“Last option”

Jailhotel Loewengraben
Ranked #65 of 67 Hotels in Lucerne
Reviewed 7 February 2017

This hotel, is dirty and the history behind the hotel is scary. The rooms are small, and the sheets are not so clean. I would not say here ever, unless it was my last option. The location is great..! There is plenty of nice shops, very convenient shopping location.

Room Tip: Rooms don't have Air conditioner units
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends

Reviewed 16 January 2017 via mobile

I loved my stay at this rustic Jailhouse, rooms where basic but, remained original, bathroom was simple but sufficient. Loved my stay happily come back, looking at friends rooms they differ some stunning larger rooms, I was in a small twin room

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 January 2017

Stayed here on a tour, place was disgusting and dirty. it has the potential to be a fabulous experience but needs really good clean! All of the rooms seemed to be dirty and have faults. Our bathroom was horrendously filthy and the toilet didn't have a flush button so you literally had to reach into to cistern and pull the plunger/valve to make the toilet flush...
The only positive was the rooms were very warm in winter.
needs a lot of work!

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 January 2017

If you're staying here for the quirky and unusual aspect because it's been transformed from an old jail, don't even bother - The novelty wears off instantly.

*Before I go any further, this hotel was booked with the tour group we were on, so we didn’t get a say in the matter unfortunately.*

To start with, there are no elevators in the hotel, so I hope you haven’t got too much luggage to get up – And it’s not like the walk is worth the effort either.
As you’re about to enter your room, you’re greeted with an old school jail door; it’s cool – for about 2 seconds.

When we walked in, we were greatly disappointed. We were in a room that was uncomfortably small, dirty and tacky.
There was not even enough floor space to stand up two luggage bags in the room, our only option was to store them in the shower.
The bed sheets had stains, the room was far too hot (with no option to turn it down), the shower & toilet were setup in what can only be described as a portable/drop in bathroom.
The towels were discoloured and ripped, the power points are not traditional European plugs – You can head to reception to get a traditional plug, but you will need to deposit money to do so (there are very limited amounts of these available so get in quick).

The food they serve downstairs is pretty average. That’s the only pass-mark I’d give the hotel – Just.

This was definitely the most uncomfortable stay I’ve ever had in an accommodation and this includes – Bali backpackers, Australian Regional Hostels and very regional motels.

I understand this may be the cheapest accommodation in town, but it’s really not worth it – So long as you get the option, spend $200 extra to get a comfortable stay somewhere else.

I was really disappointed with this place – It ruined some of my experience in Lucerne too unfortunately.

Room Tip: Stay at another Hotel
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PaulTobz29
Reviewed 1 January 2017 via mobile

Look it's not a five star hotel, but our room. Was warm and clean and tidy. It was a bit cramped but that's part of the novelty. There was WiFi and the food we got there was lovely! We were part of the contiki and we were all happily surprised as out hotel the night before in Germany was terrible! Not bad at all.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple