“Good location and full board was a bonus but some shortcomings”

Clarion Collection Hotel Kompaniet
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Nykoping
Reviewed 29 July 2017

We were in Nykoping for the weekend for a wedding, so knew we wouldn't be spending much time in the hotel but the time we did spend there needed to meet our needs.

The setting of the hotel is great - right on the banks of the river with a lovely grassed area with casual seating below the restaurant terrace.

The room we had was basic but clean and of a reasonable size by European standards.

The breakfast was great and an added bonus was that our rate included a very adequate smorgasboard dinner and lunch each day as well, so we were well catered for in that respect.

So, what were the downsides?

The bar is small and didn't cater very well for the number of guests. On one evening, the bar attendant was downright rude under pressure - I could see he was struggling but sniping at guests wasn't the way to handle it.

Like so many hotels in Europe, it doesn't offer tea and coffee making facilities in the room (this is a constant irritation when travelling in Europe). We were able to wander down to reception and make ourselves some but that took the joy out of sitting up in bed with a cuppa planning the day ahead. For a start, you had to put some clothes on!
We're at that age where we actually choose hotels based on this sort of thing!

If any of you have read some of my other reviews, you'll know I have an interest in bathrooms and how well they cater to the travelling woman (and there's a lot of us!). Again, the hair dryer was a pithy excuse for an appliance - one of those left over from the cold war if you know what I mean. Less than 1000 watts and you had to hold the button down to keep it on while you're trying to dry your hair. And there was no shampoo and conditioner - just the body wash pump in the shower.
Come on Clarion....it won't break the bank to impress female guests with some quality bathroom amenities.

It was a very warm weekend so we opened the windows at night, only to be kept awake by a band and revellers at a drinking venue between the hotel and the old fort, a short walk away. While this didn't ruin our weekend, the lack of sleep may have fuelled the irritation level about the other things!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Johannahellstrom, Hotelldirektör at Clarion Collection Hotel Kompaniet, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2017

Dear Bernadette,
Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor - of course we want all feedback, both good and bad experiences! Here I understand that we delivered a bit of both. We always aim to deliver high service and I’m truly sorry that we didn’t succeed all the way here.

I’m very happy to read that you liked the setting of the hotel and enjoyed all our meals that are included - breakfast, afternoon snack and Tonight’s Special. When looking at our profile I also understand that you are a frequent traveler so happy that we did meet your expectations here!

Of what I understand you stayed in a standard room at the hotel, we also have superior rooms that are equipped with facilities for coffee and tea and amenities like shampoo, conditioner etc. Sounds like the hairdryer needs to be changed – thank you for noticing!

Our experience in the bar does not sound like something that we want our guests to experience. Do not hesitate to contact me directly on johanna.hellstrom@choice.se and I’m happy to listen to what went wrong here. I hope that you chose to come back and give us another chance, I’m sure that we can deliver better then 3 out of 5.

Reviewed 21 June 2017

Very polite and professional staff, rooms could be bigger and more quiet. Nice Breakfast and Dinner, very cosy terrasse and garden. Very close to the harbour and town-center. So far the best Hotel i have been in Nyköping.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with NordicChoiceHotels.com
Johannahellstrom, Hotelldirektör at Clarion Collection Hotel Kompaniet, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2017

Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor!

Happy to hear that you had a nice stay and enjoyed our lovely location next to Nyköping river. Hope to see you soon again!

Have a nice summer & welcome back!

Reviewed 19 June 2017

Clarion says they love you. I say they love your money. We booked a superior room well in advance. Got put up in room on the ground floor with insufficient ventilation and a street frequented by noisy traffick and drunk people (some urinating against the façade next to our window). We fell asleep at 4 in the morning, thanks to earplugs provided by the kind night staff. Staff confirmed that they have had these complaints from quests several times before, so I say here they rather make some extra money than having happy customers…

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with NordicChoiceHotels.com

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor - of course we want all feedback, both good and bad experiences! Here I totally understand that the noice from outside disturbed your good night sleep and I'm truly sorry to read that you left the hotel with that experience.

We are located close to the harbour that, during the summer, is a popular place for dinner and drinks. Although it usually is not that disturbing but it sounds like it was something special for this night... Do not hesitate to contact me on johanna.hellstrom@choice.se.

I hope that you give us another chance and that we get a chance to welcome you back to us again. I'm sure that we can deliver better than 1 out of 5.

Reviewed 13 June 2017 via mobile

Earlier on the day for the arrival we tried to call the hotel. After 18 minutes waiting we gave up.
Finally there we get a room (250) that smelled like lump clothing and sweat. Went back to the reception and the nice lady informs about that they just have over more available room and we get that one instead. Well, the smell is the same and after had the window open for two hours it's still there...

Let's hope the breakfast tomorrow is phenomenal because that is the last thing that can make me consider this as a hotel.
Right now, the feeling is that if it would have been a hostel it would probably have been value for money and ok it's cheaper than hotels normally cost in bigger towns but this is Nyköping not Stockholm and this hotel is absolutely not worthy to hold the clarion name that normally means good nice clean and fresh hotels.
I have about 150 nights a year at hotels and If I was clarion I would be ashamed.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business

Hi Johan,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor - of course we want all feedback, both good and bad experiences! Also thank you for taking the time to talk to me on the phone after you checked out here and happy that we had a good talk and I hope that you also felt that I took your complaint seriously and that this is not something that we are used to hear.

Have a nice midsummer Johan!

Reviewed 28 May 2017 via mobile

A very nice hotel in the center of the small town Nyköping, 100 km southwest of Stockholm.
The staff is very serviceminded and the hotel is clean and fresh.
A great breakfast and evening meal is included.
Easy access to Skavsta by localbus or taxi and walkingdistance to trainstation which take you to central Stockholm in 60 min.
But also to Copenhagen (5hrs) and other cities in Sweden.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business

Dear Marcus,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor!

Happy to hear that you had a nice stay and enjoyed it here with us. Hope to see you soon again!

Have a nice summer & welcome back!
Johanna Hellström

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nykoping
0.8 km away
39.3 km away
Sodertuna Slott
Sodertuna Slott
#1 of 2 in Gnesta

Been to Clarion Collection Hotel Kompaniet? Share your experiences!