Hotel du Parc
  • Free Internet
  • Free Internet
Ambassadeur(Ostend)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsnice art deco hotelfilter coffeemin walkcroquetteswould stay here againcasinotelevisionreceptionist
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 September 2015

Short version: incredibly impolite at the reception, they pretended I had no booking and that I was in the wrong hotel as they were sold out. I was almost thrown out of the hotel, and as the whole city was sold out, I spent the night in the streets and took the first train to return back home.
Booking.com does not allow a review in this case, and they were not able to provide me explanations, and also showed lack of interest, and poor commitment to quality and customer care.

Long version: I wanted to spend a weekend in Oostend from August 21st-23rd and booked one week ahead via booking.com a room in the Hotel du Parc. Pictures looked fine, and the reviews were positive. When booking, there were a few rooms remaining. I indicated as an option late check-in (23:00-24:00), as I wanted to travel on Friday after work.

Travel day: After may train had some delay, I tried to call them 6 times between 22:00 and 00:00 to inform them I will arrive slightly later as announced - but no one ever answered the phone.

When arriving at the check-in counter around 00:35, I said I had a booking and the clerk responded with a simple 'No'. I said yes, and showed him the confirmation on my phone. Then he said, oh no, that's not at Hotel du Parc, it's at Parkhotel (which does exist, but which is a tiny hotel in Mariakerke 3km away). I insisted the picture showed the hotel I was in now. And he said, no, I cannot have a reservation, because the hotel was fully booked!? He was not even trying to look up if my booking was part of all the reservations, probably because he knew that all rooms were gone.

In a most unfriendly manner, he almost threw me out and said I should get a taxi and go to the right hotel. After I had been reluctant to do this, he went out with me to the taxi and told the driver to bring me to the supposedly correct hotel, the Parkhotel. He left me with the driver, returned to the hotel and closed the gate. When I showed my reservation to the taxi driver, he confirmed that I WAS at the correct hotel.

Realizing slowly that it was needless to insist as the gate was closed and I could not see anybody at the desk, I decided to call the 24/7 hotline of booking.com. Nobody responded except an answering machine telling me that there was a high demand so that nobody was available to take my call. The only thing that was left to be done was go and look for another hotel. After running around for at least 1 hour, and stepping in at some 10 hotels (at least they were all friendly) I realized that all the hotels in Oostend seemed to be full because of the nice weather that was forecasted. I saw I had no other options then to walk and sit around for another couple of hours, and return with the first train which is at 04:40.

The Hotel du Parc clerk made a couple of unprofessional and inacceptable mistakes:

- ignore the reservation because probably there was a request from another guest asking for a room
- deliberately ignore the phone calls
- deliberately mislead a customer, even inviting him to pay for a taxi with no solution in sight
- lack of assistance to help me out, just focussed on getting rid of me
- never producing a single apology, but trying to give me the impression that I am a fool
- incredibly impolite

Now to the booking.com part: the next day I got somebody on the hotline, he apologized for the mess, and proposed to cancel the reservation in order to avoid any costs. I agreed. But later I was told I could not leave a review, as technically I had never been to the hotel. Since then, for more then 4 weeks, I phoned and mailed them to convince them to get a possibility (which should be technically feasible) to leave a review, but they kept on saying it is impossible, and later even stopped to respond. I told them this was a leak in their system, as it allows the hotels to ignore reservations, and the concerned customers were systematically put to silence. No reaction. And even after 4 weeks I still do not know what happened with my booking. This will have been my last reservation with them.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank cloclolulu2
Reviewed 3 September 2015

We had just booked into our hotel, RAMADA, ( great hotel ) and decided a nice coffee was in order so we went to this very nice looking hotel bar that looked very busy.
All the tables outside were full so we got a table inside and what a wonderful bar this is.
The design is art deco,nice furnishing's, multi roomed, it just look's so cool.
A very pleasant member of staff took our order of a coffee each and after a short wait our coffees arrived, great service as this bar was busy.
The coffee was superb, piping hot, nice and milky and served with a lovely chocolate treat.
The price was superb considering the wonderful bar, €6 ,not to bad.
It's a very easy bar to locate, tram 0 to stop MARIA JOSÉPLEIN drop's you off at the hotel bar.
Opening hour's are;
Monday, closed.
Tuesday to Sunday, open from 8am.
Stylish bar and well worth checking out.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 July 2015

Nothing to write home about in terms of design, stlye and state-of-the-art amenities, and stl. However, the immediate vicinity of several attractions, outstanding restaurants (Go Lobster House!) and the beach, compensates for all minor nuisances. Functional rooms with little to offer for the glamour-seeking traveller. Reasonable breakfast, very helpful and attentive staff. Recommended primarily for its excellent location and its cost-value ratio.

Room Tip: never take a single room even if travelling alone, higher floors are quieter
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 November 2014

If you want to experience Ostend, like it was years ago, go to Hotel du Parc. A fantastic interior, nice small dishes and a nice small hotel. Breakfast is on the first floor with a view on the public space in front of the hotel. No fashion, no high end stuff. Just a nice hotel for a reasonable price. And above all, one of the last spots where you feel something of the grandeur of Ostend in the interbellum.
Oh yes, the croquettes au crevettes are superbe.

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 September 2014 via mobile

We stopped at oostende on a whim and looked for somewhere to stay, we stopped at a lovely looking b&b hotel on the Main Street for only £65 with breakfast but felt, after driving since 3am from Wales in u.k , we wanted somewhere closer to our car park so we didn't have to go back and drag our luggage all the way back down the street. We chose the hotel du parc at €82 b&b. this is marginally overpriced! The room being a budget room was not an issue, the shower and towels have seen much better days (before I was born I'd imagine) and the place was just very pokey. The entrance and lift were the best part of the place. Although oostende is a lively place and really surprised us! The hotel is at a great location but I'm sure there are a load of others that would of been the same price nearby had we carried on our search.

The breakfast was tasty, not much variety but the bread rolls (same as we had everywhere) were very tasty. We loaded them with bacon and cheese and I'm drooling just thinking about them.

I will return to oostende but not to this hotel. If you are looking for a bed for the night like we were then it would be great if it cost €50. I'd like to stay for longer next time so I will be looking for somewhere a little more accommodating and a little more value for money.

• Stayed: September 2014