“Only the location is really convincing”
Review of Scandic Anglais

Scandic Anglais
Ranked #76 of 155 Hotels in Stockholm
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 July 2017

We were asking for a family room for 2 adults + 2 teens, and got a room with 2 beds and a bed sofa in a row along the wall. No place for luggage, and the wardrobe was ridiculously small, with only 1 shelf and 7 hangers - for 4 people!
The hotel has a disco bar at the 7th floor, needless to mention that it was quite noisy in our room located 2 floors below.
Many families with small children, a quiet breakfast is almost impossible.
The only positive point to report is the very central location, close to the shopping area and the old town. Basically everything is at walking distance.
It was my first and last time at this hotel.

Room Tip: Just choose another hotel...
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Maria N, Marketing Coordinator at Scandic Anglais, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2017

Hej Metzlev! Thank you for rating us and for leaving your feedback. I'm sorry to hear that the room did not match your expectations. I understand that it was quite tight for two teens to share a bed sofa, as it is intended to fit 2 children up to 12 years. I'll definitely convey your wish for more hangers in the closet to our housekeeping manager. As you say, a doubleroom for 4 people is not optimal, I would next time recommend one of our spacious suites instead! Very sorry to hear that you got disturbed by our rooftop bar. We are currently testing a certain music equipment that will hopefully suppress the noise level in the future. Despite this above, I'm happy that you enjoyed the central location of the hotel. Wish you a wonderful summer! Best regards, Camilla Abrahamsson

Write a ReviewReviews (1,157)

Reviewed 13 July 2017

The good news first--the location of the hotel is quite convenient for getting around to Stockholm's many sights and attractions, as well as dining options. The room was quite small, though that is to be expected in a city like Stockholm and I don't hold that against them, and it appears to have been recently refurbished. And the WiFi is free and pretty fast. However, despite those pluses, we had a number of problems. Our room, on the top floor of the hotel, was unbearably hot and there is no means of regulating the temperature on your own, though there are instructions to contact the front desk to have this taken care of for you. But there is no instruction in the room on how to contact the front desk, and the label on phone in our room that I presume should indicate which button to use to ring for room service, housekeeping and the front desk has been rubbed clear of text, so it's useless. When I went down to ask the front desk to lower the room temperature, the man on duty was clearly out of his depth (it being one of his first days on the job, as he told me) and he could not manage it, nor could he replace the dead batteries in our TV remote. So we opened the window to try to cool down the room, which meant of course that the room would be bathed in light as soon as the sun rose, which in mid-summer Stockholm is quite early. Tried to have the temperature reduced again the next day, and after two requests, nothing happened.

Breakfast is very good at the hotel, and was included in our rate. The selection on offer is enormous and all of very good quality. But, on our second day, the breakfast area was completely deserted. When I asked at the front desk whether there was no breakfast that day, I was told that, for that day only, they had moved breakfast to another location. When I suggested that perhaps they should put a note up somewhere to that effect, I was greeted by the sort of shrug of the shoulders that I associate more with travel in the developing world than in one of the world's most advanced nations. Overhearing other travellers' comments in the breakfast area, it was clear I was not the only one who had to go in search of breakfast.

I wish I could give a better review of the hotel, but unless they do something to smarten up the service provision it's hard to give more than three stars.

Room Tip: Avoid the top floor in summer
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business

Hi James! Thank you for rating us and for leaving your feedback. I'm so very sorry to hear that the room was too hot. As you wrote, the temperature is regulated by our front desk staff, which may not be optimal. We are reviewing other options and I hope we will come up with a better solution soon. In each room we have a telephone guide with numbers to the reception, restaurant etc. I am so very sorry that you did not notice this and I completely understand that you thought that you should use the buttons on the phone. Of course, it is not acceptable for you to be treated by inexperienced staff, without any experienced staff around that can help. I'll take this on with our front desk staff so this will not happen again. Happy to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast but I'm sorry that the information that it moved during one day was not clarified. We'll for sure not repeat this mistake. We always strive to deliver the best possible service so it makes me concerned to hear that you did not get that experience. I hope that we will get a chance to welcome you back some day, we will make sure to spoil you a little extra! Hope you had a nice visit in Stockholm, wish you a lovely summer! Best regards, Camilla Abrahamsson

Reviewed 11 July 2017

Very Nice location 2 min walk from the shopping centers .. Right across the street Humlan is a summer club/ Bier garden that is really fun and on the other side Vapiano with the famous pasta pizza bar station that is also a very convenient option for lunch & dinner .
The hotel is not too modern but the rooms are nice and clean .. if you visist stockholm in summer just don't forget to close all the curtains in the room before going to sleep because the sun rises around 3 am.
The breakfast is fresh and healthy but not too much variety

Room Tip: good location
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
Maria N, Manager at Scandic Anglais, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2017

Hi! Thank you so much for rating us! We really appreciate hearing your feedback. We are looking over the possibilities of renovating our rooms, as they are not newly renovated as other parts of the hotel. Glad you thought the room was nice & clean and that the breakfast was fresh and healthy. I'll definitely inform our breakfast manager that we can get better with the variety. We're so happy to hear that you had a pleasant stay and that you enjoyed the central location close to both bars, shopping and restaurants. Hope you tried any of our tasty pizzas or pastas at Jamie's Italian too, so good! And yes - the days are very long during summer time in Stockholm so that was a great tip :-) Welcome back to us soon! Best regards, Camilla Abrahamsson

Reviewed 11 July 2017 via mobile

Stayed here quite a few times because of proximity to our Stockholm office (and we have a corp rate here).
Rooms are in need of renovation but location is good. Breakfast is very basic but ok. Always noisy though, personally I don't mind the distant noise from surrounding night clubs but last time I stayed they had a nightclub on the terass. Couldn't watch TV since I couldn't hear it no matter how much I turned up the volume so bring earplugs if you intend to get any sleep during summer months.
There are a number of hotels in the area so I'd look elsewhere first.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Maria N, Manager at Scandic Anglais, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2017

Hi Johan! Thank you for rating us. We really appreciate hearing your feedback. We are aware of that our rooms needs to be renovated and hope that we can to go through with it soon. I'm so sorry to read that you got disturbed by our terrace bar. As the dj stops playing at 10 pm we would hope that our guests will not be affected by the sounds from the bar after that. Anyway, I understand that when visiting the hotel for work purposes, you may want to be able to watch TV and relax before 10 pm too. Once again, I'm so sorry that you were disappointed this time. I hope that we can get a chance to welcome you back some day when the terrace bar is closed for the season. Wish you a lovely summer! Best regards, Camilla Abrahamsson

Reviewed 5 July 2017

The room was a reasonable size, nicely laid out and clean. But for a double room was poorly equipped with only one chair, no proper pillows (only one cushion-size one per person) and no sheet on the bed just a quilt that was too hot forvthis time of year. The electronic door/lift key kept malfunctioning and had to be re-programmed. There was only a thin net curtain on the window, no light-exclyding curtain at a time of year when it is light for most of the night - so poor sleep quality. Only two lifts for 8 floors of rooms and one lift broke on second day we were there. Meant long waits to get up to 5th floor. Would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Maria N, Manager at Scandic Anglais, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2017

Hi! Thank you so much for your feedback, although it is worrying to see the low rating. I'll definitely take your input further and talk to our housekeeping manager about the equipment you missed in the room. Regarding the key, you sometimes need to repeat the procedure to hear the beep, but of course it should not be as difficult as you describe. We'll look over the possibilities to replace or re-program them if the problem continues. As you mention we only have two elevators, too bad to hear that one of them broke during your stay, especially when you lived on the 5th floor. We try to refer our guests who have the opportunity and who live on one of the lower floors to use the stairs instead, in order to reduce queues. We are well aware of the problem and we hope to be able to come up with a solution soon. Even though you were disappointed this time, I really hope we'll get the chance to welcome you back someday so we can spoil you a little extra. Have a wonderful summer! Best regards, Camilla Abrahamsson