Pensao Residencial Mirasol
US$229
US$233
US$112
Savings alert! 14% below average rates

The price you found is 14% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$130/night.

Hotel The Cliff Bay(Funchal)
US$258
US$242
US$158
US$146
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$167/night.

US$89
US$83
Savings alert! 15% below average rates

The price you found is 15% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$98/night.

US$265
US$242
US$227
US$216
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$242/night.

US$170
US$133
Savings alert! 15% below average rates

The price you found is 15% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$156/night.

US$67
US$65
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$75/night.

US$577
US$372
All reviewshelpful familybus stationnice place to staycable carold townyogurtsmall balconyhortapensionmadeiracarnivalponchaseabathmonte
Reviewed 24 October 2016

We stayed here for two nights. Everything appeared ok, however it all turned very sour if there is anything wrong, they really cannot handle it and the fake smiles go out the door and the real nasty rude, lying unprofessional behaviour appears.

I have stayed in a number of hotels,I travel a few times a years, things go wrong, management try to fix them, and it’s what working in the hotel industry is about, wear and tear, things break, not at this hotel with this awful Horta junior.

The shower did not work for TWO DAYS running. It's one of the basics, you want a clean room, a comfortable bed and to be able to wash. So the first thing they could have said, ok, we will move you, problem solved, than investigate the problem once I had moved. Instead junior Horta acted in an awful manner.

On the first day I tried to have a shower, the water started, but within 3 minutes, the shower was a dribble, it was impossible. Luckily I was staying with people and I had to go and shower in my mothers room and go through a communal hallway in my towel. This left me so delayed in getting ready. When I told Horta Senior from the hotel, he went up to the room. I assumed something had been done, as I was having breakfast when he told me it was fixed.
Day 2, repeat, showed Horta Snr the shower, he said 'ahh no pressure, wait ten minutes'. I said no I need another room, this is the second day, ten minutes didn't fix this yesterday, it's not going to fix this today. He said they were “fully booked”, ” wait ten minutes' and practically ran off without any reasonable solution. Pathetic. It seemed he was going to do nothing, ignore it and hoped we went away.
They did not listen, they didn't care that we couldn't have a shower, it was just like we were lying, there could be nothing wrong, they won't look at it properly, they won't entertain anything is wrong with their system, it was absolute madness.

I had a shower in my mums room went down to speak to anyone in reception. Junior Horta. I asked had he spoken to his dad, as there was no functioning shower, they were ‘fully booked’ we would like for them to refund our last night and we would go elsewhere. That was it, his back went up, I cannot stay here when I cannot shower. His response was to argue with me:
“if this was the case, why didn’t you say so yesterday” I did?!? I cannot help it if they do communicate with each other
“the shower pressure in that room is the best in the hotel” irrelevant really it may have been but it’s not now
“I’m too busy go back to your room and wait” for what? You have told me it’s fully booked.
Senior Horta than turned up and showed me an empty room (fully booked?) He showed me a working shower, I said, ok, we can move here? No we could SHOWER there are run through reception up the stairs etc back to our room. Ridiculous. I returned to reception.
This went on for some time with this awful man trying to bully me and make it all disappear. No apology, NO offer to move us to another room and investigate the fault, he just wanted to bicker like a teenager. I'm on holiday, I also have things to do, my grandfather had just died (oh yes this awful man knew this aswell) I had to either move out and pack my stuff or offer anything else? I had an appointment at 10.30. He refused to talk to me, told me he was 'too busy' and I should go up to my room and wait. I said I wanted a decision on what was happening? I have no doubt that had I been a man, I would have been treated very differently, I cannot imagine him telling a man ‘I’m too busy, go back to your room and wait’ in the tone he did.

They had no solution whatsoever.

He finally came up to the room to see the shower, it came on, ran as it does fine for a few minutes, he didn't wait more than ten seconds to see the trickling start, his response 'I could shower in that' my partner tried to explain that after a few minutes it stops, to wait, but junior Horta wasn't interested.

We were so insulted by their behaviour; I cannot describe on this review how awful this man’s behaviour was.

As I carried my suitcase down the stairs, suddenly they were no longer fully booked, I was offered the empty room at the bottom of the stairs where I previously had been only offered the use of the shower or a room opposite my sisters would become available after 12, all something I would have agreed to had he offered this first rather than being so so rude. At this point I was so insulted there was no chance I was staying another night, my partner is the easiest going person i know and even he couldn’t believe how Junior Horta behaved and wouldn’t even listen, that senios Horta had run away when we had first shown him it first thing.
Don't bother staying here, for 30 euros Hotel Apartamentos Reno (google it) up the road will offer you a room, a kitchen and living room area, and when things go wrong, they just fix it! They are my go to in Madeira for the last ten years and always will be. I called them and they had a room available.

After we left, my mother told me they actually looked at it and were getting a plumber in?!? So we weren’t lying.
I still cannot understand why they were he was so adamant we were lying and wanted to argue rather than listening to us, actually investigating or offering another room?!
Absolute madness, I will never understand their response to a simple shower isn’t working issue?!?

Never again

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 October 2016

This family-ruled pension is really 5 min walk from Monte cablecar and maybe just some minutes more from Mercado dos Lavradores. It features small rooms, without A/C, but you won't miss it. The family is really kind and helping. Maybe they only should improve the breakfast choise.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 September 2016

There were some bumps when I first arrived - I did not want to be out in the second location because my phone was unable to pick up any wifi signal, but the manager was willing to work with me (even though I was probably a bit rude after traveling for so long - sorry!), and I was placed in a beautiful room with beautiful views in the main building. If they do try to put you in the secondary building, the rooms are lovely, but make sure your devices can pick up the wifi before you settle in.

The manager and the rest of the staff was friendly, and I loved breakfast. It was served to you, which is a nice change from having to collect everything from a buffet. You were offered orange juice, tea/coffee, roll or toast, cheese and ham or eggs, and a yogurt - with plenty of jam and butter.

However, it is the incredibly reasonable price and location that makes this place the best place to stay in Funchal. I took a bus out to a neighboring town, and I got to see the high end, waterfront hotels, and they just were not in a great location and lacked the charm of staying in the old town part. I could walk everywhere I wanted to go from this hotel, and amazing restaurants were steps away. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank Jennifer G
Reviewed 30 July 2016 via mobile

There isn't much to say that other reviews haven't covered but we enjoyed our short stay here for 3 days at the end of July. We used Booking.com and booked the day we needed to stay and found the hosts very accommodating when we arrived a couple of hours after making the booking. We stayed in room 24 on the top floor with a lovely balcony that offered a wonderful view of Funchal. We had a double bed and a single bed so this room may have been slightly bigger than other double rooms and we were grateful of the extra space as it was very warm. We found that the hotel didn't hold heat as much as other buildings so even though there were no fans or air conditioning we managed to sleep well. The hosts are a very kind and helpful family who clearly enjoy meeting and helping their guests and we were especially impressed at how many languages they all spoke! For the price it's difficult to complain about anything here, the breakfast was a bit limited but for 3 nights we were satisfied. We also saw the hosts accommodating guests breakfast requests as much as they could and were always willing to give you extra and make sure you had eaten enough. The icing on the cake was one of the hosts kindly offering to drive us to the airport for a lesser charge than the taxis cost which was a nice end to our stay. For a personal experience for an amazing price if you're not too fussy then I thoroughly recommend staying here

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Teixeira0709
Reviewed 12 July 2016

For the first time, I stayed in this pension in June 2014. Since that time, I have been going there regularly each year, either alone or with my friends. Everytime I find a lot of heartiness, warmth as well as kindness provided by the Horta family. They are very nice and helpful people. Everytime I have a clean room equipped with a bath, shower and toilet as well as a balcony with a fantastic view. I like breakfasts there, too, I am really never disappointed. I would like to visit this pension in the near future again.

Room Tip: I think each room in this pension is very nice.All house is quiet, there is absolutely no noise.
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends