“Would have been perfect except for the heat”

Agriturismo Marciano
Ranked #1 of 94 Speciality Lodging in Siena
Reviewed 21 July 2010

We just returned from staying at Agriturismo Marciano which is a beautiful, charming B&B just outside Siena. The host Christian and his staff were friendly and very helpful. My only complaint was that the rooms were extremely hot due to a heat wave and the lack of air conditioning or even a fan in the room. The hallway was air conditioned until 11pm so we often kept our door and window opened in an attempt to get some air flow. With the door closed, the air was still and it felt like we were baking in a brick oven instead of a brick farm house. I realize that Europeans do not use air conditioning like Americans who often overuse it, but this was extreme and I find it hard to believe that anyone could have been comfortable sleeping here. Had the heat not been an issue, I would have to say that this would have been a perfect place to stay. The breakfast was great and dinner at the inn was a wonderful experience that I wish we were able to do more than once. Their wine was wonderful as well. Christian helped us plan day trips to the nearby towns of San Gimignano, Montepulciano, Volterra, Montalcino, Siena, and the Abbey of St. Antimo. We had a car and I can't imagine touring the area easily without one. As opposed to the Amalfi Coast, this area is much easier to drive in. We took a day trip to Florence as well and enjoyed the Original Walking Tour there to help us make the most of our only day there. We did the walking tour, Uffizi Gallery tour and David tour which was a lot in one day, but worth it. I'd highly recommend them. Their website is www.italy.artviva.com and they are also reviewed on this site. The rooms were charming and it was everything good you would expect in a B&B. We'd definitely go back, but never in again in summer.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jhansel

Reviewed 27 June 2010

We were two couples who stayed at the agriturismo. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The hospitality was fantastic, like staying in someone's home. We stayed four nights and had dinner their twice - both of which the food and wine was fantastic. Most of the vegetables come right out of their own garden. It also gave us an opporutinity to meet the other guests which was also part of the fun at dinner. It was located very close to Sienna and even though we had a car we chose to take a cab as parking in town is difficult. The hosts will help you with directions and also gave us great suggestions on placing to visit for day trips. I highly recommend the Agriturismo Marciano and hope to visit again one day.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2010

My 18 year old son and I traveled to Rome, Sorrento, Siena, and Treviso on our recent trip to Italy. Agriturismo Marciano, just outside of Siena in the beautiful Tuscan countryside, was by far our favorite bed and breakfast. Agriturismo Marciano is an incredibly picturesque, 300 year old bed and breakfast. The rooms were beautiful and comfortable, with fantastic views of the countryside out our window. Although we did not have a car, it was an easy taxi ride into Siena, and we always walked back to the agriturismo. On our last evening at Agriturismo Marciano, we - along with the other guests - were served the best meal that we had in Italy, each course with wines made on site. Both the meal and the conversation with guests from all over the world made our last evening in Siena the favorite of our trip. I will recommend Agriturismo Marciano to anyone traveling to Siena! My only wish was that we could have stayed longer!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 June 2010

We selected this agriturismo based on Tripadvisor reviews and were not disappointed. This place is really amazing. The location is great: in the beautiful Tuscan countryside but still close to Siena. Having a car is advisable though. The rooms are clean, nicely decorated and decent-sized. The owners are fantastic and extremely helpful. Dinner is highly recommended at least once during your stay, meeting other guests and tasting many local wines were a great experience. A computer is provided in the common area, but there's also free WIFI available so bring your own laptop to avoid waiting for other guests to finish checking their mails. The only thing I would change about this place is the breakfast: although bread, jam, cereals and fruit are provided I would've loved some pastries and real capuccino like at other Italian places. But other than that this place is really perfect.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank annamari_1
Reviewed 17 June 2010

We had a wonderful stay here in April 2010. Our room was great (though, hot water is a commodity so wake early!). The views over the olive groves and grape vines was spectacular, and its proximity to town fantastic. We had a car, and I believe in order to see Tuscany you really should drive to visit neighboring towns. Breakfast daily was the best of our trip, and we were fortunate to have a dinner here as well (I had requested in advance to be certain not to miss it!). It was wonderful, one of the best meals of the trip. All in all, very happy with the Agriturismo! We ended up buying some of their wine, and would have purchased some olive oil but the containers were just too large to carry in a suitcase.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple