“American Deli in Israel”
Review of Sara's Place

Sara's Place
Ranked #13 of 83 Restaurants in Ra'anana
Reviewed 26 August 2017

Very small restaurant so, reservations a must, but definitely worth the visit. The food was super delicious. Just what we were looking for to celebrate a family birthday. The portions were quite generous. Not like the Carnegie Deli in NYC, but I could still only eat half my combo sandwich. Sides were really delicious too; coleslaw, fries, sweet potato fries, etc. They do have potato knishes on the menu, but they were unavailable that evening. Service was prompt and friendly, but due to the size of the restaurant, you really can't linger after dinner for very long.

Reviewed 19 July 2017 via mobile

Great burgers, Jacks for the really hungry and ambitious meat eaters, queens burger great too and also good salad and vegan options. Enjoy, dig in and have one of the best kosher burgers around

Reviewed 10 July 2017 via mobile

Without a doubt excellent food but all I could think of throughout my whole stay is why do they have one lame air-conditioning unit. I perspired the whole time. Queries to the staff were met with lame excuses. I won't be coming back in summer despite the excellent food. The place is quite small so you might want to make a reservation of you decide to visit.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 25 June 2017 via mobile

Fantastic burger and there usual great roast beef sandwich. Highly recommend to anyone who is hungry and fussy.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 June 2017

We've been going to Sara's Place ever since it was called Savtush. The menu is more diverse now, but every time we go we end up ordering the pastrami because that is the best kosher sandwich anywhere since a couple of other places closed down. (Remember Smoky's in Azrieli Center?)

Here are just a few opportunities for improvement. (That's what the Quality Assurance folks call defects.)

The service seems very average. The staff seem to enjoy each other's company and that of friends who drop in frequently, but the rest of us are just bodies that fill seats and make reasonable and unreasonable requests for salt and ketchup and the like.

There is no guessing how long it might take for your order to arrive, even in comparison with other customers' who might have ordered later. Fortunately we only go there when we are not in a rush.

I have an aversion to mustard and always ask for nothing to be spread on the bread. Nevertheless once I got mustard and it was a big deal to get them to change that. In fact, the last time we were there I explained very carefully that I wanted nothing on, nothing on, nothing on the bread (to paraphrase Ogden Nash), and I could solemnly declare there was a bit of mustard flavor in the pastrami, but that's probably just a psychological disorder.

One more picky issue - at Savtush we used to get potato salad AND cole slaw and free refills for the asking, but now it's potato salad OR cole slaw and you wouldn't dare ask for more. (Maybe that's why Savtush disappeared.)

By the way, the rye bread is almost as great as the pastrami, but it seems to be getting a bit thinner lately.

But don't be turned off by these comments; by all means, go to Sara's Place and enjoy the pastrami or whatever else suits your fancy.