We recently stayed at SBV in Baan Sarika - supposedly the premium villa, with a premium price. Let me be clear, this is not luxury.
The villa is in desperate need of repair, air conditioning, toilets and showers do not work and there are broken floor boards everywhere. The walls are stained and have holes in them, the curtains and even the sheets have holes throughout. The spa doesn't work in either bedroom 1 or bedroom 2 and the steam room in bedroom 1 produces less steam than the shower. The beds are great if you're used to sleeping on concrete. Oh I forgot to mention that the hot water lasts for about 5 minutes. All for the low low price of AUD$1,000 per night.
The staff are what saves this place. They were pleasant and helpful and tried futilely to make up for the pathetic villa experience with great service and charm. The management were quick to respond to issues as well - at one stage we had coconuts falling in the pool and this was rectified quickly by employing someone to climb up and remove coconuts from the palm tree overhanging the pool. We had some lovely people at SBV assist during our stay (Ying babysat our kids for a night and Fiona organised some fantastic private boat charters for us and the private chef is simply awesome) but ultimately this was a substandard experience.
To top it all off we had a booming construction industry project in the villa behind us. Come to SBV and wake up to grinders, drills and saws each morning. If only someone had thought to apply those tools to our villa before we stayed.
If you're considering SBV for a luxury holiday, think again and go somewhere else.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Shiva Samui, the new name for Samui Beach Village is a luxury beachfront villa resort in Koh Samui, Thailand. We offer luxury villas from 2 to 5 bedrooms each with private pools, daily maid service and everything you expect from a luxury resort. We also have 1 or 2 bedroom Ocean Rooms with beautiful Ocean views and the resort boasts a Clubhouse with Restaurant, Flood-lit Tennis Court, Fitness Center, Spa, complimentary Water Sports, a FREE Children's Club and more. Brand New for 2016 is our newly opened Beach Club, with a top class beach side restaurant, terrace, and stunning pool with jacuzzi and swim up bar for relaxing and unwinding day and evening. All with over 90 on-site staff and concierge hotel-style services. Ideal for a romantic getaway, a family holiday or your perfect beach wedding. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your Shiva Samui reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Samui Beach Village Hotel Koh Samui
- Shiva Samui Ko Samui, Thailand