“Clams poisoning”

Ranked #10 of 72 Restaurants in Sagres
Price range: US$14 - US$46
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Restaurant Retiro do Pescador is located in the village of Sagres, in a quiet and peaceful place and with a family atmosphere, with capacity for 130 people. With a good menu of fish and seafood always fresh. Accepts group reservations.
Reviewed 11 November 2017 via mobile

Me and my husband went there for lunch. The inner sense told us it’s going to be not a good experience, but we were hungry and decided to give a chance to number one restaurant in Sagres.
In the beginning the waiter spilled a whole glass of water on my husband even before we ordered... it was unpleasant, but the food was much worse!
We took fish soup (was watery with small pasta), clams in garlic oil and grilled fish.
Fish was ok, though potato and cabbage as a side was unexpected.
The clams were super salty and now I know why- they were foul! We felt poising with them in 20 min and now it’s 8 hours we fight for the toilet in our hotel room.
Guys, believe me, you don’t want such experience!

Reviewed 3 November 2017

Empty just before 1300, but filled up somewhat soon after. Ordered mixed fish which was good. Service good, but not a lot of atmosphere.

Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

Easily the best food and service we've enjoyed travelling the length of Portugal from Chaves and Porto to Lisbon and all else in between.

Delicious, perfectly cooked and all the guys deliver it with a smile and good chat.

Real pleasant surprise, Sagres is lovely but avoid the tourist traps - eat here instead!

We had both the barbecued pork and Seabass dishes, both super fresh and tasty local flavours.

Thanks again, the retired fisherman!

Reviewed 12 October 2017

This restaurant is on a back street in Sagres and we did not find it until early this year. The waiters are friendly, talkative and do assist when required. Went on Wednesday 11th October 2017.

Had the melon and ham for the first course. As a general rule, I do not like the ham served in Portugal, but this had a nice taste and it was very pleasant. For the main course I had the spare ribs....excellent, excellent, excellent!!!. My wife had the sword fish and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Go there, you will not be disappointed. Large car park next to the restaurant, so no problems with parking.

Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

I enjoyed my meal here very much! Our 2 servers were very charming and personable. We started with the clams which were simply delicious! I opted for the cuttlefish with beans which was a delicious stew with bits of chorizo and the most tender cuttlefish I've ever had! It was hearty, homey, flavorful and satisfying. I had 2 glasses of vinho verde which was the perfect complement. Hubby had the grilled calamari which was not as tender has he'd hoped but it had a nice char on the whole bodies. It came with potatoes and a small mixed salad. Dessert was a delicious light cream pie with a dusting of cookie crumbles on top--yummy. Overall, a very satisfying meal.