“really good hotel”
Review of Flanders Hotel

Flanders Hotel
Ranked #20 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Reviewed 11 December 2008

My wife and I and our younger daughter and her fiance have just spent a short break in Bruges. We stayed in Rooms 302 and 304 at the Flanders Hotel, which were superior rooms opposite each other. The youngsters' room overlooked the courtyard and had a toilet separate from the bathroom and on balance, I think it was better than ours, although this does illustrate the individuality of the rooms. That is not to say that our room was poor. On the contrary, the bed was large and comfortable; the room and the bathroom were clean and spacious.The only problem was that we overlooked the street and it was very noisy on the Sunday night only.
The buffet breakfast had a wide choice of food and the quality was high.
The staff were all unfailingly helpful and friendly, including the cleaners and breakfast waitress. I must, however, single out the lady in charge of the bar and the reception staff who were superb.
I was pleasantly surprised by the prices in the bar, which I found very reasonable for a hotel. The staff also recommended "De pepermolen" restaurant, which, whilst not cheap, offered wonderful food and quality wines.
Bruges is an exceptionally clean and safe city and does have its treasures away from the main tourist spots.
The ice sculpture show by the train station was first class.
I happily recommend both Bruges and the Flanders Hotel.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
Write a ReviewReviews (1,877)

Reviewed 4 November 2008

My Wife and i stayed at the Flanders for a short weekend break in the middle of October. We arrived at the hotel on thursday afternoon. We drove from the UK so were absolutely shattered. Glad to find a good secure car park at the rear of the hotel upon arrival, and the car park rates were very reasonable compared to most other hotels we looked at.

We had a very warm welcome, with lots of information and advice of good places to vist and eat. We then went up to our room and when we entered we were very happy to see we had been upgraded to a suite.

Breakfasts were all very good, selection of continental and also bacon and eggs.

All in all a lovely hotel with friendly and helpful staff. Will definately stay there again upon our next visit!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 2 November 2008

Flanders Hotel has smart public areas and the reception staff were helpful and pleasant. It's well positioned on a reasonably quiet road within the historic centre of Bruges.

The main negative is the limited space that they have which resulted in narrow, steep stairways and cramped accommodation, particularly the bathroom. This may be eased by now as they appeared to be in the process of spreading into the ajoining property which, whilst this won't necessarily change the layout of the original building, may result in some larger rooms being available.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 October 2008

My wife and I spent our local holidays in Belgium and decided to stay at Brugge as our base camp, mainly because we liked the idea of staying at a less noisy, big and crowded city than Brussels.
We chose the Flanders because of the reviews at TripAdvisor and the excellent rates. We took advantage of an early bird offer (via the Hotel's webpage. I will never understand how people keep on relying on places such as Expedia and booking, when you can get the same -or better- through the hotel itself, and with a lot more guarantees) which allowed us to stay in a suite for less than 175€ a night. The room was lovely, more of a junior suite as far as size goes, but with a gorgeous decoration, fireplace and all. The bathroom was huge, but you had to climb some stairs to get to it, and when we arrived tired from visiting it could be a hassle... anyway, it was just as great and clean as the rest of the room, and the photos from the top looked really good (will post some later).
Staff couldn't have been more helpful. Upon arrival, the girl at the front desk explained, in a perfect English (unfortunately, I don't speak French and her English was better than her Spanish), everything about the hotel, the room, the city and, best of all, where to eat. She recommended us Cambrinus and a small and cozy tapas bar called Cookies. We went to both of them and liked them so much that we ate there the next two days as well!
Breakfast was excellent, with lots of stuff to choose from, including bacon and scrambled eggs, and freshly squeezed orange juice, not that carton watery crap you get in most hotels.
I tried the pool once and it was all right, kinda small, but enough to relax and have a break. After all, we were not there for the pool.
Free internet was a plus, since we could check for maps, places to go and everyday's weather before going out visiting.
And I think that's all. To sum up, great value, gorgeous room, very nice staff and lovely city. I'm not one who likes to visit places more than once (so many different places in the world to see), but Brugge is one of those cities you'd like to visit once again. If I do, I'll be staying at the Flanders.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank MadAmerican
Reviewed 18 October 2008

Upon arrival, (paid my own taxi) hotel looked great. Until i was told they didn't have my room (the one i had spent an hour researching the night before on tripadvisor.com and then booking on booking.com).
they taxi'd me over to another sister hotel (with same rate). too bad flanders was #14 and their sister hotel was rated #64 with lots of reports of thefts and dreary rooms. they were right. room was like a prison cell with a lighting concept that is also confusing to others on tripadvisor. After manager at Flanders hotel, told their sister hotel that they would not even help me find a comparable room, I then paid for another taxi and went to Hotel Erasmus, where Tom, the manager, more than welcomed me and provided an amazingly clean room with a canal view. rated with less stars, yet great location and good room.

Ex[ect bait & switch with booking.com . they were still showing hotels as last one available when there were no vacancies. I don't mind paying extra to be comfortable and safe but I really don't like the bait & switch. as the girl at the counter at the second hotel said, "it is not uncommon to overbook". guess what, it's not uncommon for pickpockets to rip you off but that doesn't make it okay.

Stayed: October 2008
5  Thank timberSanDiego_Ca
Flanders_Hotel, Guest Relations Manager at Flanders Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2008

Flanders Hotel strongly objects to large parts of this review in general and the 'bait and switch' comment specifically. Our hotel is owned independently from any other in Bruges and does not ever willingly overbook, nor does it have a policy to provide fellow hoteliers with reservations, as implied in the review. Any unavailability of accommodation is a wholly uncommon occurence and our ranking and the vast number of positive reviews speak for themselves.

It is entirely normal for guests arriving at any hotel in Bruges (and far beyond), to pay their own cab fare from the train station. We fail to see why this is pointed out. We naturally covered the cost of the transfer to the other hotel. The reservation was made with us just before midnight, the evening before the day of arrival. Due to unforeseeable circumstances, the room intended for the guest’s use became unavailable after this time. As we were unable to reach the guest with the contact details provided, we sought alternative accommodation with a hotel of equal standard (4-star). The property concerned is reputable and very well located, amongst some of the most historic sights of Bruges. As shown in this case, the odd (possibly biased) review does not undo what has been established over a long period of time. The client never actually spoke with the hotel management, thus leaving us unable to address the issue any further during her stay in Bruges.

We regret these circumstances, however feel that in this case ‘the story told’ is unfair to what is surely one of Bruges’ best-liked city centre properties.