“Thank you Tom for making our trip memorable”
Review of Bed in Gent

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ghent
Bed in Gent
Ranked #6 of 115 Ghent B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 June 2011

Tom, staying with you for a few days was just so wonderful. You serve a superb breakfast and what can we say about your mom's jams! They are wonderful. We enjoyed our conversations, the room was wonderful, your B & B location is so central and within walking distance of the Dampoor train station. You were just so helpful in providing information on your beautiful city and letting us know where all the beautiful sites were located. Needless to say we enjoyed our stay with you very much and would recommend you highly to anyone who would ask. If we are ever in Belgium again, we will definitely stay with you again. Tom, it was such a joy meeting you and we wish you the best of luck with your music. Thanks again.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 May 2011

i second everything the reviewer before me said. tom is a great person...his home became our home...ghent was the most amazing place and to be able to go back at the end of the day to a place like home and a host like tom is the greatest feeling.

basically the risk is that no place will live up to the experience you have at bed in ghent. honest!

enjoy the turntable (record player) in the room, which also has a good vinyl collection. pick up a book and just ease into the ghent atmosphere.

ghent-dampoort station is a 1 minute walk and there's a bike rental service there called max-mobile. everything else is a short walk away and tom will more than gladly help you.

we strongly recommend that one goes to ghent (and stays at bed in ghent) for at-least 5 days. YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2011

We stayed at Bed in Gent almost a year ago now, and our memories are so fond that we have decided to write a review. We loved it. And we especially loved Tom. He was beyond helpful (we were on our bicycles coming in from near Antwerp and he rode out to meet us and personally escort us to the bed and breakfast). He recommended the most incredible restaurant where we found Gent's famous mustard (and then bought a bunch to bring home with us...imagine 5 jars of mustard on a bike with all your gear). Our room was lovely. The breakfast was great. It's just a really nice quirky place, with a really nice quirky owner...great for really nice quirky people.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 May 2011

What you've read is true. All of it.

I've stayed in a number of places in Belgium, and 6--count 'em--6-- in Gent alone, and I'm going to tell the others to avert their eyes because what i'm about to say may hurt some feelings.

This Gent's best. Ever.

I could get all kinds of gushy about what a cool guy Tom is, what a find his place is, what cool music he's produced, and what fabulous friends he has, but let me get a grip and stick to the facts for you.

Location:
Quick walk to Dampoort train station, one of two stops in Gent. You are there in no time, and unlike St Pieter's, you don't have an uphill to travel to get to the heart of the historic center if that's your goal. Day or night, easy, safe walk.

Location features:
You are minutes from bank, bike rental, laundrymat (nice, well kept, well managed one if I do say so, yes this matters on a trip of more than a week.) and you are not at all far from the coolest parts of town. As a matter of fact, you are in one of them.

Links:
Tom will direct you to the best, least touristy, wonderful cafes, restaurants, bars. He knows who plays what gig when, and may even invite you to tag along, as he did one night while I was staying there.He will put you on the trail of the best bike rides in and out of Gent.

Space:
The room I stayed in was airy and bright, facing the street. Lively but not noisy neighborhood. Real people live here. The room was spotlessly clean and provided me with the thing I crave most (other than a soft bed and hot shower) a desk where I can work. I'm a journo by profession and a writer by habit, so I need and love a real working desk at the end of my day when posting to a blog or writing home.

Bath:
You could set up residence here. It's big. It's super clean. It's lacking the American style stand up shower stall (you'll see a lot of this in Europe: a tub with a shower attachment. This bothers some folks. Adapt.) I notice a lot of travelers remark when the shower quits, goes icy cold, has lousy pressure.(admit it you all notice this, even my intrepid fellow travelers who can eat bugs and stay in the open air at night) Not a problem here. It's top notch. And I suspect Tom's got a friend at Dille &Camille, the source of the world's fluffiest most snuggly towels ever. (yes, I love that shop, and no that's not an endorsement. I'm not allowed to do that.)

Rates:
You can't beat 'em with a stick. Considering this place, it's a bargain. (Should I have said that? Am I gonna find that the price doubles by my next visit? Doh!)

Now that I've said all that, I fear the hordes will descend and I'll be sol when I want to book again at Bed in Gent. But Tom's already rated #2, and climbing. And there's a reason for that. Enjoy.

Room Tip: Just ask.