“Very disappointing”
Review of Prinsenhof

Prinsenhof
Ranked #54 of 343 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 December 2010

Booked this for a budget weekend away with my boyfriend. Expected it to be very basic but still had high hopes based on the very funny website, the cute rooms shown in the photos and the tripadvisor reviews I had read. Was sorely disappointed. At no time did we encounter any charm during our stay, either in the room, which was tiny and characterless, or from the staff, who were downright rude. Having booked a double we were given a twin (with the beds separate). I queried this nicely and the response was simply "Most of our rooms are twins". Not very romantic. The room was very small and faced the back. It was not in the slightest bit cute and bore no resemblence whatsoever to the rooms shown in the photos on the website, which had looked to be a bit run down but still have plenty of character.
Staff were reluctant to let us leave our bags after we checked out at 11am, which I had never encountered anywhere before. They did agree and we said we would be back around 5pm to collect them. We returned at 6pm to be roundly chastised by the member of staff as he had planned to finish for the day at 5pm and no-one else was arriving when he finished (he had not mentioned this in the morning, otherwise we would and could have returned by then!).
Guess your experience will depend on the room you get, as a lot of people seem to have really enjoyed their stay in this hotel. It is cheap for Amsterdam and the location and surrounding area are good but I would definitely not stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 November 2010

I have searched a lot for a nice place with reasonable price. I found this place through trip advisor (Thank you :) ). I am very happy with the stay. The one should know what to expect. It's Amsterdam so almost every hotel has stairs, they're relatively small... so this is what it is. Don't expect a Ferrari while you have budget for a Honda! This is a very nice Honda though :)

This place is not in the middle of the action but not far away from it as well. So if you want to sleep at night, this is it. By the way, since the structure is an old building, the sound isolation is weak. Which means you may hear the door closing sound from the next door room. Be aware of it and don't bother yourself. I stayed 3 nights there. I had a nice room with canal view. I loved the atmosphere of the breakfast room with classical music playing. Very friendly staff. Their web page is cool too. Spend some time reading their web page. "The beauty is hidden in the details" You'^ll remember my sentence while checking their web page out :)

I am very happy that I have picked this place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 September 2010

Other than a great location, there is absolutely nothing to recommend this guest house. We were in a room facing the canal - it was very noisy most of the night and hard to sleep because we had to keep the windows open because it was hot and muggy in the room. Speaking of the room, it was in quite poor shape - carpet is worn, walls dingy, just not a nice room. And the staff was not very friendly, especially the night manager who obviously drank a lot at night and did not want to be disturbed. We had to go to the bar down the street at midnight to ask where we could take our son who was sick - didn't even try the night manager as he was clearly rude, incompetent, and probably passed out anyways. Then, best of all, on our last night, without it even raining outside, water started running down the side of the wall. It soon stopped - I thought I was dreaming. Then in the morning, when we were about to leave, it started raining in the room again, but this time, also on our bed, which we luckily were no longer sleeping in. The woman who was working said nonchalantly, "Oh, that's happening again." For the amount they are charging, you would think they would spend some money fixing up the place. I guess a positive, other than the location, was that we didn't get bed bugs from staying there. AVOID THIS PLACE!!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank TrippingStu64
Reviewed 4 September 2010

We wanted to spend a night in Amsterdam without spending too much. The Prinsenhof offered the cheapest rooms and was well rated on TA. So, we took a chance. We were not disappointed. For the price we paid, we really enjoyed the location in front of a canal and close to nice restaurants and pubs full of locals. It was less crowded and touristy than the city center. The room in the attic was really big and clean enough for us since. We just wanted a place to crash for the night after all. We didn’t have any problem with the share bathroom since it was share between only two rooms and it was clean. I don’t remember that much the breakfast but I know it wasn’t bad. You can’t go wrong with free food to start your day.

Yes, there are a lot of steps to get into the room and the staircase is small and there is no elevator. It’s Amsterdam! Yes, there are not that many amenities and the breakfast is probably basic. But, you are shopping for a budget hotel/hostel!

So, having acknowledged that, I think it gives all the charm and the appeals to that hotel. We really enjoy the Prinsohof, the attic room, the location and Amsterdam! You can choose the Prinsenhof for a nice stay if you are travelling on a budget.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LilyCan
Reviewed 21 May 2010

Bearing in mind how inexpensive this place is, I really cannot complain about it. The room was not terribly small, and we actually had a nice view of the canal. The room looked worn but was clean upon arrival, though we were not sure whether it was cleaned during our stay. The man in charge of the hotel was, perhaps, not overly friendly, but he was certainly polite and accomodated us in any way we needed. In fact, he was goodly enough to remember that we ideally wanted one of the en suite rooms and changed our booking (with our permission) when one became available. The breakfast was typical for that part of Europe (cold cuts, toast, hardboiled eggs), but it offered less variety than we got from our hotel in Germany (i.e. there was only one kind of cheese, one kind of meat, etc.), but it was completely adequate to get you going in the morning. The only complaint I have is that the hotel did smell of smoke (sometimes quite strongly), but this was only a minor issue for us. Overall, though, I would recommend this place confidently to anyone travelling on a budget.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple