“Nice Hotel”

Ranked #22 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
London, United Kingdom
“Nice Hotel”
Reviewed 17 February 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights over a weekend. Very pleasant stay overall. Breakfast was very good, bar and common areas nicely decorated and staff were friendly. Our only issue was that the heating in the room was from a unit on the wall and as the temperatures were around -7 c while we were there, we needed to leave it on overnight as our room wa at the back of the hotel in a separate building and was over a garage. Hot air heating made for an uncomfortable sleep, with us waking up with parched throats and dry noses!! Not very nice!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sarahsimonireland

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Athens
Reviewed 16 February 2012

We just returned from our stay in Oud Huis de Peellaert in Bruges.
This is a medium sized hotel near the two main attractions of the city: the Grote Markt and the Burg. Also, its location is great for dining in intimate restaurants not far away from the center.
The price we payed for the total of our stay was more than great. Also, the hotel offered us free drinks upon arrival at the hotel bar (drinks were very well priced as opposed to all European 4-star hotels).
We stayed in room #214, whice is interconnected to #213, where our friends stayed, but the sound insulation was pretty good.
Room maintenance and cleaning was impeccable with nice branded products and soft towels. Breakfast is served in a large sunny room overlooking a small garden, with good food options.
Overall it was a very nice surprise and would definitely recommend it to friend visiting Bruges.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Inertia79
Manchester UK
Reviewed 13 February 2012

The hotel has a great location within walking distance to all area in the city. The public rooms are lovely but the bedrooms are a bit bland and corporate. The sauna and steam room sections are good additions. Only real issue was front desk staff were never there and hard to locate

• Stayed February 2012
london
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Nice location near the central square. There is a youth hotel in the street, which could cause some noise (people smoking outside), but it didn't bother us. The room is good. Staff is friendly. We used the parking of the hotel, which is small but okay for a normal car (probably difficult to get in you have a van). Breakfast is very good, in a spacious lounge! The best points of the hotel are the beautiful old lobby in which you can enjoy a local beer at night. I't's like being in an old gentleman's club. Very nice. The other great feature is the gym and sauna in the basement. It's the original, ancient wine cellar of the house: very stylish! We had a great time here and will book this hotel again when we come back for another visit if this charming town.

Room Tip: - Try the local beer "Brugse Zot" in the bar. It's delicious. You can also bring it up...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gigantic
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2012

My title says it all really.
Travelling on my own most of the time I don't expect to receive the lovely, spacious rooms usually pictured on hotel websites. I tend to be given tiny, dark box rooms with a single bed instead. But the room I had at the Oud Huis was lovely, bright and spacious with a charming king size bed. The bathroom too was lovely, modern and clean with both a bath and shower.
As I got to Bruges just as the snow came I had to spend much of my evenings at the hotel, so it was quite a relief to have BBC1 (London), BBC2 and ITV available in my room.
The hotel is literally a stone's throw away from the Burg, much closer than I'd thought. It's very easy to get to. If I leaned out of my window a little too dangerously I could see the Belfrey - which at the moment is sadly closed for refurbishment until the end of March. The side-street-style roads around the hotel appear to be cobbled and pedestrianised, but there is a fair bit of traffic on them (and watch out for cyclists!). But, nothing to disturb my sleep. There is also a bar immediately opposite the hotel which on Friday night had a few loud drinkers standing outside it. But again, the noise was just a murmur in my room, and didn't disturb me in the slightest.
There are two spacious, cosy reception areas and a bar with mock Flemish charm available downstairs to use, and the large modern breakfast area is light and airy, looking out at a sweet little courtyard. Apparently there is also a Sauna and therapy area which is free to use (although I couldn't find it anywhere in the main building).
The breakfast was very good, more than the usual continental cheese and cold ham affair you may expect in mainland Europe: self-service scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, sausages and bacon aplenty, cereals, juices, fruit and pastries ... as well as cheese and ham.
On first arriving in Bruges after spending weeks brushing up on my broken French, I was surprised to find out that everyone actually speaks Dutch there and not French at all. But the friendly staff at the hotel are fluent in English (and French, and Dutch, and German) and always greet you with a genuine smile and eagerness to help.
My only negative is the constant piped music played throughout the hotel. The content of the music itself wasn't the problem (just classic background musak) but it was on all the time and when in my room it was like hearing a neighbour's radio murmuring on a few doors away. It is switched off late at night but turned on again at 7.30am. I must note though it didn't wake me up, nor keep me awake but I'd rather it wasn't on at all, or at least at a volume that couldn't penetrate through my hotel room door.
All-in-all a nice, clean, friendly hotel, smack bang in the middle of Bruges where you will be well looked after.

Room Tip: There is more of a skyline view at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo