“Very pleasant”

GreenLeadersSilver level
London
“Very pleasant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

I've stayed in this hotel a couple of times, and wouldn't hesitate to go back next time I'm in Zurich. It doesn't look much from the outside, but it's lovely on the inside. Rooms are well kitted out and very comfortable, staff are very friendly and professional. Breakfast was good. It's also very conveniently situated for the main train station, at only about 5 min walk away. WiFi access was free.

Seriously, what more do you want?

Oh, what's that, you'd also like a little barrel of fresh local apple juice in reception from which you can just help yourself? Well, it's got one of those too! A nice little touch, I thought.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Continental-GM, General Manager at Hotel Continental Zurich - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
What a wonderful reward for all the Continental Zurich team to read such a fabulous feedback of a repeating client on tripadvisor. Thank you for having taken the time to do so, we all appreciate this very much. Best regards and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Monica Voegeli & team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Tunbridge Wells, Kent, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

First the shortcomings.

Misleading offers on the Accor website .

For customers booking on-line and prepaying in advance the site offers 3 nights for 2 and includes breakfast. My deal was £112 per night excluding breakfast. I tried to book on-line at the 3=2 section, and they charged £336 excluding breakfast, not £224 including breakfast. I sought to rectify this seriously misleading information both by phone in advance of my trip, and with customer relations at the hotel on 22 February about 14:00 hrs. The lady accepted that the site did not provide the offered service but I received no indication that she would seek to resolve or correct the issue. The prices vary depending on dates booked and prepaid. The misleading 3=2 offer remains untruthful.

Other issues:

Housekeeping
Colleagues returning to rooms 545 and 546 at 18:00 hrs on 23 February found that neither room had been made up. A call to housekeeping rectified this, but what followed was not the usual thorough cleaning service

Bar Service
We were not allowed into the bar at 22:50 hours because they were about to close. We were offered drinks in the adjoining lounge, but half hour later they wanted us to sign the bills as they were closing their paper work.

Electric sockets
Room 545 had both Swiss and continental sockets. Room 546 had only Swiss sockets

Accor Club A-1 silver card members
I thought that Sofitel offered welcome drinks on arrival. Hotel Contiental did not.
I am unclear whether this is because they are "ex-Sofitel", or whether it was a service issue.

The Plus Points
Good location.
Quiet rooms
Good efficient wifi
Pleasant atmosphere, if you don’t let the above shortcomings get to you.

1 Thank Gerald-TW
OMG, I am so embarassed! I understand your dissapointment in our lack of service and I sincerely apologize for all your troubles. I will look into the matter with all departments concerned. As to the booking the 3for2 rate is an advert, available on certain days. Once you reach the actual booking site you clearly see all the rates, packages available for the category and dates you requested. My sincere apologies. Monica Voegeli
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

Mrs, Mr,
The room 432:
A paper: "Hello Mr Flemings" ... my name is not Mr Flemings.
I come alone: a bed for a baby
But the worst was the smell: cleaning product.
I had to change room: 232. A little noise every day: you hear a woman walking with heels.
I signal to the desk an hole in the sheet of the bed in the morning. I had to repeat it in the evening (nothing was done).
Very bad service.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
I am so sorry to read about your obviously unacceptable service at our hotel.
The room change of the mentioned guests with the baby cot request and a misscommunication between housekeeping and reception lead to your unpleasant surprise. Nevermind, I agree that this is a no go and I will immediately look into this with my head of departments. It's a pitty you didn't mention it during your stay, as we would have made it up to you. Now, all I can do is extend my sincere apologies. Best regards, Monica Voegeli
Chippenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

I stayed here on business for two nights, I've stayed at two other hotels multiple times in Zurich over the past year and been really disappointed with room sizes, quality and customer service.

Based on TripAdvisor reviews and it being average price (for Zurich) I thought I'd give it a try.

From the moment I walked in the door the customer service was exceptional, we arrived late in the evening and wanted something to eat/drink. The bar was close to closing but they sorted us with drinks and food just outside the bar so we could finish whilst the bar closed which was a nice touch.

We stayed talking for a while and one of the staff passed buy and fetched us another drink despite the bar being closed.

The rooms are large, very comfortable beds and amazing showers. Even had a Nespresso machine in the room.

Breakfast was nice if not a little expensive, but it is Zurich after all.

Tram stop was just a few minutes walk away and the front desk can provide tickets. They also gave a great recommendation for a Swiss restaurant.

I'll definately be back, amazing service which makes a huge difference.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank darrenj
I agree, our business is all about customer service. Thank you so much for your fabulous feedback. I'll make sure my staff gets to read it, too. We all look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Best regards, Monica Voegeli & team