“More than just a Restaurant-experience”
Review of Sr. Fado de Alfama

Sr. Fado de Alfama
Ranked #119 of 5,024 Restaurants in Lisbon
Price range: US$47 - US$67
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Castelo, Alfama & Mouraria
Description: On off the least pretentious of Lisbon's Fado restaurants is also one of its finest. Hosts Duarte Santos and Ana Marina treat guests as family and the homely ambiance is warming and inviting. The homemade gastronomy is noted for its textures and flavours and generous portions, with the seafood cataplana (stew) a much-lauded feast. The menu is limited, but here it's all about the quality of the food. As for the entertainment, this is local fado at its most authentic -- the singers and musicians have known each other for years, and the performance is heartfelt and genuine. Quite often, diners are invited to join in which makes the evening truly memorable.
Reviewed 29 June 2018 via mobile

Sr.Fado is way more than just an eatary. Maybe someone would say it is Not Even a restaurant... in reality and in Every sense Sr. Fado is an experience you should‘nt miss.
First to say is: the Special Treatment Starts with the reservation. How they answer give you a Hint of their special thinking... we loved it right away!!!
As we arrived the heartfelt Show started and Never lost that Special feeling.
Culinary started with Portuguese starters like Bread (homebaked and awesome), olives, cheeses, and homemade Pumpkinjam, Chorizo...
Water and as we ordered Homemade white Sangria.

2nd: Seafood dish (you May like the meatchoice better and it looked fantastic)
Taste, consistancy, Variety, Herbs, temperature.... all in all close to perfection.
Desert: Fresh steawberrys and a small Peace of cake... well done
But as i Said before: it is way more than the ordinary guest experience.
I really can say... they dont give a damn about critics and the regular „iamsoimportantcauseibringmoney“-guests. They really want you to have a good evening and dishes that Come from heart. And they are ambassadores (wow, and professional) of „Fado“-Music. Kind of
Portuguese-Folkmusic.
Every bit of their heart Will Be thrown on your table... in food, or with their Music...
And dont be stupid and go in the Music-Break. Order more Wine/Sangria/Ginjinja/Beer/.......... and watch the show Till the end. Talk to the lovely-Family that invites around 30 people Every day. (And dont expand their guestroom like the touristtraps in some places...).
The lovely and beautiful Mother (and Chef), Father with a lot of interesting Storys (and waiter), daughter careing and funny (also waitress)... all 3 together is a Kind of trio i can‘t explain.... it‘s just original, authentic and heartwarming.
Qw hx

Stay well!!! And, we will come back.

3  Thank Michael S
Write a ReviewReviews (1,154)

Reviewed 23 June 2018 via mobile

It's like coming to someone's home. Food was outstanding, wine was delicious and the music was magic. Marina and her family take care of you like you were old friends! And the music...well I have no words. We will definitely come back! Thank you for amazing evening :)

1  Thank Norbert P
Reviewed 6 June 2018

Warm and friendly and great experience. We had a blast in this very comfortable restaurant. You sit close to others and get to know them over the course of the evening. We enjoyed the meal and the Fado sung by all the people who cooked and served the meal. Fun and great night out.

1  Thank VickieW1694
Reviewed 1 June 2018

This place requires reservation and was really a wonderful way to spend our first night (after traveling for 26 hours) by making us stay awake.

For dinner we selected their seafood option and it was full of wonderful items. We weren't very excited about the GREEN WINE. Both red and white was very 'pithy', but after the first few sips, you're fine.

The singing was wonderful. Mother, Father (guitar player/singer) and Daughter (who was on Portugal's Got Talent). Mother & Daughter sang individually as well as together. The daughter was so good, we found out where she was singing the next night and went to hear her sing -- incredible voice.

2  Thank PALTravel
Reviewed 30 May 2018 via mobile

Thanks to the Santo family, we had a wonderful night!! Food was awesome, their seafood cataplana by far is the best I had in Portugal! Fado performance by the entire family was fantastic and talented! Of note, the family was nice and friendly who made the “special” arrangement for me as I originally #1 on their waiting list but since I was out of WiFi and not able to confirm on time after someone cancelled their reservation, they gave out my seats. However, after Ana and her husband found out I was determined to dine at their place during my short stay in Lisbon, the husband pulled out a small table all the way from downhill and made me be seated at their performance spot!! Of course, I have to move before their Fado performance but I already felt so touch with their accommodation! Again, I had a wonderful meal and Fado experience which thanks to the Santos family