“Different than the average hotel”

Jailhotel Loewengraben
Ranked #64 of 66 Hotels in Lucerne
Reviewed 8 November 2017

The quirkiness of the hotel was something different, and it all contributed to the whole experience. The rooms were small and basic considering we had a 3 sleeper room. The bathroom was very basic with shower, toilet and hand basin. But it is a jail hotel and it probably contributed to the experience. We saw some of the other rooms which were a bit more luxury. Staff were friendly and helpful. Hotel is situated centrally and easy access to shops and restaurants. Not everyone's taste but surely an experience for a night or two.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends

Reviewed 14 April 2017 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel as a part of a Contiki tour in December 2016.

The hotel's location is great. It's in a very central spot in Lucerne and it's surroundings truly are beautiful, it's a shame I cannot say the same for the hotel itself.

Firstly the hygiene levels are a huge problem. The hotel was dirty. There was dust absolutely everywhere. A friend of mine's sheets had stains on them. I don't even want to think about what they possibly could've been. The bathrooms were so unclean - I showered with flip flops on. It felt like the hotel had not been cleaned in months. I did point out my issues with the dirtiness at the time, but little was done to correct these issues.

Secondly, the plugs are so weird. One has to put a deposit down on an extension in order to charge their devices. This is a bit of a nuisance, especially because the hotel ran out of adapters because there were so many of us.

Lastly, I would like to recognise that the hotel is in the process of being renovated. My friend was staying in one of the newly renovated rooms and they really are beautiful. However, with regards to the hygiene levels, there is still room for much improvement!

One thing I will commend them for is their bar staff. We had plenty of buy one get one free beers and the bartenders made our nights super fun and these are memories I will hold dear to my heart forever. Huge "well done" to them.

Overall, I'd probably give this hotel another chance if they improved their cleanliness levels and if I was staying in one of the newly renovated rooms.

Stayed: December 2016
1  Thank 333tifff
Reviewed 15 February 2017

We stayed here for a tour trip, the breakfast was terrible the room was not clean, there was a small window above the beds on the wall and no curtains. I also left a family heirloom behind, ( I know I should of remember it ) But I tried emailing many times and even had a family member call for me as I was unable to while still traveling. No replies and no calls returned. Extremely disappointing. Would never stay here ever again. Nor would I recommend any one else stay there.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank LMB92
Reviewed 12 February 2017

This hotel was right in the middle of town, close to all amenities and the lake. Ten minutes from the station. The room was a bit sparse, very basic, the bars at the window put me off. It was clean and warm but I wouldn't stay more than one night. More like a youth hostel but better than sleeping in the street. Breakfast was good. I paid for two nights but I only stayed for one as it was a bit scary. Not for me.

Room Tip: It was what it was, a prison. Some of the rooms were bigger.
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 February 2017

This hotel, is dirty and the history behind the hotel is scary. The rooms are small, and the sheets are not so clean. I would not say here ever, unless it was my last option. The location is great..! There is plenty of nice shops, very convenient shopping location.

Room Tip: Rooms don't have Air conditioner units
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends