“I no longer need to wonder "where's the beef" in Antwerp!”
Review of El bife

El bife
Ranked #86 of 1,718 Restaurants in Antwerp
Cuisines: Argentinian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 14 December 2015

I dine at major steakhouses on a regular basis when I'm at home in the US. I have made it a point to avoid beef while visiting Antwerp, though. I learned this less when I first started making regular trips back in 2008. However, sometimes a craving hits hard and it must be mediated. That happened tonight.

I have dined out twice while in Antwerp this week. The meals were just OK. This feeling of not having a "great" meal left me wanting something more during my last night. The friend I stay with lives near a place that serves ribs. I figured I'd try it out but the reviews weren't great. This led me to El Bife. It was well-reviewed on Tripadvisor so I stopped by for dinner.

I don't know how I have missed this location all these years walking around in the neighborhood. A great beef location was right under my nose, but I never knew it! The first thing you notice upon entering is the wood-burning grill inside the front door. I knew the meat would be cooked properly after I saw that. The menu is simple and has the appropriate cuts for beef lovers. I had my heart set on spare ribs though.

My dinner came with a nice salad WITH GREAT TOMATOES. I couldn't believe I would have flavorful tomatoes in Antwerp in December. You can't get that in California, nevermind Antwerp during most of the summer months! My entree was large and I had the baked potato instead of fries. It's cute that they call it a "jacked potato."

The ribs were tender and juicy. My only complaint, and thus not five stars, is there is something bizarre in the sauce they put on the spare ribs. I eventually figured out it is All Spice. I'm not a fan of it, but I know that Europeans tend to like it. To me it made my ribs have a hint of a cookie on them. I prefer Louisiana Style ribs, but no matter. Next time I'll just order a steak. The other cuts I saw being served didn't appear to be loaded with sauce.

The potato was great. I've had my fair share of baked potatoes, and you CAN ruin them. The butter that came with the cold sauces was also very yummy.

The interior is elegant and comfortable. Service is prompt and thorough. My only regret is not visiting this location sooner. I will definitely return!

1  Thank Gabi_EastBay

Reviewed 25 October 2015 via mobile

Very good restaurant and the personnel its very prepared but the meat it's exceptionally and its pleased in centre of Anversa

Reviewed 15 August 2015

This place was recommended to us by our host. When we asked him: where is the best steak in town, he did not hesitate even a bit: el bife it is. And the very first night in Antwerp we did find this place. What to say? It's excellent! Friendly service and excellent, just excellent steak. Go for it! Believe me, I know steaks. This one was one of the very best I have had.

Reviewed 6 August 2015 via mobile

We ate, 3 of us, at El Bife in Aug 2015. The restaurant is smallish but we had made a reservation. On a Tuesday evening I think that was probably unnecessary.

Fresh bread arrived accompanied by herb butter and dips - v piquant (which we like). More bread was offered when we hoovered up the first lot.

The starters were very good although unorthodox. The goats cheese salad was regular enough, but the mushrooms on toast turned out to be a plate of mushrooms with two more pieces of the baguette we'd already been eating. But what good mushrooms! They were lightly cooked in butter and herbs and were excellent.

The main courses were OK if you like fish etc. and great if you like steaks. Two prawn dishes were acceptable if not brilliant, but the cote a l'os (side of beef) was huge and beautifully cooked. The barbecue grills are right there in the restaurant - so you can see the steaks being cooked.

Can't speak for the pudding as we didn't have room for one.

Location is close to the cathedral

Reviewed 7 June 2015 via mobile

Awesome food and great friendly staff. I had the mixed grill and the meat was just awesome. Visited on a saturday and coming in half an hour prior to our reservation wasn't a problem. When you're in Mechelen and you like steak, this is the place to be.

1  Thank EK-TRAVEL77