“Great place to stay”
Review of Bed in Gent

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ghent
Bed in Gent
Ranked #7 of 115 Ghent B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 January 2012

Bed in Gent is in a quiet residential street, a couple of minutes walk from Dampoort railway station and about ten minutes from the historic centre.
We stayed in the second-floor room which consists of a large bathroom and a spacious bed/sitting room in a clean attic-like style, with free wi-fi, and a record player with an eclectic choice of LPs. A great breakfast is served in the ground floor kitchen/dining room, at a time of your choice, by Tom, your friendly host and a musician himself, who is a mine of information about Gent, and particularly about bars and restaurants near to the B&B. All his recommendations were excellent.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Andrew B

Reviewed 17 November 2011

What everyone else has said about Bed in Gent is true. It is quite simply delightful. My parents and I stayed here in August 2011 for a long weekend and it couldn't have been better. Tom is a wonderful host and ambassador for Gent. The perfect location in a funky neighbourhood combined with Tom's local knowledge meant an easy stay in a quiet gem. An enduring memory for me will be Tom sharing with my 70-year-old mother the finer points of music compostion on his Ipad2 over breakfast. Quality!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Ashlarm
Reviewed 21 October 2011

Second time at Bed in Gent, and still impressed. For good reason. Bed in Gent has it all.

Location? Check!
You are 5 minutes from Dampoort (rail) station, 10 minutes from great neighborhood restaurants and 15 minutes from world class museums, historic attractions, bars and parks.

Cool neighborhood? Check!
If you are not an urban type, Gent could tip you in that direction. On my very first arrival nearly 5 years ago, I confess it left me a bit cold. It didn't have the big city flair of Brussels, it didn't have the too-cute to be real feel of Brugge (Bruges) and it's not the fashionista magnet that is Antwerp. But scratch that surface. Understatement's the key here and Bed in Gent (BiG's) immediate neighborhood reminds me of the best kinds of city 'hoods. You'll find artists, musicians (more on that here) professionals and regular working stiffs. And you are among them all. What you need to know as a traveler: The street is vibrant but not noisy.

Great room/space? Check!
Two rooms here...each features high ceilings, a bright white paint job, and minimalist--but not astringent--decor. There's a desk suitable for writing long letters/emails/planning your next assault on the shopping or arts district. You'll find collections of books, vinyl you are invited to play, and a bottle of water replenished daily (as well as a few chocolates upon arrival. Oh, Belgium!) The beds are comfy and feature fluffy comforters. The bathroom is about the size of my first apartment (ok, that's a bit of a stretch, but it's spacious) and spotlessly, and I mean spotlessly clean. I travel solo, but found a stack of fluffy warm towels restocked each day. Americans, take note: we are used to shower stalls/curtains. You won't find that here. The deep tub (perfect for soaking) has a shower head attachment, but isn't US standard issue. Fear not: there's plenty of water pressure and you won't be deprived of hot water. I note it only because when folks travel, I hear this is a common complaint but this set up is typical of what I've found in Belgium, Amsterdam, UK, etc.

But here's what makes BiG special: the host, Tom Wolf. If you've spotted the other reviews, you've pretty much got the idea. Tom's an incredibly sweet, considerate host who is a delight to talk to. He can steer you to all Gent and its environs have to offer: from bike rides to bars. What isn't emphasized and perhaps should be is this: Tom isn't a bed and breakfast operator who happens to be a musician. He's a musician who happens to operate a bed and breakfast. If you check out clubs and concerts anywhere you travel, Tom is your guy...because he's very much a part of the music scene in Belgium (as are his siblings, just ask) he's worked with big names in the past, (and present, just ask) and I was lucky enough to catch him play while I was there. Get a preview http://tomwolf.bandcamp.com/album/for-mods-only and chat about the latest in arts and performance over the generous breakfast he lays out. I wish him every success with the music--to a point. Because I'll probably cry bitter tears should he ever decide to shutter Bed in Gent.

Room Tip: Both rooms are great, but if stairs are an issue with you, ask for the one on the second, not third...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank rodefiets
Reviewed 25 September 2011

My mother and I stayed at Bed in Gent in April 2011 and had the most pleasant experience. Tom was wonderful and took very good care at breakfast choosign wonderful cheese and danish selections from local shops near his home instead of supermarkets. The tea and coffee selections were also wonderful.

The bedroom we stayed in on the first floor was spacious and very comfortable. My mother and I actually liked the tub as it was an older one and reminded me of my Grammy's. A hand rail to help you out would have been nice too, but then it would have spoiled the ambience of the entire room. I liked the retro 50s and 60s furnitur. Though I usually like a television, I did not really miss it as i had my computer. There was also a record player and a great selection of records as well as some interesting books.

It was a pleasant 10 to 15 minutes walk from the center of town, which meant that it was quiet and outside the hubbub that you often encounter when staying more central. The downside of this is that there were not a lot of restaurants in the immediate area which was a little inconvenient since my mother was bedridden durign our time in Ghent and I would have appreciated a little more selection of take aways places nearby.

That leads me to Tom... in the 14 countries I have visited, he was by far the most outstanding host we have ever had. My mother got very sick prior to our arriving in Ghent and we had even considered cutting our 2 weeks trip a week and a half short because of it. Tom was able to get us an appoitnment with his doctor and the doctor was able to prrescribe some medicine for my mother who, as it turned out, had pneumonia. He not only saved our trip, but he probably saved her life because she was pretty bad.

The kindness he exhibited isn't just good manners, it is good business. My mother and I will definitely return here when staying Belgium.

Room Tip: The stairs are very steep so if you have mobility issues, know that you will have to climb at least...
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank MissVassy
Reviewed 23 September 2011

I'm not sure what more I could say about Bed in Ghent that hasn't already been said by everyone else, it certainly deserves its top rating, it's a fabulous place to stay. I'll use the space to provide some train-travel advice instead :-).
If you're arriving by train, Bed in Ghent is next to the Ghent-Dampoort station, with the main station being Ghent-St.Pieters. If you're coming from most of Belgium (e.g. Brussels) then the train will go through St.Pieters, and you need to transfer to another train going to Dampoort. Your train ticket will cover this, the ones going from St.Pieters to Dampoort are generally Antwerp trains and leave about 10-20 minutes after the incoming train from Brussels arrives, but the station info people will tell you which one to catch. It's a 5-10 minute trip to Dampoort. When you get to Dampoort, turn left out of the station, past the sea of bicycles and cars, and cross the road. Lucas Munichstraat is directly across the road.
If you're coming from/heading to Brussels airport, there are two trains, an express that takes 1:20 from Dampoort (with transfer at St.Pieter) and a standard one that stops a lot more often and takes 1:45.
Another thing to be aware of is that some trains stop at St.Pieters and only half the train continues on to Brussels. There are mumbled announcements in Dutch telling you this, but no other indication. Check the schedule or station personnel if in doubt.

Room Tip: There are only good rooms :-).
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo