5 people are viewing this hotel
PricelineUS$722
Hotels.comUS$411
TravelocityUS$411
2,083 results
All reviews butler service train station adjustable beds fresh fruit excellent location shopping street fantastic hotel luxury hotel central location breakfast buffet junior suite old town zurich hb bahnhofstrasse concierge andi switzerland
Selected filters
Reviewed 11 August 2022

At the outset, I would like to say that my family and I travel quite often (around 4-5 times a year, pre-pandemic) and there have been incidents during our travels in which our experiences at hotel have not been up to par, however, we are not usually the ones to post our grievances or negative reviews of any sort on a public forum.

Unfortunately, our experience at the Hotel Schweizerhof was so deplorable and outside the realm of acceptability that I am compelled to share my thoughts here if only to ensure that “us Indians” and other people of colour do not face the kind of racism and discrimination that we encountered at 9:30 pm on August 6th, 2022.

When my family and I arrived at the hotel on the night of August 6th, we entered the hotel and asked the gentleman at the front desk (Andi Romianto, Assistant Chef Concierge) to send us someone to assist with our luggage. I was waiting outside on the street with our luggage. When the porter (Mr. Michail Basdekis) finally arrived, he waited at the top of the stairs in the lobby and refused to come to help us with the luggage. He began summoning us with his hand gestures and aggressively demanded that we bring the luggage up to the lobby (up a short flight of stairs) ourselves. When I told him that this wasn’t something we expected at a hotel of this standard, and this was why we had asked him to assist us in the first place, he became extremely violent and abusive. He began cursing in his own language and then turned to me and said “YOU INDIANS, don’t know how to talk or behave” followed by racist expletives for the next 2-3 minutes. He then continued to be openly hostile with my mother and my wife.

We were in absolute shock! This sort of behaviour is so antiquated and unacceptable. We weren’t the only ones - our Limousine driver, Mrs. Briget, was appalled. She said that she had never witnessed this sort of unacceptable behaviour in all her years driving a limousine. She constantly said that she was ashamed. Please note: we first met Bridget an hour or so ago the very same day! Any human being would be disgusted by this encounter.

She would later insist on coming to the front office and speaking to Mr. Andi and Mr. Andreas Stockli, the General Manager of the hotel, to relay what she had witnessed. We cannot thank her enough for her kindness.

What followed and the manner in which the hotel handled the situation, is perhaps, just as bad. When we relayed the events to Mr. Andi at the front desk and told him that it would be impossible for us to stay at the hotel after such an insult and to find us another hotel of comparable standard, we realised that this situation was out of his depth. When we requested to speak to the General Manager of the Hotel, Mr. Andi was very reluctant to make us speak to him, however, when we repeatedly insisted, he finally got Mr. Andreas Stockli on the phone.

At first, Mr. Stockli heard us out, made the appropriate sympathetic statements and tried to whitewash all the sins of his staff by offering us a discounted stay the hotel (as if, I he thought racist behaviour like this could be forgiven by monetary compensation)! When we told him that we had absolutely no intention of ever staying his hotel again, he first tried again to convince us to stay for one night. When I made it clear to him that this was not an option, he got impatient and short - he asked me to hand the phone to Mr. Andi so that he could ask him to find a suitable hotel. I would like top reiterate here, my father and I both clearly told Mr. Stockli that we were not interested in monetary compensation of any sort from his hotel. [PLEASE NOTE: I have also attached the letter that Mr. Stockli wrote to us on Monday, August 8th.]

We then waited for Andi to get back to us with hotel options. After around 45-60minutes, Andi came back with hotel recommendations that were just not acceptable to my family and I. If we had not been familiar with Zurich, we would have had to stay at a subpar hotel believing it was a luxury hotel! When I asked Andi why he wasn’t checking with comparable hotels, he said that he was only checking with the hotels that Mr. Stockli had instructed him to check with.

I realised that we could expect nothing from Mr. Stockli or Andi even in this situation and took matters into my own hands. I called 4-5 hotels and was lucky to find availability at the Widder Hotel. I would like to state here that the staff at the Widder Hotel were absolutely fantastic (especially Joyce) and went out of the way to accommodate us at such a late hour (around 11pm at this point). I was able to secure two hotel rooms in 15 minutes, when the concierge of a supposed luxury hotel had failed to do so for the 45-60 minutes. It was clear that they had no intention of helping us, they were only interested of getting rid of us.

Conclusion: Any Indian or other person of colour should avoid this hotel at all costs and so should any other human being who doesn’t condone this sort of racist behaviour. #boycotthotelschweizerhof

Date of stay: August 2022
19  Thank ameyashroff
Hotel Schweizerhof Zürich Hotel Schweizerhof Zürich, General Manager at Hotel Schweizerhof Zurich, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2022

Dear guest
I am very sorry that our apologies and efforts have not found acceptance with you.
The unpleasant situation for you and your family was unfortunately caused by a chain of misunderstandings, which I very much regret. For this I apologise again from the bottom of my heart.
However, I must also admit that we as a hotel could not meet your usual demands and high expectations.
Nevertheless, I am happy for you and your family that you have found a great place in Zurich that fully meets your needs.

I wish you and your family a long and happy life.

With kind regards

Andreas Stöckli

Reviewed 7 August 2022

The premises are very well kept. The Restaurant’s staff are very kind and friendly. The Bar’s staff are very friendly and helpful, the staff at the Reception instead are slightly less friendly than in other Swiss hotels.

Date of stay: August 2022
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Land00
Hotel Schweizerhof Zürich Hotel Schweizerhof Zürich, General Manager at Hotel Schweizerhof Zurich, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2022

Dear Land00
Thank you very much for choosing our Hotel Schweizerhof Zürich as your accommodation and for your positive feedback on your stay. We hope that you've had a pleasant time in Zurich and we would be honoured to welcome you back with us again - to prove our full hospitality.
Best regards

Reviewed 30 July 2022

Room was small but not tiny - you might say normal for Europe. Very centrally located hotel. Breakfast was bright and excellent.

The clientele skewed older, however the wine bar in the lobby had some great live music and vibe. If it hadn't seemed like an amazing place to catch covid while all the travel quarantine requirements were still in place, I would have been in there.

Date of stay: June 2022
1  Thank johnny_travelot

Dear Johnny

Thank you for having stayed at our Hotel Schweizerhof Zürich and for having taken the time to express your opinion online. I am very happy that you were fond of our Hotel as well as its location and that we were able to delight you with our breakfast. However we are sorry that the pandemic marred your stay.

It would be an honour to welcome you back with us in the future and we will gladly remain at your disposal for any further questions or wishes.

Kind regards

Reviewed 29 July 2022

Service at Schweizerhof is impeccable: they remembered that a street facing room was too noisy for me and booked me into a courtyard room. Staff are extremely friendly and attentive and the rooms / beds very comfortable. Only ask: Maybe add capers to the salmon for breakfast, Overall my new favorite place to stay in Zurich, because it is also optimally located. Back soon!

Date of stay: July 2022
  • Trip type: Travelled on business

Dear GourmandTrashPanda

It is a pleasure to see that you have enjoyed your stay at the Hotel Schweizerhof Zürich, as much as we enjoyed accommodating you. Consequently, I would like to thank you for expressing your great feedback.
I'm very happy that our staff were able to delight you. We are happy to take note of your suggestion for improvement regarding breakfast.
We look forward to welcoming you as our guest again soon. Until then, please accept our warmest greetings.

Reviewed 27 July 2022

all together a wonderful stay at this high class hotel. wonderful service at reception and room service as well as in the breakfast room. top location just opposite the railway station and at the beginning of the all important shopping street the bahnhofstrasse.

Date of stay: July 2022
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Michael B

Dear Michael

It is a great delight to receive your feedback and to read that your stay has been to your fullest satisfaction. Many thanks for having chosen our hotel and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

To welcome you back would be a big honour.

Warm regards from Zurich