“The worst restaurant in Italy”
Review of Sergiobar

Sergiobar
Ranked #82 of 90 Coffee & Tea in Florence
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Duomo
Reviewed 17 July 2017

We had an absolutely terrible experience at this restaurant. The ambience is beautiful (next to the duomo), but the food and the service were terrible. I'm not one to ever complain or write a review, but this place is truly bad.

We sat down to have their lunch special, which is spaghetti and a 0.5 liter bottle of water. We ordered 2 specials. Instead he brings a 1 liter bottle of water and states that since we opened it, that it is not part of the special (idiotic...but tolerable up to this point). We ordered sparkling mineral water. But the waiter brings us still water. Since we opened it, we had to order another liter of sparkling water. Then comes to caprese salad, which was bland, despite us dousing it with oil. The bread was as hard as the duomo church in the ambience. He only brings 2 plates despite us 5 of us sitting there. I ask for extra plates and he states that it is coming. I assumed that it was in the dishwasher. He then takes away my plate and brings the 2 pasta dishes, without any other plates. I again ask for a plate and he looks puzzled. So I tap my fork on the plate and state "plate...plate". He gets offended and tells me not to talk to him that way and that I should stay home. Since this got escalated, I went to the front desk and asked them to talk to the manager about having a waiter unable to either speak Italian or English (he was Bengali). After arguing over what to pay and what not to pay, I end up paying for 2 liters of water, 1 caprese, and a spaghetti and peppe plate. $26. We ate half the caprese and my daughter took one bite of the spaghetti.

I told them that I would pass along my experience to the TripAdvisor community. They didn't care.

Finally, I want to let you all know that I'm not one to complain or write bad reviews, because I truly believe that most people have good intentions. Now this is probably all speculation, but I believe the problem here is that this place is probably not doing well from a financial perspective and therefore hire waiters where the primary language is neither English or Italian. Moreover, they are not familiar with what it means to compete for tourists in search of an Italian dining experience. They think that by offering 10 Euro specials of a small pasta plate and a 0.5 liter of water that people will flock to it irrespective. That's what drew us here originally. I have always taken TripAdvisor for granted because I assumed that we were splitting hairs in this community. Now I know that this community serves a very valuable purpose and we should never take a wonderful dining experience for granted.

Reviewed 27 June 2017

Great place to sit outside at the Piazza del Duomo and take in the people and the scenery. We actually had 2 cups of coffee it was so good. Perfect view of the Duomo - Cattedrale di Santa Maria del Fiore.

Reviewed 16 June 2017 via mobile

We stopped there just to buy 2 soft drink bottles and paid 9 euro for water and diet Coke. Not familiar with the local currency, after a minute we understood the high price and asked for our money back. It was half a minute later. The ouner was roude and didn't agree to give us our money back. That's how being a tourist feels like. Disappointing !!

Reviewed 30 April 2017

A decent coffee and breakfast just when needed. Efficiently served good and fast and very pleasant staff. Right in the middle of chaos - brilliant

Reviewed 7 March 2017 via mobile

We were very satisfied with our food, drink and service here on a sunny February Sunday afternoon. We were fully aware that our snack lunch would probably be expensive since the bar is in such a prime position (about €23 for two lovely fresh ham and cheese buns, a beer and a coffee) but the service was prompt and polite, the setting (seats an table outside overlooking the South side of the duomo) in the sunshine was perfect and a nearby busker was playing his guitar rather well!
We did see a Chinese visitor sitting down and accidentally breaking a chair here a couple of days later. I hope he wasn't charged too much for the chair!