Chose hotel from Tripadvisor - having previously stayed at Glitzy Pestana Grand. This hotel did not disappoint. Booked via Travel Republic - who sorted flights and transport too and were a pleasure to deal with, however the company they booked the rooms through did not pass muster as we arrived to have not 5 rooms but 2. QSJ wriggled a bit but eventually provided us with all five rooms on the same floor and handled it all very professionally.
Large double rooms, superb beds, excellent lighting, tastefully furnished, comfy sofas, nice bathrooms , lush robes- thin towels(?). Inside pool and seating area very nice, clean and warm. Spa excellent. The only draw back was the foul weather! 2009 offered warm sunshine and a Mediterranean climate, but this year it was very cold, rainy, and often foggy. Will definitely come in Oct or early Nov no later.
The Island is pretty, with lovely gardens, captivating scenery and pretty reasonable roads. Funchal is compact and easy to get around. People are friendly and plenty of great restaurants. Favourites are O Jango for Cataplana and Tapassol for ambiance, fish and great service. Had fun at Real Canoa - buzzing, but one of our party was violently sick all night afterwards. Also, they got 2 of our main courses wrong but reduced our bill by 50% and were deeply apologetic.(It was just embarrassing!)
QSJ- easy place to relax and unwind. Bar staff were superb and the cocktail happy hour 6.30 to 7.30 is worth enjoying the 2 for 1's. (Don't think I ever got the times right..hic!) Generally lovely staff and I look forward to paying a return visit on another occasion.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built within the grounds of an historic "Quinta" of Funchal, Quintinha de Sao Joao resurrects perfectly the magic of the old Madeiran residences. There are 42 spacious rooms in total, all equipped with the most up-to-date facilities with splendid views over the gardens. Bar, restaurant, heated outdoor and indoor swimming pools and full Spa are included facilities. The careful attention to detail and the excellent personal service brings to life our motto "Home from Home." ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Quintinha Sao Joao reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Quintinha Sao Joao Funchal, Madeira
- Quintinha Sao Joao Hotel Funchal