“Good but not quite as good as last time”
Review of WY Brussels - CLOSED

WY Brussels
Price range: US$52 - US$106
Cuisines: French, Wine Bar
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 5 March 2017 via mobile

I go to Brussels once a year and for the past 3 years I have popped in to WY for lunch when I'm there. As is usual on a Saturday lunchtime it was not busy. I just wanted a light lunch. After the snacks tge starter was a crab salad which was pleasant and attractive on the plate. The chicken dish was a bit disappointing, breast with skin that wasn't crispy and a lamb curried roll in filo which was a bit greasy and like something out of an Indian restaurant. The Couscous was in part lumpy, not sure if it was supposed to be like that. It was edible, but not really up to their usual standard. Desert was a white chocolate mouse on bavoir biscuits, with lumps of cauliflower and some desiccated cauliflower, interesting and pleasant enough, but not exactly a demanding technical desert. I still like the quirkiness of the place and would go back, but it maybe needs a bit of a refresh in the kitchen?

1  Thank martinidoc

Reviewed 29 January 2017 via mobile

Booked late and we put ourselves on a waiting list via the WY web site. Luckily, Vincent the manager in charge for the day planning, called me back and confirmed a table for 2 was available. It means in case it is full, don't give up, they will follow through. The evening was fine, excellent service with all explanations needed for your dishes and sides. The food excellent as well, no need to expand, how can you be disappointed ? We chose our meals from la carte versus the X courses menu. Maybe one highlight about the desert, I chose an emulsion of Comté, affinage 18 months... Just outstanding, and quite an interested choice when you are more to end your meal on a cheesy taste versus a sweet. They also had a nice cheese plate choice but after the meal, there was not enough room left. My half chose the tarte tatin revisited, she loved it. One bémol was a table of 6 in the back very noisy, people from Malines we were told, too bad some people go in 1st class restaurant and are confused with the brasserie next door.
Another bemol was a table of 4, with a dog seating on the knees of a woman during the dinner. My girlfriend got very upset as she hates seeing animals in restaurants. Normally, we could expect a Michelin star restaurant to refuse animals in the place.
Overall we recommend and will go again.

Reviewed 18 January 2017

one of the better places to eat in Brussels. Very nice welcome, fabulous food. Onevword delicous. Ready to receive their second Michelin star. They did everything they could to to offer me differt plates because I'm gluten and lactose intolerant. Thank you so much!

Reviewed 12 December 2016

It is not the first time I’ve been here and once again, it was delicious. There is not a large choice on the menu, but what’s on offer is season related. They have an interesting formula with 6 different dishes. You can then chose between 3, 4, 5 or 6 courses (with or without accompanying wines). We went for a 5 course menu with the wines. The dishes were very nicely presented and, most of all, very tasteful. We had thinly sliced Holstein beef, some cuttlefish, hare fillet, rice pudding and to finish chocolate mousse. All of these dishes were accompanied by different well-chosen flavours, which did not take away the essence of the main ingredient, but, on the contrary, emphasised it. The wines, as well, were very good. For a change, they were not French, but still European.
The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable did the effort to address us in our own tongue.
Just a last point: they added some cabinets with green plants in the dining room, which makes it a little more intimate (which wasn’t the case before) without giving up space for the guests.

Reviewed 8 December 2016

Surprisingly after four courses in microscopic portions the size of amuse gueules we were not hungry an more. The decoration is special, to say the least, and the waitress explaning the course coming (who couldn't tolerate any inattentiveness) took as long for it as we for finishing the same.