“Best few hours out for a while”

Hellenic Motor Museum
Ranked #26 of 339 things to do in Athens
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 4 October 2017

I decided to take some time away from the countless archology so being a big car fan I visited the car museum at 8 Euro I thought it was a little pricey compared to. The new archology museum at only 5 Euro , well I really enjoyed the cars it was a great visit , and lovely cars hower the lady told me that there is 110 cars on display but they have stored away in the building approx 200 more such a shame the building wasn’t able to display them , as I got the idea before when I research the collection that there was300 plus cars on display , I found the visiting opening times a bit strange at 10am till 2 pm I walked there from monistrati and enjoyed the walk however on leaving the museam after buying a book the lady told me , don’t walk back to monistrati asthenosphere areais really bad for mugging , robberies ? And advised I take the metro , I thought this advice was lovely , however asi wanted somthing toeat that I’d seen on my walk there I didn’t take the advice a walked back , a got my falafel wrap , but I must advice you all reading to take note of this warning just in case

All reviews
"admission fee"
"worth a visit"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 28 September 2017

Stumbled upon this museum completely by accident on our way to the National Archeological Museum and what a happy accident it turned out to be. My hubby is a car enthusiast to say the least so I thought I would entertain him by wandering around a motor museum for a couple hours.. turns out I loved it too. The layout was soo cool and all of the fine details really set the atmosphere. Great way to spend that afternoon

Reviewed 19 September 2017

This excellent car museum is based on the collection of Theodore Charagionis and he even designed building that houses the collection. Very close to the National Archeological Museum in Athens, the three floors show off a very wide variety of cars from international manufacturers dating from the historic to modern and now maintained in immaculate condition. It is an impressive collection with some very rare marques as well as those very expensive models of years gone by.
Also of great interest is the vast collection of tools and machinery assembled to represent a motoring garage of the 1930's but I did feel the lighting could have been improved.
All-in-all I thought the museum a great asset to Athens and deserves many more visitors than were present during my time there. I wish I could have spent longer there.

Reviewed 16 September 2017

Amazing cars modern museum easy to find from the hop on hop off bus route well worth the visit. Museum is new and easy to walk around.

See more reviews
Reviewed 8 September 2017 via mobile

This stop was part of our overall visit to Athens, right after the national archeological. It is just a 2 minute walk from there.

Upon walking up from the ground floor (forget the elevator, walking up is worth it here) there is a display of the history of wheels against the wall as you approach the entrance. Very nice intro to what you will see.

Then you get to the third floor entrance, where you buy your ticket and head to the top floor (5th) where the walk starts.

You start with the oldest cars first and make your way down to more modern cars. Finally you end with Italian performance cars. The owner clearly has a love for Italian sports cars, but the collection is balanced with cars from all over the world. Not too many German cars on display, but plenty of others.

The way the cars are displayed is very nice, low ropes around them to not interfere with pictures and signs with some good facts and history of the model you are looking at.

I highly recommend to anyone who likes cars.