“Amazing mussels, best in Geneva! Authentic and tasty food”
Review of Restaurant Francis

Restaurant Francis
Ranked #1,200 of 1,791 Restaurants in Geneva
Cuisines: French, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 19 May 2016 via mobile

Wanting to have some good mussels in Geneva, I decided to try Francis after reading the Tripadvisor reviews. I took the mussels as a starter. Normally the chef has A.O.P. mussels from the Mont Saint Michel area but it's not yet the season. Even so, they were from Normandy and, I have to say, quite succulent.

As a main, I had the breaded veal "elephant ear" style and my brother had the sea bass. Both were perfectly cooked and well presented.

The decoration is quite old-fashioned and rustic which gives the place an authentic feeling of being transported to Brittany, the owner's homeland. He was very generous and welcoming and did not hesitate to chat with the guests without being too invasive or forgetful of his tasks at hand.

They offer mussels as a starter but mainly as a main course, with at least 8 different sauces to choose from. This is the true reason you should come here.

A ten minute walk from the train station and not far from the banking quarter, Manor, or the Mandarin Oriental Hotel, the Francis is perfectly located. Depending on the time of day, parking can be tough, so if you can't come by public transport (the tram stops practically in front of the restaurant), there is the nearby parking du Seujet, or try your luck with white or blue parking spots.

I highly recommend Francis as an authentic, no-nonsense place where I have now found the best mussels in town!

Reviewed 9 August 2015

I know this restraurant for years now and I only tried mussels: marinara, provençal, etc. Doesn't matter how do you prefer them, they are just delicious! The price is very correct compare to other seefood restaurants.

Excellent service. I strongly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 22 February 2015

We had a great lunch in this restaurant,really good flavousome French cuisine. The decor was a bit worn but this did not reflect the I the food. I would definitely reccomended a visit.

Reviewed 5 September 2014

I was trying to find a good restaurant in Geneva without being too pricey and if you like seafood and, particularly, mussels, this is the place to go.

We visited on a Monday evening (01 Sep. 2014) and we were the first in with five others coming in behind us. The service was excellent in a very clean restaurant with "bistro" type decor.

The mussels came in two servings so that the mussels were hot and the frites were very good also.

The wine is very pricey even for local wine so beware. Mind you, this is Geneva but EUR 35 for a bottle of wine is very steep BUT one needs to drink white wine with mussels ?

The Hospitality Inspector (Part of our services offered through GlenScott Hotel Services) assessed the decor,etc. and, certainly, came up to good standards.

Reviewed 26 July 2013 via mobile

This restaurant was recommended by a colleague who enjoys seafood and especially mussels and we were told that you pay CHF30+ for all you can eat mussels.
We were 6 and hence we ordered different sauces and I got to try different ones.

Mussels: One word, SALTY.
They tasted as though they were all boiled in uber salty water and the sauces were simply poured on top.
I have a very salty palate and I usually eat saltier food than most people but this one!
Omg. I could not eat without rice.

To be fair, IMHO, I think they did a most brilliant job with the rice (basmati) and whatever they cooked the rice with, IT WAS MOST YUMMYLICIOUS.
It almost reminded me of the Hainanese Chicken rice I usually have in Singapore.

And I must not forget their home-made mayonaisse.
They were excellent with the fries that comes with your mussels.

I paid CHF 31.- for two portions of mussels, the good thing is, you can have 2 different flavours (if you can stomach round two) with the same price or lower (cheapest CHF28.-).
Their "Portugaise" and "Provençale" were the same price and I tried both, I could make better sauce with my eyes close.
It was THAT AVERAGE.

I must say, to pay this much for an average meal is not worth it, but their yummylicious rice and mayo with fries saved my meal for this evening.

BEWARE: It was over 30 bloody C today and no A/C indoor nor fam outdoor.

Service: Comme çi comme ça.
Lady opened up and was friendlier when my male colleague joked with her ;)

Verdict: Will save my money and go elsewhere and hence will not return.
Unless... They improve their sauce and decrease the amount of salt used.
And oh! A/C or fan when it's hot for goodness sake!