“Veins 😬”

Restaurante O Velhinho
Ranked #409 of 777 Restaurants in Funchal
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Somos um restaurante que mantem a tradicao na confeccao das nossas refeicoes com pessoal atencioso e educado.O rigor mantem-nos desde 1981 tornando-nos um dos restaurantes mais antigos da zona velha da cidade.Pequeno no tamanho mas grande na qualidade.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

One of many to chooae in Old Tewn. Everything great. Fish, salades, frites, drinks delicious. The pork was made also best way, but the quality of the meat wasn't top. It has just too many veins. If you don't have problem with that, there is nothing stoping you to eat there.

Date of visit: May 2021
Write a reviewReviews (269)

Reviewed 21 October 2020 via mobile

I really don’t know why this restaurant has so bad reviews.
The food is good and the waiters are also friendly. Compared with other restaurants in this street,it is the same quality or even better!
I had seafood and it was a large portion with sooooo much seafood while my husband had fish with passionfriut and it was absolutly good - also the sidedishes were really tasty and fresh.
The waiters are friendly and not as intrusive as others, which might seem unfriendly to some other guests.
I would recommend this place if you search for a restaurant with good food.

Date of visit: October 2020
Reviewed 18 August 2019

On Rua Santa Maria there are many restaurants. There were 2 of us and We were pulled in here by the offer that this was the anniversary of the restaurant and there would be discount. The deal of the day was 10 euro but we each chose the 16.99 "tiger prawns" Note that this was written in the plural both in English and Portuguese. food was fine.The bill was served with a smile- "89 euro with the discount" WHAT? The price of a 5 star restaurant? When I questioned (we both speak Portuguese) He said it was 16.99 per prawn and we each had 2 prawns. We argued back and forth and he said that I didn't ask how many prawns came on a plate. The other waiter shrugged "I don't know what he worked out with you" I started yelling and making a scene- totally unlike me but I couldn't believe he was trying to rob me like this just because we were 2 young women. The other waiter hurried over-apologized for this scheme by his friend (he admitted he was trying to cheat us) and brought a new bill of 25 euros "as long as I don't go on tripadvisor" I'm on tripadvisor and I should have gone to the police. This kind of behavior could ruin tourism on Madeira. Shame on you!

Date of visit: July 2019
1  Thank linettra
Reviewed 7 June 2019

Looking for lunch in Funchal, there were many restaurants vying for your custom. We chose O Velhinho based on the menu outside. Service was slow even though it wasn't very busy. I had shrimp linguini which was OK but a bit too much pasta. My wife had Pasta carbonara which had chewy inedible ham and she left most of it.

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed 6 June 2019

A regular restaurant,the food was nothing special...not a place where i would return...despite that the staff was kind...

Date of visit: February 2019