“Best granita in Italy, including Sicily!”
Review of Il Re Gelato

Il Re Gelato
Ranked #36 of 236 Dessert in Florence
Neighbourhood: San Lorenzo
Neighbourhood: San Lorenzo
Reviewed 22 September 2018

We happened upon Il Re Gelato on our way to The Student Hotel nearby. We went in for a bottle of water, stayed for the granita! My husband is a connoisseur of granita di caffe, and we were thrilled to see a beautiful array of granita including di caffe. The woman behind the counter could not have been friendlier, and made a large granita di caffe for my husband just as he likes it--whipped cream on the bottom and the top. He said it is the best he has had anywhere in 40 years of travel in Italy, including 3 trips to Sicily. I could not resist having an almond one (mandorla). She recommended a dab of pastacchio gelato on top, between the granita and whipped cream. It was HEAVEN. The best I have ever had. The granita was not pulverized as often with mandorla, but had some little bits of almond. SO GOOD. And the woman serving was just so kind and smiling, we left very happy and intending to return our next trip to Rome.

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed 30 June 2018

I have been coming to Florence for over 12 years and have really only gone to one gelateria. My dear friend suggested this one today and I am so glad I went. The quality is really unbelievable!!!

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 3 November 2017

A lovely bakery / coffee shop with 2 quaint tables for delicious cappuccinos if you want to sit. The locals frequent this place too, so that shows that the food is really well made.

Date of visit: September 2017
Reviewed 13 October 2017 via mobile

Delicious ice cream, cosy place to watch the sun set and the world pass by. Friendly and helpful staff!

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed 21 December 2016

This "pasticceria" offers pastries and cakes made according to recipes of Sicily. They are really fine and also beatiful to see. Absolutely to try! Mid range prices.

Date of visit: December 2016