“Good Budget Hotel”
Review of Hotel CopenHagen

Hotel CopenHagen
Ranked #101 of 119 Hotels in Copenhagen
Reviewed 24 May 2017

I looked at the TripAdvisor reviews for this hotel only after I had booked several nights' accommodation and, frankly, the comments of other guests left me a little alarmed: I expected dingy bathroom facilities and a tiny room in a fleapit with no towels, and the sound of raucous neighbours up to who-knows-what on the other side of paper-thin walls whilst carousing Danes in the street would ensure I got no rest whatsoever. However, the alarmed and alarming reviews may be exaggerating for dramatic effect.

As hotels in Copenhagen go, they tend to be expensive. This no-frills hotel is reasonably priced. I had a double room on the second floor looking out onto the street at the front. The room was fine in terms of size and facilities: a wardrobe/luggage rack, double-bed with bedside shelves and lamps, a table and chairs, a wall-mounted television and a handbasin with shelf, mirror and hairdryer together with plenty of hooks and clothes hangers.

Additional costs were incurred in the form of an additional charge for breakfast and a daily charge for WiFi. Ordinarily I would have baulked at these extras, but it was a work-funded trip, so I didn't care about these egregious extras as I would normally.

Breakfast consists of a fairly typical basic buffet: bread, ham, cheese, pate, etc., along with a selection of cereals, fruit juice, tea and coffee. I don't relish the prospect of having to get up and go out in order to find breakfast, but for those who might enjoy such an undertaking, there is a bakery almost next door and a cafe opposite the bakery so there are additional options if the in-house breakfast doesn't appeal.

There are two single showers and two single toilets on each floor so while this creates something of a hostel feel, the nearest facilities were literally just across the corridor from my room and the number of rooms per floor (about 6 or 7) meant that the facilities were always available.

Denmark uses the same two-pin plug as most other European countries. I have an EU mains adaptor that provides two UK three-pin sockets. However, the adaptor wouldn't fit the bedside sockets because the bedside shelf unit was too close to the socket (my double adaptor is quite wide). Fortunately, the room had a third socket and I also pack a mains extension cable with another four UK sockets. The allowed me to have enough bedside sockets to charge a phone and a tablet whilst also running a laptop.

(At check-in I was asked how many devices I had and was give a username and passcode for each.)

WiFi is adequate for streaming radio via the BBC iPlayer. I also checked streaming video services (Netflix) and, while I didn't spend any time watching videos, I did find the bandwidth sufficient to play video without buffering.

There is no kettle provided, although a notice in reception states that a kettle can be "hired" for an additional extra cost.

The hotel declares itself a "green hotel" and asks guests to re-use towels. A sign instructs guests that, should a new towel be needed, the old towel should be dropped on the floor. However, even though I hung both my towels on the room door, I was provided with two clean towels every day. I also found my bed was made every day too. I would rather my room were left alsone, but there was not "do not disturb" sign to hang on the outside of the door.

Room Tip: There are no nets, so if you like to start the day with a set of naked star jumps keep the curtains...
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business

Reviewed 16 May 2017 via mobile

Chose this hotel because it was cheaper than most of the other hotels I looked at in central Copenhagen and as I was traveling solo I don't really mind about sharing a bathroom or having a small room as I tend to only sleep in hotels, after reading some of the reviews on here I was surprised to find how nice the hotel actually is and comfortable too, don't get me wrong this is a budget hotel but is more expensive than the rest of Europe due to Denmark being an expensive country but in comparison to other budget hotels I've stayed at this is very clean and well looked after, you do share toilet and shower facilities but it's only between a handful of rooms on each floor and is stated before on the booking sites, very close to metro and easy to find, all in all I would recommend this hotel if on a budget or don't mind basic rooms and facilities

Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank devonsown
Reviewed 29 April 2017 via mobile

Old, dirty, smelly and noisy structure. "The apartment" was a single room without space for movement. The bathroom had a central drain in which at open air the shower and the basin water flowed. At arrival we were given only one small towel each. The fridge was so full of ice that could not close and dropped water on the floor. Internet connection is not free!
Price compared to the quality and service is outrageous.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Gianmaria C
Reviewed 29 March 2017

it's cheap but you don't have your own shower or even your own toilet and as someone stated before the noise from other rooms might be too much.
you'll have to pay 40 Krone per day for wifi and breakfast woiuld cost you 70 Krone and is no more than ok.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 March 2017 via mobile

I had booked a room at the hotel. The room was not clean and smelled bad.
After complaing about the room was not clean. We asked for a different room or to have the room cleaned.
Even though they did have a room available they wanted us to pay an additional 200 dollars for another room.
The service in the reception was very bad.
We will never stay there again.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple