Hotel Plantage
US$379
US$764
US$349
  • Restaurant
NH Amsterdam Museum Quarter(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$318
US$293
Trip.com
  • Restaurant
Hotel The Exchange(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$310
  • Pool
US$423
US$398
  • Pool
XO Hotels Park West(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$216
Hilton Amsterdam(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$469
Cancelon
  • Room Service
All reviewstram stopartis zoobasic roomcity centrevending machinebudget hotelstairs are steepfirst floorvery nice hotellocation is greatred light districtcentral stationsupermarketdryercafes
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 May 2011

We stayed in Room 34 -- one of the attic rooms.

The hotel and location are very neat. It's a little outside the hustle of the city, yet still close enough. The building is old, giving it a lot of character. That's the only nice things I can say.

The room was filthy. There were bugs on the sheets. There were marks all over the walls. There was hair and other stuff left from the previous occupant. The drain didn't work, leaving an inch of water across the bathroom floor (the floor is all tile, and no separation for the shower). And on top of all that, the staff accused me of blackmail.

We had traveled to Amsterdam from Germany. This hotel was a sort of last resort as everything was either booked up, or more than 120 euros per night. Because of this, we dealt with the room and its problems. But I took photos (I've posted them here, but haven't seen them show up yet). Upon checkout, I showed the staff the photos of our room. At first they seemed concerned, calling it a "major" problem. Then when I asked for a refund, things turned for the worse.

The staff took on an attitude that I was trying to scam them. "The spider could have flown in through an open window." "Why did you wait until morning to tell us these problems?" "Now you are here trying to blackmail us." "If you saw poor reviews, why did you book with us?"

Yes, I traveled more than 5,000 miles to Amsterdam to blackmail a small hotel. [/sarcasm]

It was surreal. The staff was blaming the problems on the guest for not being more vigilant in selecting the hotel. The fact that there were bugs, a filthy room, and a bathroom drain that didn't work were normal. It was us, the guests, that were at fault.

On the plus side, after talking to the owner, I wasn't offered a refund, but I was offered a discounted room on my next stay! Absolutely laughable.

Save the trouble -- take a look at the photos I've attached here and book somewhere else.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Wackawacka44
Management response:Responded 8 May 2011

Ofcourse we regret very much if our guests are not satisfied. We do our best to provide all service and information we can. In this case we could have offered our guests another room if they would have let us know at check-in. Demanding a full refund at check-out is not realistic, though we did offer a discount on a new future booking. Again: we are happy to do everything we can to make our guests happy; accusing us of blackmail is beyond our universe.

Reviewed 4 March 2011

This stay was very pleasant and if I'm ever going back to Amsterdam, I'd like to stay there again. The location is very convenient, just few stops form the very centre, the staff is very friendly, room was very clean and had a huge bathroom.
The only disadvantage is, however, that the hotel doesn't provide any breakfast or food in general.

• Stayed: September 2010
1  Thank FlameLady
Reviewed 15 February 2011

very pleasent stay at a very clean hotel, this is my 4th time staying at plantage and everytime has been a good experience.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 December 2010

On this occaision I feel the need to imform any other person who is looking at staying here!
I have been to Amsterdam on numerous occasions so I know what to expect in regards to the general budget hotels in around the city but this by far the worst place I have ever stayed! Dont get it twisted Im not high maintance but you do expect the basic hospitality even if the hotel states that you will recieve more.
On arrival we were allocated to the attic room. The recpetionist explained we would not recieve any housekeeping in this room, and if you wanted a clean towel you come down down and ask.This room was like a cupboard! 3m by 4m. No bigger. Out of the 5 lights (5!) 1 worked! There were extention cable everywhere! All in all 20 electric points (20!) There was a roof window so you had no view and it didnt shut properly, though there was a little space heater!! It was dirty, damp and smelt like a stale coffeeshop. There was a tv at the end of a bed on top of a stool. I knocked this over entering the room. The bathroom was foul, it had no ventilation the ceiling was covered in mould, when the shower was on it was easiest to sit on the toilet to shower (!) The bathroom door was filty rotten and slimey! 2 night we got back and the there was no electric which meant our room was pitch black! All the hotel guy was saying was it wasnt his fault but I was not willing to stay in there as it was cold and pitch black In the end I got allocated to another room with a window so we had a bit of light from the night lights outside, this room on the other was OK, it was a dam sight cleaner and certainly bearable which raises the question why were we put in this cupboard in the first place when you pay for a double room. He didnt understand any of what I was telling him (or did he) This room was loud though til 3 in the morning no sleep when you ave to leave at 6 am pissed off was a understatement. If you use this hotel make sure you request you do not stay in the cupboard up top! And if you do dont say I didnt warn you!!! YUCK! oh and the hotel internet! Dosent work!! Dont bother!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank becka_j_h
Management response:Responded 8 May 2011

We did our best to make our guests happy; we did give them another room, but it seems nothing helped anymore. The socalled "cupboard" is one of the two small twin attic rooms we have in the hotel and are the cheapest rooms we have. The ensuite shower and the room have been completly renovated in januari this year and a new flatscreen TV installed. During the stay of these guests there has been a electric powercut in the neighbourhood and then lights, Wifi or Tv does't work. There is a computer available in the reception area incase guests are not able to log in through Wifi. Hotel Plantage is in the middle of the quiete open green Plantage area in the centre of Amsterdam. Trams run in front of the hotel and stop service between 12.30 and 1 o'clock at night; what was the reason of noice after midnight is a question for us.

Reviewed 17 December 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed here in mid October for a getaway. We stayed in the top attic room. The view was breathtaking! Plantage Kerklaan is a beautiful little neighborhood. Quite busy during the day and very peaceful in the evening. The tram (9 & 14) picks up directly outside the hotel. Also, there is an ATM right outside, along with some great restaurants. The hotel service was wonderful. They do housekeeping based on your request, which is perfect in my opinion! They were very friendly, as well. If you're a wimp about carrying your own luggage or climbing many stairs, this place is not for you. If you plan on staying out late and enjoying the finer parts of Amsterdam, don't worry about not finding your hotel! This hotel is in a very convenient neighborhood.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple