“Consistently good”
Review of Cafe du Grutli

Cafe du Grutli
Reserve with
Cafe du Grutli is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #186 of 1,774 Restaurants in Geneva
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 27 March 2015

I lived in Geneva for many years, and now that I have moved away, I realized I never gave a review for my favorite restaurant. Near the old town and plenty of other cafés, bars and restaurants, Grutli is easy to find but not really frequented much by tourists. It has a small menu, which I think is usually a good thing because it means the restaurant concentrates on getting the meals they do offer right. Usually quite good seafood, by the way. Friendly staff for Geneva and a nice ambiance that feels sophisticated yet easy-going. Overall, a consistently positive dining experience...

Reviewed 4 November 2014

Went to Café Grutli for Sunday evening's Indian cuisine night for a friend's birthday.

We were told that the Chef is brought from London once a week to cook on Sundays, when we talked to the chef, he said that he now has settled in Geneva and works in another Indian restaurant but still does the Indian night once a week in Grutli.

The place is inside the Grutli theatre in the centre of Geneva, quite busy, and requires a reservation. I was there a few years ago and my memories are of a fancy-ish French style restaurant that is quite expensive. For this dinner, it was very different... a gourmet style Indian food with a small menu that is both elegant, well presented, and quite delicious.

There are several options, I had the vegetarian curry and tasted the chicken tikka; both were very well done and a well done spicy (but very mild) taste.

I had a taste of the pear crumble for dessert (yes, the desserts were French not Indian) and thought that the crumble to fruit ratio was a little on the low side but still quite tasty.

Otherwise, the surroundings were pleasant, service excellent (and I mean it) and wine exquisite.

Prices were not high compared to anything in Geneva.

Reviewed 10 October 2014 via mobile

We are living in geneva for 9 years and we discovered this place very recently. I ate thon and my wife dorade. Both are perfect and it is rare in Switzerland such a delicious food at that price. Only ambiance is a bit missing. If they care more about it, no doubt it could be more popular.

Reviewed 13 September 2014

This use to be a very decent place to dine out, with a great terrace with no traffic (few like it in Geneva), a very nice, trendy but discrete interior, and some good dishes. But when it's bad - it's really not OK and very expensive for what you get. Last night myfriend ordered a dorade (bream), I ordered a pasta with pesto. Her fish was very good and well prepared, but it was miniscule for the 35 francs they charged. Mine was a tasteless dish of pasta that had stuck together and dried out, with a "pesto" made of some shredded basilica and a few pine nuts thrown in for 26 francs. Our dishes were served within due time, but the waiter ran away without asking if we needed anything else - and disappeared. It took another 10 minutes to find anyone at all so that I could at least get some grated Parmesan cheese and olive oil to try to save my meal. However another waiter, a women this time, when she came to take our plates away sympathized with me (I couldn't get through it) and offered a free desert. Meanwhile the table next to us had waited an hour for their meal, the lady was also offered a free desert! (They were told that there had been a problem in the kitchen?) But free deserts are not going to save this place. There were very few customers that evening, so no excuse for such poor service and I just don't know what to think of the chef...

By the way, I really did like this place a few years ago, hopefully they will come back around.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

rood staff and mediocre food. price is fine but you can do much better with that amount even in Geneva. I have visited the place a few times since its conveniently located near my office but the service getting poorer and now the quality of the food has seriously decreased.

1  Thank barbarolla