“Excellent New Indian Restaurant in the Hear if Basel”
Review of Spice of India

Spice of India
Ranked #47 of 754 Restaurants in Basel
Price range: US$16 - US$60
Description: Vom Land der Gewürze bis zu Ihrem Tisch laden wir Sie ein, den Geschmack der feinen nord- und südindischen Küche in unserem zentral gelegenen Restaurant in Basel (in der Nähe des Bahnhofs Basel SBB) zu genießen. Zart zubereitet und moderat gewürzt, kombiniert mit frischen Zutaten aus dem lokalen Markt, bietet Ihnen unser Team von Spice of India die Freude an vertrautem indischem Essen in der entsp
Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

I had seen a promotional material for this restaurant, and had thought that I will visit it in my next visit to Basel.
So, there I was in Feb, 2018. I was surprised to see the restaurant quite full, for a new restaurant. But seeing quite a few people there gave me assurance that the restaurant will be good.
I was there with my colleagues. We took a while to decide between a-la-carte or buffet. At the end, looking at their buffet spread, we ended up having the buffet.
I was a little unsure of the buffet because buffet at Indian restaurants are usually very oily and at times not very fresh. I also get scared of the acidity that it causes me afterwards.
I was, again, pleasantly surprised with the quality of food on the buffet. I am a vegetarian and their vegetarian options were lip smacking. I ended up over eating.
They also have a fully stocked bar with fine alcohol, which we ordered drinks from. Their host, Elaine, was very friendly made sure that we were comfortable and happy. I will visit them again, when I am next in Basel. I wish them all the best and am sure they will prosper if they continue in this vein.

2  Thank mohitj123

Reviewed 30 March 2018

This restaurant is not too far from the SBB about 5-8 min walk and had a good set lunch menu, good quality....eating Indian food when on holiday from India is not always a great experience , but this was pretty good and not the typical wannabe Indian place that dishes out scary looking food.
We tried the set lunch for the day but I saw they had some other items too , like Goan prawn curry and Madras chicken on the ala carte menu, not just north Indian food which india is commonly known for....

1  Thank JaR_55_56
Reviewed 29 March 2018

The set lunch was excellent and service fast and convenient. The restaurant decoration is nice and relaxing. Spice of India is easy to reach by car or on foot from SBB.
Looking forward to the next Indian meal!

1  Thank karikotamaki
Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

Had been to this restaurant for business lunch at least twice now. I can say the quality of food and service is reflective of the Spirit of Indian people and their world famous spices . Highly recommend!!!

1  Thank Emmanuel B
Reviewed 29 March 2018

Finally an Indian restaurant in Basel worth writing about.

I found this cosy and inviting place when i was searching luncheon places near SBB on a sunny afternoon. It serves a wide variety of authentic Indian cuisine.

Most Indian restaurants in UK/Europe focus on the usual Punjabi/tandoori cuisine. This particular doesn't disappoint on that North Indian fare as well - tandoori chicken and rotis are usual suspects. But what I was pleasantly surprised with is to find Goan prawn curry, Bengali fish, Hyderabad biryani too among many others on the menu which I wouldn't have otherwise found in other similar restaurants.

What i finally had: The tandoori (clay oven) chicken was well made (thats what I crave for in Indian restaurants). Goan prawn curry (from the West coast of India) was a perfect blend of spices, aroma and fresh shrimps. Goes well with plain rice.

I need to come back to this place to savor the other cuisines - especially the Lamb and Chicken biryanis (rice and meat cooked together over slow fire), the Shrimp biryani and of course the ever popular vegetarian fare of Dal makani, Amristsari choley. (my mouth is watering as i write this :)

These kinda special menus and the warm hospitality of the owners is what makes Spice of India special.

1  Thank vizaay
Elaine P, Owner at Spice of India, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2018

Dear Vizaay, Thank you for the wonderful long review. You need to come back to savor the rest of the dishes on the elaborate menu. Hope to see you again soon!