“Very bad experience”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 17 April 2018

We are Americans, living in Rome for a year, and we have traveled extensively throughout Italy, both before our year in Rome, and during this year. We were in Tuscany for a week, with family, and went to Siena for a day outing. Our intention was to stop for coffee as we entered the walled city, through Porta Camollia, and this was our choice. Bad choice. I don't write very many reviews, and I don't think I've ever written a one star review - but I'm going out of my way on this one. I went to the bar, and attempted to order in Italian (my wife is fluent, but I'm just doing my best to try and learn Italian, and one good way to learn is to "try"). Most restaurants or bars, they are nice and friendly, and they help you. This waiter behind the bar was just flat out rude. He acted like he didn't know what I was asking for (really? it's 10:00 a.m., and I'm saying "tre cappuccini" - and he can't figure it out?). I tried again - and even again, but as getting nowhere with this guy. I NEVER walk out of a place that I walk into - but we did on this one. It was just very obvious that he didn't want to have anything to do with us (I'm sure by my accent he was aware that I was American), so we left and had a lovely coffee up the street at another spot along the way. I like giving good reviews - but this experience (after 8 months in Italy so far) was by far the most rude we have been treated the entire trip. Sometimes I read a bad review, and think that perhaps the person writing it didn't know what they were doing. That wasn't the case here. We have been to perhaps 100 bars/cafes for coffee, at least? It was clear what was going on, and it was upsetting. Bad impression for grandma (she was traveling with us on this visit), and bad representation of Italians, who are typically so nice and friendly. Don't patronize this business - they don't deserve it.

Reviewed 10 April 2018 via mobile

Little and clean place with good coffee and good service. Nice decoration. Well located at the city center

Reviewed 1 March 2018 via mobile

Nice relaxing atmosphere with great staff. Everyone enjoyed lunch, kids plates can be ordered off menu. Pina Pasta and spaghetti with sausage was delicious. Average dish 7 Euro.

Reviewed 21 December 2017 via mobile

Like one of the reviewers before this, we didn’t realize we had to make reservations for dinner elsewhere, and was left with this place. Lack of diners should have been a big tell tale sign but beggars can’t be choosers, we were starving. The waiter at the pastry side was lovely (likewise the pastries are great) but the same cannot be said for the horrible server at the restaurant side. He looked like he hadn’t slept in days and behaved in kind - rude, served me a tea cup with lipstick stains still on it (bright pink and covered quite a large surface area - how anyone could’ve missed it is a mystery), served us tiramisu looking like it came out of the trash (refer to photo). This was a JOKE of a dinner.

Reviewed 7 October 2017 via mobile

We arrived fairly late to Cafe Berta, after 9.30pm, we were welcomed so enjoyed a lovely meal here. I wanted to try a local dish so I ordered the Trippa (tripe) siena style, it was absolutely delicious! Our waiter was a delight, Simone... and we enjoyed a nice conversation with him about the local area! I wouldn't rave about the dessert, we ordered Tiramisu but it was mainly whipped cream, a bit disappointing but other than that with the great service and great tasting main dishes we would definitely return to this cafe/restaurant.