Baur au Lac
US$190
US$168
Movenpick.com
  • Restaurant
Novotel Zurich City West(Zurich)(Great Value!)
US$212
US$141
Agoda.com
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewsrolls roycegrand dameleading hotels of the worldconcierge staffgrand hotelfive star hotelclassic hotelroom servicejunior suiteswiss hospitalityfamous bahnhofstrasselake viewfantastic hotelpillow menuthe location is perfectfavorite hotellovely room
Reviewed 8 July 2010

We arrived into one of their best 2 bedroom corner suites, facing the Lake and river. It was newly remodeled and perfectly decorated with warm colors, soft fabrics, high gloss wood, mirrors, gold accents - a really lovely suite. In the grand hotels of Europe (scattered throughout the Continent), most of the best suites are on the first floor. This comes from a bygone era when the most important guests wanted to sashay down a grand staircase for all to see (only the lesser folks rode the elevator or huffed up the stairs to the top floors back then). I found the suite a little too partitioned and cramped in some corners but my wife loved it and said she could live there.

The front door area and valet reminded us of an LA hotel with a bar/lounge with tall white drapes located directly across from Valet Parking and the front door. It was quite a scene with guests and locals stopping by for drinks, very cool. The front door staff, head valet, bellmen and doorman were excellent - superb gents who made us feel most welcome and really carried the property.

The products and services in the hotel really let us down. Food was just not good. We had breakfast and got a bowl filled to the brim with Raspberries – every single berry “covered” in mold. The eggs were runny.. not just Continental Europe style runny.. but Nile River style runny… Just horrible. I had the manager come up who looked at the food and apologized profusely but the damage is done.. What kind of kitchen staff would serve a guest such gruel without looking at it?? Speaking of breakfast, we asked for a large pot of coffee for two each day and consistently got just 4 small cups of lemony tasting Northern European coffee, if it was better coffee I would have been offended that they gave us so little. The quality of the coffee was unacceptable in this land of Nespresso, and if you like coffee the way my wife and I do, you will not like this hotel. Our 8:30am breakfast came at 8:40 – surprising in a city where everything comes on-time.

Bathrooms had exactly 2 towels.. not enough for hygenic adults who freshen with a quick shower in the AM as well as at night. We didn’t even have next-size down hand-towels as there was just one of those and my wife beat me to the morning shower.. I got the choice of using damp towels or calling for more from the shower – I chose the former. Speaking of the shower we were surprised that there was no conditioner, just conditioning shampoo in the shower. When you pay $6000 francs a night for your room you don’t pack your own shampoo, the hotel provides it and you expect quality products. It wasn’t. My hair looked frizzy in every picture.

Lastly the beds were not comfortable. We're accustomed to the harder beds found in continental Europe, but neither my wife nor I had one good night's sleep here. The kids slept like rocks though.

We'll never forget Zurich's beautiful setting and the hotel's wonderful position within the city, but what we'll remember most are the little shortcommings which emotionally stripped thousands of Francs from the value of our visit and frankly made the place feel overpriced. If you're not in town to inspect your gold bullion under Banhoffstrasse, just arround the corner from the hotel, then come for drinks at the bar scene, skip the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
8  Thank theLuckiestGuy
Reviewed 23 June 2010

Fantastic Location, just a minute from Bahnhoffstrasse,
Very nice size Deluxe Double Room, very good bathroom size.
Superb room service and delicious food.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 May 2010

It was the second time I went to Baur au Lac and the F&B manager or director, a very young chap, was there again. Very very rude boy.
The staff is also very slow, arrogant and they think that because you do not enter with a Bentley and a Louis Vuitton you do not have money and deserve a good service..
The cocktails were really, my wife ordered a Mojito and it was the worst she has had.. they did not bother to offer any drinks, any snacks, nothing.. when i tried to complain they laughed in my face and I am not joking
I have also heard this from many people...

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Peoplesrights
Reviewed 10 May 2010

My wife and I stayed here as a stopover en-route to Lake Como. Unfortunately, we were held up in traffic throughout Belgium on the way and so we arrived very late at night. This meant room service rather than sampling the restaurant. Nevertheless, our meals were excellent and the service was more like private dining than simply room service.
The room itself was extremely comfortable and we felt very refreshed in the morning for the next day of travelling.
Breakfast in the Pavillion room was also very pleasant (despite the rain).
All staff were very courteous and friendly enough.
We'd have no hesitation in staying here again and we felt like we missed out having only stayed the one night.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 April 2010

My wife and two kids ages 8 and 4 spent 6 nights at the Baur au Lac . The entire stay was fantastic. From the moment we arrived to the the momement we checked out we were treated wonderfully. Our flight arrived @ 8am from Atlanta and we were picked up by a driver sent by the hotel. The hotel allowed us to check in early, this was greatly appreciated by my wife and I since we had our kids with us and they were very tired after the 8+ hour flight. We stayed in a Jr. Suite overlooking the lake. It was very spacious and very clean. The beds were very comfortable and rooms very quiet. The hotel is also a very clean and elegant hotel. The staff are very nice and will work to accomodate all requests. The concierge was very helpful with the local area and excursions and also arranged a rental car for us which was delivered to the Hotel.
We have stayed in several 5 star hotels and the Baur au lac is definately on the top of our list. If we return to Zurich we will stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family