“Beautiful concert venue”

and up
Private Tour: Zurich Walking Tour
Ranked #49 of 242 things to do in Zurich
Reviewed 19 June 2016 via mobile

Tonhalle/Kongresshaus is a concert/event venue in Zürich. It has space for up to 1700 people, a beautiful atmosphere and acoustic.
Tonhalle Orchestra plays classical music and there are many events of different genre, both played here and at the Kongresshaus.

Reviewed 13 June 2016

I saw a concert featuring Radu Lupu and the Tonhalle orchestra which was of a very high quality. The concert hall itself is a beautiful venue and feels a special place to visit.
The seats were comfortable although I have to say the ticket prices were not cheap (I sat in the front row as the concert was nearly sold-out) but I guess the prices in Zurich generally are not cheap! I liked the airy way the side of the hall opens up to the area where interval drinks can be taken.

Reviewed 8 June 2016

The quality of the concerts varies depending on the society playing. Parterre is flat and the view from the rear can be not too good. Sound quality OK. If you book online, make sure you don't have columns on your way.
Big problem: no air conditioning nor ventilation (the system dates back to 1939 or so). The heat and humidity in the room during the summer can become really uncomfortable.

1  Thank Elisabetta F
Reviewed 13 January 2016 via mobile

I stopped here to see the orchestra play and was amazed at the decor. A more traditional take on an orchestra hall.

There were plenty of seats open and we were able to shuffle a little closer to the stage so we could see them play.

There is a coat check however we didn't use it in hopes to not have to exchange our currency yet again (we already had maybe four exchanges by this time in our trip). Very kind and friendly environment.

The orchestra performance was excellent.

See more reviews
Reviewed 14 January 2015

I've been there several times for orchestral performances. And every time I think what a wonderful concert hall this is. It's small enough that the music can be presented without electronic amplification! That is rare compared to this age of immense halls. An acoustic box of just the right size and proportion.
And the beauty of the performance space (not so much the lobby and intermission area), especially the ceiling, adds immensely to one's enjoyment.

1  Thank Chris S