“Second visit, as good as the first”

Restaurant De Wijngaert
Ranked #113 of 744 Restaurants in Bruges
Cuisines: Barbecue, Fast food
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 12 February 2012

This place is fabulous, the food is excellent, the staff really friendly and the environment is warm and cosy.

Make sure you book a table as it's only a small place but I defy you to find/taste a better cooked steak anywhere else, I so hoped the second time would be as good as the first and it was. Can't wait to visit again, thanks De Wijngaert, I'm counting down the days!!! :-)

Reviewed 18 January 2012

We dined here in December 2010 and have already set aside a night to return when we revisit Bruges in early February 2012. It's down a wee back street 10 minutes south-west of The Markt in a great location for anyone staying at The Ibis Centrum.

We befriended some locals at the pub '@The Pub' who heartily recommended the place and we were so glad they did [they said it is a favourite among locals]. It is best to book in advance to avoid missing out as space is limited to 40 or so seats. Unlike the other places we dined at, where they served you quickly in order to free up the table for someone else, the pace of life at De Wijngaert was slower - we sat down at around 20:30 and left just after 23:00. Marvellous.

The restaurant is single-roomed with the griddle/cooking area immediately inside the door on the right and in full view. The chef [owner?] sure put in a shift standing over the blazing coals all night yet he found enough time to visit every table, strike up conversation and find out exactly how you wanted your meat cooked. Everything was arranged in the cooking area in an orderly fashion - it was quite a sight. All of the other staff were equally engaging, friendly and helpful.

The portions of food were large by European standards, though count that also as value for money. The quality of the steaks were A1, par excellence - our group tried both the rib-eye and sirloin. I have not eaten steak like it in my life, before or since, plus it was cooked to perfection. The crispy chips/frites were also served in generous amounts. We only wish there had been more salad and will ask about that next time we go.

The evening cost around £40 per person and included a starter and steak for main, along with 3 drinks each. The beer selection was OK from what I remember [I tried the Blue Chimay and regular Rodenbach]. The bar was well stocked with single malt Scottish whiskies though a tad pricey at £6 plus per shot, and that was just for the standard 12 year olds.

Overall, this was a memorable night out at an excellent restaurant that runs things old-school style. It does the basics well and offers substance over style, with courteous and attentive, offering top grade food in a relaxing environment.

Reviewed 10 January 2012

My wife and my parents visited this restaurant last week, following the reviews on tripadvisor. As a Bruges local I did not know this restaurant yet (but seen the number of restaurants in Bruges it is impossible to know them all)
The staf was very friendly and we got as an apetiser (free) fried loempia's. I ordered first cheesecroquets, which were homemade and than the chateaubriand with paprika sauce. The meat was excellently seasoned and big in portion. My wife chose the salmon and was also very pleased with the taste.
The meat/fish is being cooked on an inside grill which makes it very cosy. There are about 30 places.

The price over all was very reasonable. we all took starters, main and desert and had 3 drinks each. We paid for 4 persons 160 euro.

Would recommand it when you are hungry or just like a lot of meat.

Reviewed 28 December 2011

My girlfriend and I visited in December 2011.

This restaurant is very small and cosy which creates a great and welcoming atmosphere.

The food is cooked in front of you and is reasonably priced.

1  Thank ManchesterMikeWill
Reviewed 27 December 2011

We visited as a family of 6 having booked over the internet (recommended to book for parties of 4 and over as only 30 seats). It was a cosy and friendly atmosphere made even more so by the helpful and accommodating staff. 5 massive steaks compared to UK portions and 1 flemish rabbit, all cooked to perfection according to every taste served with good portions of fries, crouqetts and salad. Sweets again didn't disappoint with apple pie and delicious creme burlee all washed down with good local beer and wine. Located near the Minnewater/Convent, this place is well worth a visit where ever you are staying in Bruges. Approx 30 euro each but excellent value having experienced the service. We'll certainly revisit. (Closed Wednesday) .Pam & Steve

2  Thank Porridge664