“Unexpectedly Very Good Dining”
Review of Zum Franziskaner

Zum Franziskaner
Ranked #322 of 3,391 Restaurants in Stockholm
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Gamla Stan & Riddarholmen
Description: One of Swedens oldest restaurants and beer halls focusing on Swedish and German food and craft beer. New management since July 2017 and in January 2018 it has been renovated and restored.
Reviewed 16 September 2017 via mobile

Visited this Gamla Stan pub and restaurant because my traveling companions had a taste for liver. Limited menu, so I had my doubts. That, and I thought it a challenge to find good German offerings in Stockholm. Busy Friday night, with mostly drinkers. I considered Pork Schnitzel, which I enjoy on my frequent trips to Münich, but opted for Steak au poivre, expecting only acceptable quality beef. The results were outstanding. Companions loved the liver. My beef was the best I've had in Europe, with a flavorful sauce, potato croquettes and bacon wrapped haricot verts. Bacon, however, was well undercooked, my only criticism. Ask for a table away from the front door; it was a tad chilly and we requested a move after being seated.

Reviewed 1 September 2017 via mobile

After ten days of eating high end cruise ship food, it was refreshing to sit down with locals and have some beer and brats. This place was recommended by our tour bus operator, so we took a ten minute cab ride and waded into the crowd. This is pub food, so they offer an extensive beer list and enough menu choices to satisfy most people. We liked the sauerkraut and brats and the pork schnitzel. The waiter spoke good English, and the service was friendly and efficient. The interior is original and while noisy, it is a fun place to have dinner with friends.

Reviewed 22 August 2017

An historical restaurant where you can find good beer as well as swedish food (with some german influence). Both fish and meat are very good, staff is really kind and, while waiting for food, they broth us some grissini with a fantastic herbal cheese cream!

Reviewed 21 August 2017 via mobile

I had the schnitzel, lots of food as it should be and a real treat. I had the Hefeweissen on tap and a schnaps (OP) to go with that. Several nice hefeweissens on bottle, I had the Spezial as a treat after dinner. The new owners has done wonders with this place, which I always liked but was never as good as now. Very german style interior persists...

Reviewed 2 August 2017 via mobile

This is one of the few genuine Bierhalle in Stockholm, and also one of the oldest continuosly operating restaurants. New owners have revitalized the place, and seervice and food has improved. The beer menu could be longer, and maybe it will improve with time. Anyway, you already find some good local beers, and as said, the food is great. The schnitzel is the long time classic, and now I discovered calf liver!