Quinta da Abelheira(Ponta Delgada)
US$168
US$170
US$164
Hotel Talisman(Ponta Delgada)
US$142
US$123
  • Breakfast included
Sao Miguel Park Hotel(Ponta Delgada)
US$173
US$156
Travelocity
US$153
US$111
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Marina Atlantico(Ponta Delgada)
US$186
US$180
  • Breakfast included
Vila Nova Hotel(Ponta Delgada)
US$309
US$137
HotelsClick
  • Pool
Azor Hotel(Ponta Delgada)
US$688
US$605
Priceline
Marina Lounge Hostel(Ponta Delgada)
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsdirect access to the beachhamsgreat balconysun loungersfantastic hotelocean viewfree parkingbreadmicrowavecomfortcheesemiguel
Reviewed 14 May 2017

Large, spacious, simply furnished no frills type of room with tiled floor and doors opening up onto a lovely terrace with table and chairs and sunloungers...right on the black sand beach....the sounds of the sea crashing (or lapping depending on the weather) on the shore. It's a lovely hotel, the Barracuda, with friendly staff and a homely bed and breakfast type feel to it (breakfasts are not a strong point, but they are simple and do the job). The rooms have little kitchens too with microwaves etc, so perfect if you're on a budget and need to eat in. Parking is right in front of the hotel, or just next to it, where there is a spacious car park. The area is popular with locals who come to relax on the sands, or surf, which can lend the place a fun atmosphere. There are some nice cafes and restaurants sprinkled just across the road from the hotel, and just down the beach. It's well-priced - with a very good location. You can walk to Ponta Delgada in around 30 minutes, taking a lovely coastal path. At night, chilling out in the room with a cup of tea and listening to the breathing of the ocean, we knew we'd found the right place to spend a few days. I'd certainly recommend 2 or 3 nights.

Room Tip: All face the ocean, so no one is better than the other!
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 February 2017

This was a great spot for exactly what we needed. We liked having our own kitchen area. We enjoyed the sounds of the waves all night. Great balcony overlooking the beach. The beds were a little firm but totally fine. The location was excellent with a couple restaurants right across the street with amazing coffee which comes in handy because it is a little sad at the hotel. Breakfast was limited but fine. We would definitely stay again. I would recommend bringing your own coffee set up if that is important to you.

Room Tip: I think all rooms are on the beach and we loved that.
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2016

We stayed at the Barracuda in July. I can well recommend it, even though it has reached the stage where a small refit is on the cards. It has 21 rooms on 3 floors with the middle floor being ground level out onto the road. It is not fancy like some big hotels, but it makes up for this with homely comfort. The rooms are spacious enough with the main room divided by curtains to provide a bedroom for 2 with a lounge with a sofa bed for one more. It has a small separate kitchen with reasonable cupboards and work surface as well as a small microwave and a rather elderly 2 ring electric hob appliance. The appliances could be of a better and newer quality, but served our purpose as all we wanted was drinks. Continental breakfast was served in a pleasant room downstairs overlooking the beach of Praia De Malicias, and this beach was accessible directly from the hotel back steps. The staff are all dressed in whites (apart from the reception) and everything seems to be spotlessly clean. Cleaning is something they never seem to stop doing. When I wanted a hire car the reception was more than helpful, and negotiated a lower price for me than initally quoted as they knew the company. When I said I would photogragh the car on receipt and return they told me to make sure the company rep saw this to avoid the problems that a lot of people have been having on mainland Europe with big hire companies plundering customers credit cards for ficticious damage. The reception guy understood and was that extra bit helpful. Jim and Sandy Williamson

Room Tip: All the rooms face onto the beach, you can leave the balcony door open and go to sleep to the sound of the waves breaking onto the shore.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sandy366
Reviewed 12 July 2016 via mobile

This hotel was genuinely brilliant, more so when the price is considered.

The location was wonderful, within easy (taxi/driving) reach of both Vila Franca Do Campo which is a real hidden gem and Portas Do Mar.

The hotel was Lovely. The views were amazing and it was so clean. Like really...how they keep a hotel so close to the beach sand free blew my mind. The room was plenty big enough for the three of us and the kitchenette came in handy. A free safe in wardrobe was great, although I didn't lock it once! The cleaning staff were attentive and thorough.

The staff were brilliant. They took the time to talk to the family and one in particular paid attention to breakfast. On the first morning, I noticed there were kiwis in the fruit salad. I explained (using mostly hand gestures and hands round my throat) that I'm dreadfully allergic to kiwi, could I have fruit without it please. Every single morning after that, she brought me out fruit without having to ask.

Overall, as a family of three, we had an absolutely perfect stay and seriously considered staying an extra week. Work scuppered that plan!

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Kelly-Louise P
Reviewed 25 March 2016

We stayed for a week during Feb 2016 to enjoy a walking holiday. We read previous reviews and decided as we would be out during the day the hotel was good enough for our needs and were not disappointed. The uninterrupted sea view is spectacular and I'd guess you would struggle to find better. There is direct access to the beach from the reception area and you can also get good beach towels from Reception at no charge.
Wi-Fi is available in Reception and there is a computer (which I think) you can use free in the TV/seating area on top floor. All staff are friendly but unobtrusive and if you don't speak Portuguese all reception staff speak English. There is a small amount of tourist info available in English. We had a hire car but there seemed to be a bus service but no idea of frequency.
Others have commented on dark corridors but there are timer switches on the walls. Lighting could be an issue in corridors and rooms if you have a visual impairment or need bright lighting. Similarly, if you struggle with stairs there is no lift and there are about 30 steps down to breakfast and to the beach.
Hotel has 20+ rooms with about 6 occupied during our stay so it was lovely and peaceful. There was no heating or cooling system available but there was an oil filled radiator in the room. Day time temps were 13-17 degrees during our stay and we needed no heating but did put an extra blanket (plenty available) on bed.
Rooms are spacious and had everything we needed. One aspect I particularly liked was the 2 doors between the corridor and bedroom providing good sound insulation from other guests movements in the corridor. We could use Wi-Fi in our room but it was sometimes intermittent.
Bathroom was clean, no mouldy spots but some rust on metal work. Water pressure and temp good in over bath shower. Towels changed daily. Good hairdryer.
Bed not the best but OK. Plenty of storage/hanging space but some of the drawers stuck. There is a safe in the wardrobe which at first appeared broken but it functioned perfectly and we were comfortable that our valuables were secure. Small TV in bedroom area but could easily be turned towards seating area. Only turned it on a couple of times but there were several English speaking channels available. You can separate bedroom area from seating area by floor length curtains if you chose.
Seating area has a chair and a double bed settee, plus a small dinning table and chairs. Good quiet fridge is next to kitchen. Bedroom and seating area is lit by 4 side lamps with no overhead lighting so a little dim but did not bother us. Guess you could consider removing the shades if you wanted something brighter. Yes you do actually have to unplug one to turn it off but it's no hardship.
Kitchen has adequate cutlery, crockery and pans. There is a good microwave and a 2 ring hotplate (rusty but functional). There is no kettle but easy to boil water for hot drinks in a saucepan.
Balcony is covered and south facing and has table, chairs and 2 sun loungers.
Breakfast is continental buffet style, self service. Limited choice but perfectly adequate to fuel a day walking:
Cereals, tea, coffee, juice, selection of rolls and bread, cheese, hams, hard boiled eggs, spreads and jams, yoghurts, selection of cakes and biscuits. I found the tea pretty awful but everything else was fine.
Overall, yes this hotel might be a bit scruffy around the edges but it's clean, functional and excellent value for money. If you can live without luxury touches for a week I highly recommend it. I hope you find these comments useful - typing this certainly whiled away some time for me on flight home!
Would I stay here again? DEFFINITELY!

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple