“Beautiful spot, unbelievable food.”

Agriturismo Marciano
Ranked #1 of 93 Speciality Lodging in Siena
Reviewed 3 November 2010

We stayed at agriturismo Marciano for our honeymoon and it was amazing. The hotel is in an old farmhouse located in a beautiful, typically Tuscan scenary. The view from our room was incredible. The rooms are rustic, but comfortable and the bathrooms were recently renovated. A can't miss is Nadia's cooking, which is amazing. Renato makes sure to couple each of Nadia's dishes with the appropriate wine...we had dinner there twice (we were planning on only eating there one night due to the large quantity of food and wine but we did not resist). It is very romantic. The prices are very fair and I would definately stay there again.

Reviewed 29 October 2010

After much research on B and Bs to stay, we decided on this place. It is absolutely charming, very rustic with large bedrooms with brick and beam ceilings, comfortable beds and the view of the countryside from our window was unbelievable. Nadia and her husband, Christian, her brother, were wonderful hosts and welcomed us with a nice glass of wine when we arrived after a long but scenic drive from Rome to Siena. We had made arrangements to have Nadia make us dinner that evening and it was my favorite meal I had the entire trip. We started with white wine from their winery and an antipasto of layered prosciutto, tomatoe and cheese with olive oil. Primo course , with more white wine, was a simple pasta with a light pesto sauce and tomatoes . ( We were lucky to get the last basil and tomatoes from her organic garden). Delicous! Then she presented the secondo. It was turkey roulades stuffed with cheese, sauteed spinach at room temperature, white cannoloni beans with drizzle of olive oil, fresh greens, stuffed tomatoes and these pearl onions cooked with balsamic glaze that were like candy! Don't forget the many bottles of their red wine to try on the table as well which were wonderful. Dessert was just as good with a plate containing fresh homemade peach ice cream, biscotti, another type of cookie, and a pear slice with a dark chocolate glaze. We enjoyed this meal with 4 other couples that we became friends with while staying there and it was again, one of the best meals and evenings we had . I also need to speak of her breakfast in the morning which Maggie helps prepare as well. It is all homemade and fresh from her organic garden- granola, cereals, breads, jams, coffee, tea and we started our day with a full stomach and again, enjoyed the company of others. I only wish we stayed there longer instead of just two nites and would highly recommend you partake in one of Nadia's dinners. You won't be disappointed. There helper Maggie is also very informative and will recommend places to visit and see and set up your GPS if needed.
If we return to Italy, we have decided to make this our place to stay and travel from here daily. It was truly what you think of when you think of Tuscany!!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank way2muchfun52016
Reviewed 25 October 2010

I will start with the positives. The farmhouse is located in a lovely area so you feel like you are immersing yourself in the Tuscan lifestyle. The farmhouse has a nice veranda where the guests met to have wine, bread, and cheese. Also a nice breakfast served family style with the guests sharing their many adventures. Maggie speaks the best English and is helpful with planning day trips. Nadia is also helpful as well though I found Christian to be very uninvolved. (perhaps due to the grape harvest which was in full force while we were visiting) We did use the GPS which helped us to find our way more than once. We paid 10 Euro per day for the GPS.
The wine drinkers purchased wine at the Marciano which was easy. It was nice to have the use of the frig too. It is also nice to have the use of the computer to send e-mails home though the lighting is not good in the living room (quite small) but the big kitchen is nice.

Less than positive for me were the following: it cost 12 euro to catch a taxi to the farmhouse so you will need to factor the cost into your budget, the drive to the farmhouse is charming but we stopped driving there at night due to the road, we didn't feel the welcoming warmth from Christian that everyone raves about, the room was fine but if you really want to settle in and put your things away in drawers and in the closet this is not a good match for you,however, if you can get the suite you will have a lot of room, the dinner was not as great as we had hoped ( might have been an off night in the kitchen) we only had the dinner once (pd 32 pp euro with no wine and 38 pp euro with wine) and the meal is served at 8 p.m. We opted to eat a big lunch while out sightseeing and a lighter dinner (cheese, fruit, and bread) back at the Marciano. Our group had four people staying at the Marciano..I did a survey and the vote was 6.5 out of 10 with a range of 6, 6.5, and 7. I chose the farmhouse based on Trip Advisor reviews..it is true certain age groups might be happier here. I grew up in a rural area so I can handle bugs in my room, towels being dried outdoors as well as being cold. A 3 night stay might have felt very different than a 6 night stay.

I would recommend the Marciano to a friend but with some reservations. I do not feel I can say No as for some it would be a perfect match.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank roxy1947
Reviewed 7 October 2010

Agriturismo Marciano is everything you could want in a place to stay, and even more. The setting is beautiful, and the rooms are charming and clean. The common area is comfortable, with a computer available for the guests. They also provide wifi if you have your own computer. And the food - where to begin? The included breakfast was great. The optional dinners were the best I had in our 3 weeks in Italy. The food was fresh and delicious, and each course was accompanied by their wines, which were also fantastic. Not only the the food unbelievably good, but interacting with the other guests was also a highlight. I wish we had stayed longer, and can't wait until we have the opportunity to return. They were helpful in helping us plan our day trips to the surrounding hill towns. A car is a must, and we did have a little trouble finding it when we first arrived. My fault, I forgot to bring the directions with me and relied upon our GPS. I highly recommend Agriturismo Marciano as a place to really experience Tuscany.

2  Thank 1ParisLuv
Reviewed 3 October 2010

After being pushed around with tons of tourists in Venice and Florence we had finally arrived at our peacedful spot. Finding Agriturismo Marciano from the car rental agency was a challange. Once we did we rented a GPS from Nadia. It is already programed with tons of great places. Even with the GPS we we lost some but those were a good lost, not feeling like we would never find where we were going. Nadia and Maggie made our stay perfect. A very good breakfast to start the day was welcome. Wonderful breads, cakes, yougurts and cereals were a relief after being thrown a hard, cold roll in other places. Our dinner with Nadia was never to be forgotten. Each course was served with Nadia's pleasure. You felt like she was a family member trying to very much please you. After visiting the hill towns, our home awaited us to relax and compare our days with others while having a glass of wine on the terrace. After the 5 pleasant days here we had to move on, but our visit with Marciano will never be forgotten.

2  Thank astrolover