US$269
US$198
NH Hotels
Savings alert! 26% below average rates

The price you found is 26% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$268/night.

US$225
US$181
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$206/night.

US$177
Savings alert! 14% below average rates

The price you found is 14% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$207/night.

Crowne Plaza Amsterdam South(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$167
US$131
Savings alert! 25% below average rates

The price you found is 25% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$174/night.

Holiday Inn Amsterdam(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$145
US$129
Savings alert! 23% below average rates

The price you found is 23% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$168/night.

US$253
US$184
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$206/night.

Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$148
US$118
Free cancellation until 26/07
US$836
  • Pool
US$951
  • Pool
Ibis Amsterdam Centre Stopera(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsgay clubsen suite bathgreat locationgreat hostsother gueststhe main hotelcold cutsnoisy at nightfirst floorcentral locationno liftmajor attractionsfour nightsclean hoteltram stopenjoyed my stayleidsestraat
Reviewed 15 September 2009

The Amistad was home for us for 9 nights, and we enjoyed staying there immensely. The staff (Danny, Mike, Elioje) are all terrific. We met very interesting and fun fellow travelers at the communal, welcoming breakfast each day (which is served until 1 p.m.). The rooms were not huge but totally adequate. Each one came with its own PC and flat-screen TV! The hotel is located many gay venues (bars, nightclub, restaurants) and is quiet at night. We will definitely go back when in Amsterdam.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2009

At first I was very impressed with the Amistad and felt it was a big improvement over my previous Amsterdam hotel. The front desk staff is very friendly and welcoming in general. There is a bright internet cafe/breakfast room where you check in - unfortunately I checked out before their late breakfast start of 9am (lasts to 1pm however so good for those who party late in Amsterdam).

The room had a computer with internet which was a first for me. There was a sink and safe (which they could never get to work) and adequate space. There was no a/c but a large window that faces a noisy street (the staff jokingly indicated that is what earplugs are for) - wasn't an issue for me but may be if you want to get to bed early. The bathroom was down the hall and was fine. Cleanliness in general was good but the drinking glasses in my room were dirty (there were wet coffee rings below them) and they were never exchanged even after I brought this to the management's attention.

The location right off fthe Leidsestraat was ideal to explore many parts of the city and is about 15 minutes walk to the Central Station.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank rjc260
Reviewed 7 September 2009

Farmed out to an annex after booking months in advance for hotel.Staff not welcoming.
Room not cleaned regularly in spite of speaking to cleaning staff.
Trying to get breakfast from drunk/drugged staff was almost imposible.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Dkh123
Reviewed 7 August 2009

i have stayed at the amistad before and recommended it to my friends to stay. The rooms we were allocated were in the annexe but would appear not to be in the new annexe but an overspill located above a sex shop. They were furnished very basically and quite hot. Room service was patchy with towels not being changed fully throughout our stay.

On the plus side the communal breakfast area was well appointed with friendly staff and a nice selection of food and drinks and was open until 1pm.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with friends
3  Thank swimboi
Reviewed 22 May 2009

I had checked TripAdvisor reviews on this property after having made my reservation and was not sure what I would find - and now I am glad I could not cancel my reservation by then! I work for a hotel and must say that Mike's warm welcome, grt. smile included, was a great start. While checking me in, and without overdoing it, asked if it was my first time to Amsterdam, if I would like any hints on where to go, what to see, etc., all done with a sincere interest I have rarely found elsewhere, incl.5 star properties!

As the hotel itself was full, I was put up in one of the 6 apartments they have in the very same area and after checking in, receiving a map of the city with my points of interest highlighted and clearly indicated by Mike, he accompanied me to what would be my room for the next 3 days. It was just a few steps away and if there is anything on the negative side to say, these would be, in order:

- the steps up to the apartment
- the room's out of date decor and need of a fresh coat of paint

Re. the stairs, this is something totally out of their control as all homes in the canal area have high ceilings and feature the same stairwells adapted to each home's architecture: narrow (in all senses of the word) and steep! Normal in homes where space was to be maximized and facades were meant to be as narrow as possible to reduce the applicable city property taxes (when the homes were built these were based on the front width of your home, so....). So might as well turn that to your advantage and think of the good this is doing to your legs, etc.

The room was bigger than I had thought it would be, featuring two single beds (which were comfortable and firm), closet, small work table, chairs, colour TV, DVD, en suite bathroom and a beautiful, very large window overlooking the gardens all these homes hide behind them. The bathroom was also nice sized, with natural light and full bathtub. The best feature here? The natural light and the very large sink top area! :) Oh! Don’t forget to bring your own shampoo and shower gel. I also saw the direct hotel rooms, and these are very welcoming, comfortable and contemporary - though if you want your own bathroom you must request it in advance. Cleanliness throughout the hotel is very visible.
Internet access is offered in the hotel and apartments, though I could not find the plug for it....

The hotel is located close to everything: Central Station is only a max. 10 minute tram ride away, with 3 different lines serving it from near the hotel (there are two stops, each only a three minute walk from the hotel); it is between two central canals and near the corner of a smaller, very nice one; excellent restaurants (the Portuguese one just across the street from them is a definite must do, featuring excellent home cooking at reasonable rates - thanks for recommending it guys!); shopping; Rijksmuseum; gay (the main gay street is just a 5 to 10 minute walk away) and straight bars; the flower market; open air cafes; parks and city monuments.

They offer their own canal boat trip (and at 25Euros is it great value), which is an excellent way to visit the city (it may sound canned, but it is true), particularly on a sunny day. It is a perfect sized open motor boat (seats six comfortably plus the "captain") and the hotel managers themselves do the "driving" and comments - and their knowledge of the city is admirable, incl. fun and interesting trivia. A very first hand, personal and fun way to see Amsterdam.

Of the tours they recommended, all were fun and not massified, something more to be grateful for; and the breakfast is as close to home made as possible - it is as I always have it! Do not expect a full English or American one, but it does feature cold cuts, cheese, cereals, eggs, toast, butter and jams - and if you ask nicely they'll even make you a great turkey and sweet mustard sandwich! Breakfast times are 9am to 1pm (not bad at all if you partake of Amsterdam nightlife!), but if you have an earlier departure they will accommodate you. Nice hot coffee, teas, juices, low fat, non-fat and regular fat milks rounds this meal out.

The breakfast room, after 1pm, also serves as an internet center, although the rooms feature internet access - WiFi and/or cabled - though I cannot say for sure if it is complimentary.

The rate I paid, though within market for this type of hotel, I found a high for the room I was given - had it been directly in the hotel itself, then my value rating would have definitely been higher. Service and cleanliness, as can be seen, was excellent and key in balancing this out.

I have waited several days to write this review to give myself time to be as impartial as possible, and possibly remember things I may have overlooked whilst there given the great time I had and how welcoming and helpful they were - but besides the two point above detailed, no others come to mind.

And fantastic also is how they do not run after you, or continuously pressure you for payment in case you stay in one of the apartments they run, but I had better explain this point: for rooms at the hotel itself, credit card payment is a viable option, option not available for the apartments they run where cash upfront is required (they do warn you in advance so this cannot be criticised). As I thought I would be staying in the hotel I was not carrying enough cash, but given many of us have limits as to how much we may take out on a daily basis from automatic tellers, they checked me in without any problem after pre-paying my first night. The other two I paid on my last night without problem, hassle or other ways of acting one normally finds at other hotels.

Oh! And if you are looking for a fun little bar to go to and hang out with the locals, then head off to the Cafe Sientje on Korte Reguliersdwars Straat, 6! Fun, kitsch bar - almost tacky! but truly fun - where all are welcome, live singer is featured and the drinks are good and reasonably priced. Now, two things: the street is numbered really weird (when you see number 4 - if coming off the normal Reguliersdwars Straat - then you have just walked past the bar); and the bar from the outside can be confused with one of those establishments you know to find in the Red Light District. But do not worry, it is truly a place to see, listen to Dutch popular songs, have a drink and walk out with a smile on your face wanting to go back in. You will feel welcomed and will get an insight into Dutch life, at least from a working class perspective where, as indicated, all (straight, gay, lesbian, rich, less rich, no rich,…..) are welcome. :) It is open, I think, from Thursdays to Sundays incl. Ask for Jan (pronounced Yan) - the owner - when there.

As I indicate when I first began writing this I work for a deluxe hotel chain (in sales) and given my professional - and extensive travel - experience can truly say that Hotel Amistad is a great place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo