US$209
US$223
getaroom.com
Travelocity
  • Pool
All reviewshelpful familybus stationnice place to staycable carold townyogurtsmall balconyhortapensionmadeiracarnivalponchaseabathmonte
Reviewed 12 June 2017

Pensao Mirasol - family guided pension with breakfast. Rooms not huge but enough to rest and sleep. Breakfast is simple and repeats, but it is correspondent to the price. If you look for high standard, try another place, but if you need a place to rest, wash up and sleep it is a good choice. Nearby Old Town, city center and marina. The bus stops also very near to pension. Very hospitable and helpful family which owes the pension. They are always willing to help, to inform, to advice. And Senhor Umberto really polyglot :)

Room Tip: Best view - rooms 23 -25
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 March 2017

This was our first visit to Madeira February/March 2017. we had arranged to be picked up from the airport and arrived just in time for the Carnival - what a wonderful welcome!

We stayed at Mirasol for a week and found it to be good value for money. Our room was just across the road- it was spacious, spotlessly clean, bed comfy and plenty of hot water anytime of day. ( and free wifi)

Breakfast was generous and set you up for the day- yogurt /eggs/ cheese/ ham /toast/ portuguese rolls and tea or coffee- all served to you by welcoming the Horta family and staff . We usually bought some fruit for lunch and ate out at one of the numerous restaurant that are all in close walking distance.

We took the opportunity to go on a couple of the island tours that Umberto Horta offers- he was most informative and went out of his way to be helpful. During our week we saw parts of the eastern, central and western Madeira. We took the cable car up to Monte, and another one over to the Botanical Gardens and then back again for a hair raising 2 km toboggan ride hurtling down some very steep roads!

It was my husband's birthday during the week and we came back from a day out to find a Madeiran cake, stralitzea flowers and 2 huge anonas! Well, the cake was eaten and we managed to take the fruit and flowers home.

Next time we visit we Madeira we would definitely return to The Mirasol and plan to include a trip over to Porto Santo Island for a couple of nights and do some more levada walks and sips of poncha!

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 62deborahy
Reviewed 10 November 2016

Ill stick to basics as this hotel is very basic.
No facilities in room eg : kettle or fridge. how do i keep a bottle drink or beer cool?
Bed very very hard, shower impossible to get correct temp.
Very noisy as next to main thoroughfare. traffic noise all night kept me awake and dogs barking a pain.
virtually impossible to get wifi anywhere in hotel although they advertise it ?
Owner kept calling me Mr Lee, sorry this is not my name. quite rude.
Had to hand key in when leaving hotel, very inconveneint and strange.
Not a hotel I would recommend to my family or friends.
The owner needs to get with the modern world and go see what other hotels offer as a basic package to make a stay comfortable and enjoyable.

Room Tip: Highest rooms are quieter but plenty other hotels locally better
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Vinny C
Reviewed 24 October 2016

We stayed here for two nights. Everything appeared ok, however it all turned very sour if there is anything wrong, they really cannot handle it and the fake smiles go out the door and the real nasty rude, lying unprofessional behaviour appears.

I have stayed in a number of hotels,I travel a few times a years, things go wrong, management try to fix them, and it’s what working in the hotel industry is about, wear and tear, things break, not at this hotel with this awful Horta junior.

The shower did not work for TWO DAYS running. It's one of the basics, you want a clean room, a comfortable bed and to be able to wash. So the first thing they could have said, ok, we will move you, problem solved, than investigate the problem once I had moved. Instead junior Horta acted in an awful manner.

On the first day I tried to have a shower, the water started, but within 3 minutes, the shower was a dribble, it was impossible. Luckily I was staying with people and I had to go and shower in my mothers room and go through a communal hallway in my towel. This left me so delayed in getting ready. When I told Horta Senior from the hotel, he went up to the room. I assumed something had been done, as I was having breakfast when he told me it was fixed.
Day 2, repeat, showed Horta Snr the shower, he said 'ahh no pressure, wait ten minutes'. I said no I need another room, this is the second day, ten minutes didn't fix this yesterday, it's not going to fix this today. He said they were “fully booked”, ” wait ten minutes' and practically ran off without any reasonable solution. Pathetic. It seemed he was going to do nothing, ignore it and hoped we went away.
They did not listen, they didn't care that we couldn't have a shower, it was just like we were lying, there could be nothing wrong, they won't look at it properly, they won't entertain anything is wrong with their system, it was absolute madness.

I had a shower in my mums room went down to speak to anyone in reception. Junior Horta. I asked had he spoken to his dad, as there was no functioning shower, they were ‘fully booked’ we would like for them to refund our last night and we would go elsewhere. That was it, his back went up, I cannot stay here when I cannot shower. His response was to argue with me:
“if this was the case, why didn’t you say so yesterday” I did?!? I cannot help it if they do communicate with each other
“the shower pressure in that room is the best in the hotel” irrelevant really it may have been but it’s not now
“I’m too busy go back to your room and wait” for what? You have told me it’s fully booked.
Senior Horta than turned up and showed me an empty room (fully booked?) He showed me a working shower, I said, ok, we can move here? No we could SHOWER there are run through reception up the stairs etc back to our room. Ridiculous. I returned to reception.
This went on for some time with this awful man trying to bully me and make it all disappear. No apology, NO offer to move us to another room and investigate the fault, he just wanted to bicker like a teenager. I'm on holiday, I also have things to do, my grandfather had just died (oh yes this awful man knew this aswell) I had to either move out and pack my stuff or offer anything else? I had an appointment at 10.30. He refused to talk to me, told me he was 'too busy' and I should go up to my room and wait. I said I wanted a decision on what was happening? I have no doubt that had I been a man, I would have been treated very differently, I cannot imagine him telling a man ‘I’m too busy, go back to your room and wait’ in the tone he did.

They had no solution whatsoever.

He finally came up to the room to see the shower, it came on, ran as it does fine for a few minutes, he didn't wait more than ten seconds to see the trickling start, his response 'I could shower in that' my partner tried to explain that after a few minutes it stops, to wait, but junior Horta wasn't interested.

We were so insulted by their behaviour; I cannot describe on this review how awful this man’s behaviour was.

As I carried my suitcase down the stairs, suddenly they were no longer fully booked, I was offered the empty room at the bottom of the stairs where I previously had been only offered the use of the shower or a room opposite my sisters would become available after 12, all something I would have agreed to had he offered this first rather than being so so rude. At this point I was so insulted there was no chance I was staying another night, my partner is the easiest going person i know and even he couldn’t believe how Junior Horta behaved and wouldn’t even listen, that senios Horta had run away when we had first shown him it first thing.
Don't bother staying here, for 30 euros Hotel Apartamentos Reno (google it) up the road will offer you a room, a kitchen and living room area, and when things go wrong, they just fix it! They are my go to in Madeira for the last ten years and always will be. I called them and they had a room available.

After we left, my mother told me they actually looked at it and were getting a plumber in?!? So we weren’t lying.
I still cannot understand why they were he was so adamant we were lying and wanted to argue rather than listening to us, actually investigating or offering another room?!
Absolute madness, I will never understand their response to a simple shower isn’t working issue?!?

Never again

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 October 2016

This family-ruled pension is really 5 min walk from Monte cablecar and maybe just some minutes more from Mercado dos Lavradores. It features small rooms, without A/C, but you won't miss it. The family is really kind and helping. Maybe they only should improve the breakfast choise.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family