. (I know this from the dive boat I took out, not from the Capo Caccio boat). We even saw baby seagulls in their nests only a couple of metres from the walkway.

- not crowded. There were 4 tourists on the bus, compared to about 40 tourists on the boat the day I went. You can stretch out and relax. The bus ride is only about 50 minutes each way. No risk of sea-sickness!

- another big reason -- if you go by bus, then on the way home you can get off at La Bombarde (actually the bus stops right outside the entrance to the La Pini hotel, behind the beach), which is a gorgeous beach far superior to that near Alghero (of course, the best beaches in the area are even further afield, and require a car to get too, but that's another post). (see photos) You can then enjoy a few hours at La Bombarde and then get a later bus back to Alghero. This would work for any other destination on the return journey, such as Porte Contes etc. If you do this, then make sure when buying your bus tickets in Alghero to tell the ticket lady this is your plan, so she can sell you three tickets!

THE DRAWBACKS
-- OK, the walk back UP the stairs isn't easy. I am 29 and in average shape and it was absolutely fine for me, but my slightly overweight (by her own admission) and unfit girlfriend was huffing, puffing and not a happy camper by the time we reached the top. It would have been an easier ascent, except we spent so much time in the caves taking photos that we left ourselves only 15 minutes to climb back up. We did it in 11. Given that it was not yet high season (June to August), there was only one bus returning to Alghero from Capo Caccio a day -- if we'd missed that, hello hitchhiking!

I should mention, though, that the steps themselves are in fantastic shape. Not broken or dangerous in the slightest. Very impressive, I thought, for 50 year old Italian construction work.

- I suppose some people would balk at the imagined inconvenience of speaking Italian to the lady at the bus ticket office to buy tickets, instead of the ready-made hop on hop off option provided by the boat. But its really no problem at all. The ticket office is in the park opposite the mini Esso at the main vehicular entrance to the old city, and all the buses stop right outside and are clearly marked.

- you kind of have to plan when you're going in advance, since there are limited numbers of buses each day. In the off-season, September to May inclusive, there is only one, leaving at 9:15 am and returning at 12pm. But if you do the "hop off at La Bombarde" option I mentioned above (arriving there around 12:15) you can catch a later bus to Alghero from the same drop off spot at 3:40 or 5:40 and it makes for a really great day.

89 Thank dandoesnewyork
cambs
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“A must if your in Alghero”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2006

I thoroughly enjoyed going to the grotto, Instead of getting a boat trip I drove, its about a 20 min journey from alghero & is well signposted, also the drive, for the best part of it is along the coastline and is very scenic. you can park right by the entrance although I imagine its limited in peak season. there is then a stairway down the face of the cliff to the grotto consisting of 656 steps, the views are great. once you get to the bottom there is a 10 euro charge to enter the grotto (with guided tour) and its very impressive. the only minor downside is that you have to trek back up the steps. overall I would strongly reccomend this trip.

19 Thank alex3030