“Worth a Visit”
Review of Au Vieux Port - CLOSED

Au Vieux Port
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, View
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Het restaurant is NIET gesloten, in tegenstelling tot wat in de titel vermeld wordt.
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We went to Oostende for the day and found our favourite restaurant, “Le Grillon”, closed. Ach! We knew of this place as it is next door to Le Grillon and we always read the menu out of curiosity. It always looked good, but the Grillon had us hooked (a pun for a fish restaurant).

So we gave it a try. Nicely laid out with apparent pride in making a comfortable atmosphere for the guests. Staff were very easy to connect with and always had a smile.

Several menus to choose from. We had the Menu Gourmet for 34.95 Euros. Started with an amuse bouche of three items (pate, sausage and cod in sauce). All very nice, but the cod item was very nice – I could have eaten a plate of that. Thought the little sausage would be a bit overpowering to start off the meal, but it wasn’t. We both had the Noix de St. Jacques sautéed in a pan. Perfectly cooked and slightly “crunchy” on the outside. Came with a garlic tomato chunky sauce on the side. Thought the sauce was too flavourful to eat with the scallops, so only had a taste of that. Second course was a soup. I had the lobster “cappuccino”; my wife had the “petite” fish soup. Both were excellent and the lobster soup was served with elegance as it was “assembled” at the table.

We both has the sole meuniere. Adequate size (they don’t grow them very large in Oostende). Very tasty, but I found mine a bit dry. My wife told me I was crazy and to put lemon on it. She was right. However she thought the frits were average. I through they were homemade thin things and nice. Since she is British she over salts everything, so I told her to put salt on them and eat. She did and then she liked them.

Many choices for dessert. I had the crème brulee; she had the mouse au chocolate. Both homemade and very good.

None of the menus came with wine, so we had to select a bottle. Various prices, but ample number in the upper 20 Euro range and a very nice house cuvee.

In comparing this place to Grillon, it was a tie. Amuse bouche and soup better here, sole better at Grillon. Better selection of starters here. Service wonderful at both. Wider variety of selections here outside of the menu we took.

If you are in Oostende, it is definitely worth a visit, but it’s not very large so be sure to either call ahead or stop by in the morning before they open for business to try and get one of the last tables. Many are turned away who show up during the dinner hour.

It will be a tough choice next time between Grillon and Vieux Port

Reviewed 12 August 2013

The food was great, we had the Gourmet Menu (4 courses), and chose only the fishdishes. We loved every course off it and will return when we visit Ostend next time.

Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

Went to this restaurant as it was recommended by the tourist guide and it met all expectations. Pleasant atmosphere, excellent dishes, very good service, overall a great experience. A special note on the fish soup which was absolutely fantastic.

1  Thank Bogdan F
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Surely it's not that difficult getting everything right in a restaurant and Au Vieux Port shows you perfectly how it's done. Three of us ate there on a Sunday evening recently and it was a delight to eat there. Excellent cooking, perfect timing and happy, efficient staff made for one of those evenings which reminds you how enjoyable dining in a good restaurant can be.

Reviewed 22 May 2013

This is the third time I am going to "Au vieux port", and I have never been disappointed and I am already longing to go back. The restaurant has a classical approach with classic menus which related to the quality of the ingredients presents a perfect price quality ratio, moreover the winecard is also excellent. This restaurant is by no mean a "hype" place but compensate with a "savoir vivre" which has long disappeared in other places. If you want to go in the evening reservation is an abolute must, as when I was there it was always fully booked. Note that they only have one service in the evening, which allows you to relax and enjoy.