“Basic accomodation in lieu of camping...but Stella's kitchen!”
Review of Olga's Pension

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rethymnon
Olga's Pension
Ranked #39 of 46 Rethymnon B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 January 2013

The place is right in the middle of old town Rethymnon, renovated and taken care off, but unless you tear down some of these Turkish or Venetian era structures and start from the beginning, nothing is that good. The operative words are small, clean, basic. If you are an adventurer but do not want to camp, go for it.
Actually my review is about Stella's Kitchen (that's what they are calling their diner, right next door) They... are George and Stella (Olga is the daughter). I discovered it because nothing is open during Winter. We needed to supervise the Olive picking (to produce the best Olive Oil in the world!), but needed food... and being the foodies we are, we cannot settle for stale bread sandwiches or lykewarm and mass produced food at the various diners - we found this authentic gem.
For 6 euro per plate, you can ask Stella to put on anything you see displayed on her kitchen. The cooking skills are fantastic and the dishes (about 6-7 every day) depend on what is freshly available that day. At the same time you can chat with the expat community - daily customers, the local doctor, the savvy computer guy fixing ot replacing for free, ask for advice, get directions, tips, get a free coffee or a local moonshine. The place is open year round from 7am to 7pm (summer until 8pm - once you eat there once, you will be hard pressed to leave the place for something else! my advice...go there for real food!

Room Tip: located in a quiet area of the town
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank EVADS

Reviewed 30 December 2012

I have stayed at Olga's pension several times, George the owner very friendly and totally helpful, Stella his wife, who runs the restaurant downstairs is friendly and helpful too. She and Illiana cook tasty genuine home made Cretan cuisine every day. Fantastic food, best I've had anywhere in Greece. Restaurant strongly supported by locals, that says it all for me.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 June 2012

Well we're staying with George & Stella again this July. This will be my seventh visit and i cant wait to see my friends again. George is amazing, and Stella is a treasure. I love the rooms and their different charms. Yes you do have to realise that Olgas is ecelectic, but this is why I love it soo much. George spends all his time keeping everything running smoothly and he's always busy. But never to busy to stop and chat. Stella and Ilianna (hope I've spelt it right) are amazing cooks and always have a smile and a warm welcome for you. I miss all the family when I'm not there and wish I could spend more time in Crete.

Room Tip: The studios are bigger but only have double beds. Room 1 is perfect for 1-3 nights and room 3, even...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We only had 4 days to kill in Rethymnon before heading East and arrived with nowhere to stay. George gave us a very warm welcome at 7:30am, showed us to a studio room and gave us a very reasonable price for 3 nights.

I agree with a previous reviewer's first opinion - the place is eclectic and charming. The room was lovely and had the bonus of a small kitchen area, and our air con and shower worked well. Yes, the toilet did smell a bit when flushed but we spent the rest of our holiday in a 5 star resort where the drains smelled the same - and so did every other toilet on the island.

George and Stella were extremely helpful with requests for tourist information and nothing felt like too much trouble, which is why we are staying with all our guests when we marry there this summer.

Room Tip: Tell the hosts what you want!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SheFlop
Reviewed 30 August 2011

I stayed here a couple of times and always had a nice clean room in a quiet part of the house. George and Stella are amazingly friendly and helpful. Their pension is recommended in Lonely Planet and Le routard guide. The house is open all year and the comforts are plenty, heating, airco, shower, kitchen, internet, cleaning, roof terrace, use of the cafe restaurant where Stella every day makes fresh Cretan dishes at cheap prices

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo