“Disappointing second visit”

Price range: US$5 - US$12
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: San Marco
Description: Vegan organic restaurant, bakery and store. Open every day from 12 am to 3 pm and from 7:30 pm (closed on tuesday) for lunch and dinner. Daily menu with homepasta like lasagne, ravioli, tortelli, tagliatelle, gnocchi and as well seitan and fast food dishes for second courses! Many kind of cakes and desserts, ice creams! Little store inside with several vegan organic and fair trade products, vegan cheeses, yogurt, vegan slices, seitan. Friendly and welcoming atmosphere. Try vegan and organic food in Florence!
Reviewed 5 April 2016

We had a good first visit to Dolce Vegan just over 3 years ago, so I was happy to be returning. Unfortunately, our second visit probably means there won't be a third.

Perhaps it was because we arrived after 9pm, but every sauce and every side we asked about was "finito". It turned out the only sauce they had was carbonara. I didn't want carbonara, so decided to order the lasagne, which I'd really enjoyed on my last visit. What I received was an anaemic-looking slice of, what appeared to be, lasagne carbonara!

Sadly - even for those at the table who wanted carbonara - it wasn't a great carbonara sauce - very rich and soupy. Everything tasted bland and joyless.

The staff were helpful enough when I asked questions, but not particularly friendly. Even a request for ketchup was turned down (they put ketchup on all the burgers), and instead, we were given a small bowl of (you guessed it) extra carbonara sauce.

There are so many better places in Florence for vegans and vegetarians to eat that we probably won't visit Dolce Vegan again.

Reviewed 4 March 2016

Since my Italian BF turned vegan in October 15', his family couldn't comprehend him not eating pasta, cheese etc but since we came back to visit over Christmas, everyone decided to try what he eats on a day to day basis - meatless rabbit food where their thoughts!

We booked for 11 and everyone was anxious waiting for this so called 'English fad' since he moved to the big smoke about 3.5 years prior.

I ordered the most amazing vegan lasagna - how they did the cheese and flavourings I don't know but it was scrumptious and full of flavours. This was meant to be a starter but it was mains size for sure. I then proceeded to go for the 'mains' which was something along the lines of home cut chips with and crochets with hummus. This was also good but not only was the lasagna still better, the portions were so big I couldn't finish it.

For dessert I had the tiramisu - this, I didn't really like as it was a bit watery and lacked a little bit of taste.

As for others, they ordered the raw salad, the gnocchi, burger and the coconut dessert. I think most were good but the dessert probably needed more focus.

Everyone walked away full - I think they were surprised of the variety of vegan options there are available but I know for sure they won't be able to wait for the next meat dish... understandable! :)

The place itself had a straight forward concept, it was self service and quick. You get your own cutlery and water and plates from a bar area and the staff cleared your table.

They were also a palm free establishment which made me happy inside!

Def go even if you're not vegan - you'll be pleasantly surprised!

1  Thank Hoffstarr
Reviewed 1 December 2015

Went here twice on my trip to Florence. Was so happy to find a vegan restaurant so close to my hotel (with another one right across the street). I had the seitan ragu gnocci, the ravioli, and the tiramisu. All of them were so amazing! I brought non-vegan classmates here with me on our study abroad trip and they loved it, too. Entire menu is in Italian, obviously, but they have free wifi so you can easily translate (or most of it is easy enough to follow along with anyway). Pretty small on the inside as well.

1  Thank kellyvanrita
Reviewed 30 November 2015

This charming little cafe was about a ten minute walk from our hotel, The Four Seasons. They mostly serve vegan comfort food, but it was good for lunch. I was disappointed that they served us espresso in paper cups. There is a TV showing a non-stop loop of cute animals.

1  Thank JasperMarks
Reviewed 14 August 2015 via mobile

Dolce Vegan is a nice restaurant with a good approach towards animal protection. We ordered a mixed dish with different ingredients which was good. Unfortunately, it was so incredibly hot that the only thing we wanted was to finish dinner and go out! We just couldn't order dessert ... It was scorching hot!! Rather far from everything else but it is always nice to walk in Florence!

1  Thank Glendiglendi